Brake recall

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hass
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Brake recall

Post by hass »

Just got a letter in the post from BMW Sweden asking me to bring in my bike for a recall on the front brake lines. It seems they can leak brake fluid!

Anyone heard of this?
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
DanFD82
Basic User

Re: Brake recall

Post by DanFD82 »

Yes, I'll bring in my R12R next week.
An article on motorradonline.de says, that ca. 37,000 bikes are recalled (12GS, 12R and 12ST) which were build between August 2006 and February 2008.

Of course it's annoying for me to bring in a bike which I have bought only two weeks ago (a used one), but on the other hand I find it good that they change the parts before serious accidents happen.
BMW R1200R, nachtschwarz uni.
stogiepuffer
Basic User

Post by stogiepuffer »

Hello, Does anyone know if this recall is on Euro bikes only or will it entail our bikes on this side of the pond?
Graf
Basic User
Donating Member #: 642

Post by Graf »

...so far I have not heard anybody mentioning this in USA.....no letter either....i have 08 R12R
Alex G. - San Francisco Bay Area - Member # 642
08 R1200R
07 GSX R600 - Totalled by EX SO
jomo
Basic User

Post by jomo »

Got the letter today aswell. I phoned "my" BMW garage, they told me to get back to them in a couple of weeks.. They had no spareparts yet..

You could ask yourself why they send out a letter, stating you should make a reservation asap, when there are no sparparts available.. :-k
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Brake recall

Post by Dan-A »

Apparently I have already had the leak: Here is my post about what I thought to be a oil leak that turned out to be a brake line issue, where the lines connected to the ABS controller under the tank.

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13480

I wonder if it is the same issue?
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

For me it's good news, I could use some new brake lines before my bike goes out of warranty in the next month or two... :roll:
Get Lost!
mechanic savant
Basic User

Post by mechanic savant »

Don't worry, be happy!!! US riders are expendable & not subject to stupid saftey recalls :^o
Enjoy-Rider
Basic User

Post by Enjoy-Rider »

The same in the Netherlands!
One of the members on the Dutch forum read about it on a German website so I called my dealer last week to ask him what's all about this.
He told me there would be a recall soon but that he was still waiting for the spareparts.
So they haven't sent a letter yet. I thank that's wise :lol:

It'll be an hour work.

Quite a lot of recalls lately!!! :-X
I just went back for the software of the "detonation sensor" (I'm not sure whether this is the right word #-o)
R1200R
eisen
Double Lifer

Post by eisen »

My dealer is in the middle of moving to a new building , so i won't be able to find out about this brake issue until late next week.

Just as well really, as i'm off to Spain for a week :biggrin:

I had some funny "spots" under my bike after parking it up for the night. It turned out there was some issue with the rubber excess fuel pipe under that sits under the right side of the bike. It was dripping "droplets" of fuel (or something that smelled like it...) every so often, even if the fuel tank was not overfilled. It was fixed, but i am still unclear as to what the problem was exactly :?:

Anyway, i'm going to ride a F800GS in Spain - so pics and comparison to come later...
"I am easily satisfied with the very best...."
Dan-A

Post by Dan-A »

One of my riding buddies works at a BMW dealer. I have PM'd him to see if he can find out anything.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
Dan-A

Post by Dan-A »

Dan-A wrote:One of my riding buddies works at a BMW dealer. I have PM'd him to see if he can find out anything.
He informs me there is no recall bulletin on this subject out as of today.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

Must just be a European thing... or it takes time to get to the US?
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

hass wrote:Must just be a European thing... or it takes time to get to the US?
Either that or the European laws offer more protection to the consumer.
NHTSA doesn't show any recalls on the R1200R. They do however show one on the R1200S Here it is:

Recall Number: 06V399000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, DURING ASSEMBLY, THE FINAL-DRIVE ASSEMBLY O-RING MAY NOT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY. A LEAK MAY OCCUR AT THE LOCATION OF THIS O-RING WHICH IS NEAR THE REAR BRAKE DISC.

Again that's on the R1200S.

