Riding to Gillette?

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Just-Beeming
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Riding to Gillette?

Post by Just-Beeming »

Mr Beeming and I are tossing around the idea of riding to Gillette.

We are not that 'into' Rallies, but it may be a long time before another National is within easy striking distance of the Northwest....Thinking of riding East to the Rally then North and West back home though Canada. A nice little 5500 mile jaunt.

Any one else going? It is always nice to see a group of R's hanging out.

Just-Beemiing
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Re: Riding to Gillette?

Post by Biff's R »

My dad and I have talked about going briefly. He is probably in, but I need to figure out how I can do this. He is retired.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

I was thinking about doing the "cowboy hat trick" -- the Black Hills BMW Stampede, the MOA Rally, then the Top O' the Rockies rally. That oughta do me for the Summer. #-o
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Sparky says I can do this one by myself. She don't want to ride that far and camp and stuff. So I think I'll plan on it. I really like going west. I don't know about the Hat Trick combo. I have to be back at work the first week of August.
There may be one or two GA. club guys going with me, but I'm not sure right now. I really prefer traveling alone on these long treks, but the motel stays are obviously cheaper with two folks.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Boxer wrote:Sparky says I can do this one by myself. She don't want to ride that far and camp and stuff. So I think I'll plan on it. I really like going west. I don't know about the Hat Trick combo. I have to be back at work the first week of August.
There may be one or two GA. club guys going with me, but I'm not sure right now. I really prefer traveling alone on these long treks, but the motel stays are obviously cheaper with two folks.

Sorry, Phil, but I see a discrepancy here. You say Sparky doesn't want to ride that far and CAMP, yet later you mention splitting the cost of MOTEL stays with one of your GA club guys. [-X I'm taking Sparky's side. If she has to camp, so do they.

I may be there. I'll be in Wyoming at some point this summer, and if it coincides with the rally, I'll come by - but I'm not much of the 'rally' type. Crowds overwhelm me.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

GypsyRR wrote:[
I may be there. I'll be in Wyoming at some point this summer, and if it coincides with the rally, I'll come by - but I'm not much of the 'rally' type. Crowds overwhelm me.
It is worth it for the opportunity to win a new bike at the Saturday night raffle. There are always lots of big giveaways. [-o<
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

The moteling is for "on the way TO the rally". Camping is what's done while AT the rally. Trust me! She knows the gig. I keep nothing from Sparky. And it wouldn't work even if I tried. She has ESP. :mrgreen:
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Depending on a couple of unrelated factors I might be going to Gillette. Sort of conversing with some old riding buddies in Nevada about summer rides...they can't make up their minds! If they don't make a firm commitment I'll probably head to Gillette for much the same reasons you're considering. Probably only National that will ever happen within reasonable striking distance. Live west of Seattle and already looking at a variety of routes to/from Gillette. I'm retired, so can afford to meander a bit! :D

Ciao! BJ
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

Ah to retire and meander!

You give me hope! :smt006
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Just be careful what you wish for...my retirement was much earlier than expected due to health issues. After 8 and half heart surgeries it was time to get out of the daily grind. Things are going just fine now as I'm still six feet over instead of six feet under. :D

Now since it's a semi-sunny day outside, guess I'll go meander a bit! 8)

Be of good health! BJ
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

BJ
Thanks for your insight. I am happy you are here to have this conversation.

Hope you had a nice Meander. :smt024 :smt024 :smt038

'Beeming
Last edited by Just-Beeming on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Meandering this afternoon was just a shortish ride into Silverdale, Starbuck's for a quick cup, then putting around for a few more minutes on a different route home. But it's always good to meander...here...there...etc.

Thanks for your good wishes...Im real happy to still be here enjoying life, and my grandson.

Perhaps we'll meet some day, maybe on a ride to Wyoming!

Ciao! BJ
frozennorth
Lifer
Donating Member #: 506

Post by frozennorth »

Me and Mrs. North, the father-in-law with his Montauk and sidecar, the brother-in-law with his GS, and Dwayne from down east are thinking of coming down from the frozen north. Not a big rally guy, but I can think of worse things than a couple of days of looking at bikes, displays, and crankin out some fun-rides around the area. Also, it gives us a destination to ride to, which is always good :D Any other Canuckelheads thinking of going?
Red 02, R1150R
Member # 506
I am an empty hospital!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Leaving NJ on the 10th heading toward Spearfish. Intend to make all three rallies. Don't really have a route as I couldn't come up with a good one so it's hit the slabs and go West and then Northwest.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Post by TonyT607 »

Also leaving NJ (on the 14th) with two other guys. Due to time/job/vacation day constraints we will be (ACK!) driving in shifts, trailering Big Josh's LT, Tony K-Bike's new KGT, and my ST in an enclosed Thule trailer which we will also be bunking in at the rally. I'm so ashamed..... :oops:
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

I am going, I am not into rallies but I went to West Bend last year and had a good time, I have been retired for several years and it just keeps getting better. Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

TonyT607 wrote:Also leaving NJ (on the 14th) with two other guys. Due to time/job/vacation day constraints we will be (ACK!) driving in shifts, trailering Big Josh's LT, Tony K-Bike's new KGT, and my ST in an enclosed Thule trailer which we will also be bunking in at the rally. I'm so ashamed..... :oops:
Glad to hear the plan is still on... sad I can't go.

Need pics of this caravan of course.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

TonyT607 wrote:Also leaving NJ (on the 14th) with two other guys. Due to time/job/vacation day constraints we will be (ACK!) driving in shifts, trailering Big Josh's LT, Tony K-Bike's new KGT, and my ST in an enclosed Thule trailer which we will also be bunking in at the rally. I'm so ashamed..... :oops:
Well - at least it's an enclosed trailer. You could always put some Harley stickers on the outside then, hopefully, no one will guess that you are trailering some of BMWs best long distence touring bikes. If you see an old guy with long white hair riding West on a black R1200R with Jersey plates say hi. :D :D
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Post by TonyT607 »

mogu83 wrote:Well - at least it's an enclosed trailer. You could always put some Harley stickers on the outside then, hopefully, no one will guess that you are trailering some of BMWs best long distence touring bikes. If you see an old guy with long white hair riding West on a black R1200R with Jersey plates say hi. :D :D
Good one Harry... :lol: Make sure you come by and say hi. We'll have a cooler all stocked up of course.

That goes for the rest of you knuckleheads.
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Tony,
I see you have a R50/5 -- me too, mines a 71. Here's a pic of it at Antietam battlefield in Maryland, I rode over there while attending the Square Root Rally. Naturally I rode it from home and back.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358