I would imagine that any problem with the brakes would be a safety issue and get the attention of NHTSA.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Skippy
Basic User

Post by Skippy »

Enjoy-Rider wrote:The same in the Netherlands!
One of the members on the Dutch forum read about it on a German website so I called my dealer last week to ask him what's all about this.
He told me there would be a recall soon but that he was still waiting for the spareparts.
So they haven't sent a letter yet. I thank that's wise :lol:

It'll be an hour work.

Quite a lot of recalls lately!!! :-X
I just went back for the software of the "detonation sensor" (I'm not sure whether this is the right word #-o)
Enjoy Rider I also own a R1200R and mine is from the period mentioned. I haven't heard a thing about the detonation sensor you mention so could you please tell me what was going on. The dealer where I bought the bike has stopped selling and servicing BMW bikes(only cars now) and so they selected a new dealer in Goes. I asume the recall will be made by a letter from the Dutch importer but if it's done by the dealers I'm hoping everything goes well during the switch of dealerships. I would apreciate it if you'll would let me know when you recieve a letter about the recall so I can stay on top of this. I'm glad the recall is made though as there have been a couple of cases where people lost all there brakepower when a fitting snapped near the ABS unit. Anyway I will hop by the new dealer when I get a chance to get the low down on these cases.
Black '06 R1200R
Graf
Basic User

Post by Graf »

......when the dealer replaced my ring antenna (see EWS problem)....he also said that they have done a software update to the "Detonation Sensor"...this is something to do with the anti-knocking feature on the bike...I see no difference between how the engine performed before and after.....
08 R1200R
Enjoy-Rider
Basic User

Post by Enjoy-Rider »

Skippy, this is what I had been able to find for you:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/s ... art/1/vc/1

But it's a loooooong story!! :roll:

I read about it on the Dutch RT-forum.......had not heard anything from my dealer yet, but my bike had to go there anyway to build in a communuication system, so I called them to ask them whether the software update was applicable for my bike ("yes") and if they could do it simutanously ("yes").
I know some others where called by there dealers, have not heard about a letter.

It had to do with some accidents at the Dutch police who uses R1200RT's. The piston could break in pieces and the rear wheel could block at once.
After that, the police forbade the RT's to drive any longer until the problem had been solved by BMW. That's why they made a software update.
But it only seems to happen at high speeds, maybe they thougt in the USA people never drive at high speeds the way we do here in Europe ;)
R1200R
baffler
Basic User

Post by baffler »

I just today got a letter from my Swiss dealer asking me to bring the bike in to change the front brake lines because the current (production) ones can get damaged, leak, then run out of fluid. It only affects the front brakes, and leaks would be evident if there was a potential problem. They'll change the lines free of charge and it should take 1.5 hours. They don't have the parts yet unfortunately, and they won't be available until next week.

As luck would have it I just yesterday changed my front tire and they checked the brakes for damage and everything is fine. I'll be riding to Corsica next week so they had better stay functional until I can bring it in for a service in two weeks. A little concerning but I think it's BMW just being extra cautious. I do hope it improves braking (unlikely) because I do find the pressure point for the brake levers to be quite "deep" and "squishy". I would really prefer a harder early brake point.

I had the oil pilot window changed (under warranty) due to a leaky seal, but otherwise that's the only issue I've had in over 14,000 kms.
Graf
Basic User

Post by Graf »

Enjoy-Rider wrote:Skippy, this is what I had been able to find for you:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/s ... art/1/vc/1

But it's a loooooong story!! :roll:

I read about it on the Dutch RT-forum.......had not heard anything from my dealer yet, but my bike had to go there anyway to build in a communuication system, so I called them to ask them whether the software update was applicable for my bike ("yes") and if they could do it simutanously ("yes").
I know some others where called by there dealers, have not heard about a letter.

It had to do with some accidents at the Dutch police who uses R1200RT's. The piston could break in pieces and the rear wheel could block at once.
After that, the police forbade the RT's to drive any longer until the problem had been solved by BMW. That's why they made a software update.
But it only seems to happen at high speeds, maybe they thougt in the USA people never drive at high speeds the way we do here in Europe ;)
read my post above....I am in USA
08 R1200R
Enjoy-Rider
Basic User

Post by Enjoy-Rider »

Graf wrote:read my post above....I am in USA
Oops.......sorry! 8-[

So "SF Bay Area" is USA?
How was I supposed to know?
I live in Varseveld.........did you know that's in the Netherlands? ;)
R1200R