Bash Raffle [UPDATED] Now, Member Drive Bike GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Should we have a raffle to support R1150R.net??

Poll ended at Sat May 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Yes I'm in
44%
Nah, no thanks
6%
Dont care! If there was a raffle, I'd join in, if there wasnt, hey more beer for me. :)
22%
I couldnt contain myself, I'm not going to the Bash, I must vote on every poll. I wish you all a safe journey!
28%

Total votes: 18

Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Bash Raffle [UPDATED] Now, Member Drive Bike GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!

Post by Doug »

I will be updating this thread when details of the raffle are organized. Read below for tentative details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please vote only if you are attending the bash!!!!!

As per Herb's suggestion, what do you guys think about having a raffle to help earn funds for the site? We'd have to hash out a couple things..
1. Who can help organize it while in PA (I cant make it this year)
2. What do we raffle off?

I was thinking maybe an ipod shuffle (http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/features.html) (or two depending on the # of people going - does anyone have a final count?), and/or some sort of useful paraphernalia (chain lock or something). Maybe we can get a business to donate items?

We'd have to figure out how much each ticket would cost.. Maybe $1/ticket - we'd also have to figure out the # of people interested and then price and choose the prizes accordingly.
Member #1
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Re: L'Beakster Bash Raffle

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Great, thanks! Let us know what they say. I'd be happy to offer some website advertising for their donation.
Member #1
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Doug,

I'll offer a 2003 Yamaha XT225 ( http://www.xt225.com/ ) similar to the one in the right middle picture for $10.00 per ticket for paid in full (current) members only. Registered but non-members and members who have lapsed, who pay you $25.00 for a one year membership can be automatically entered with one ticket. Those who pay a Lifetime membership fee of $75.00 get 5 entry tickets. You keep the records via Paypal donations directly to you. We (the Board Mods and me) need to discuss details.

I'd suggest assigning a random number (from a finite pool) to each entry as it is paid. Keep a running list published here so it is open and transparent. Then on drawing day, we use a random number generator to select the winner. Tickets are so 20th Century.

I'll do a spec sheet and description for posting. Let's make this the May membership drive. Open now through May 31. Drawing on June 1. Title by registered mail, pickup/delivery to be arranged.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you serious?! I'll be buying a few tickets myself!! (Just kidding, even if I did win, no one would believe it wasnt rigged!) :) WOW Mike, thats just over the top! Is that garage getting a little tight?! :)

Wow, I'm just amazed you're offering the bike up.. am I reading this correctly? What do you need in exchange for the bike?

I like all the details you've laid out.
Member #1
stilldking
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 594

Post by stilldking »

Ok, I've gotta ask... Can those of us not going to the Bash enter into this raffle?

Work (new job starting friday), distance (NoDak, enuf said) and time are against me so I won't be able to make it, but I like this site and want to support it and enter the raffle if possible (as I'm sure some others not going might as well).

Thanks
John C.
John C
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Like he said, this would be more of a member drive, going through the end of the month. So, yes yo ucan join in if you are not attending the bash. This is open to everyone.

We can still do something small at the bash if that makes sense and people are interested.

Details on the member drive to follow..
Member #1
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'll buy a ticket or tickets for whatever you guys decide on. If you go the route that Mike mentioned I will become a multiple life member (or whatever it's called).

What you guys don't know is that while riding the fire trails in Va last week Mike hit a log, dumped his bike and hit his head.

But I'll support his idea anyway. 8-[ 8-[
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Bash Raffle [UPDATED] Now, Member Drive Bike GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!

Post by sjbmw »

Mike, this is OFF THE HOOK! I am speechless. Thank you.

Something this monumental needs time to advertise and percolate.

Let's make it a summertime drive, with a August-September drawing.
Have Mike draw the winner at a late summer/fall bash!
(Winner need not be present)

Damn, in return, we can have an all summer long raffle thread in the newly launched "Mike's Playhouse".
So get a nice smile for your avatar Mike.

People can make their case how they deserve to win, and we can have a cyber food fight disputing their logic. :)

For the record, I want to be as far away from this process as possible, I want to buy tickets! I got a 15 year old son that will need a FIRST BIKE. (but who gets to ride it...ME!)

Please give us mods dispensation.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

To clarify........

Mike did not hit his head. Mike did not transform overnite into a generous benefactor as a result of hitting his head.

He was born that way. :D :D
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

Herb, I agree I should handle enough items to permit any other member the chance to win without any fear of conflict. I also appreciate the idea of a longer duration - any one with marketing experience to advise us about short term versus long term fund raising wisdom? I think the lightning quick May 31 is too short after all, but September (Labor Day) might be too long. Hmmmm! Let's see what Mark, Brian or others suggest. Finally, a thread to carry the information from day to day is good... more thoughts for food!

M
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

I can attest to 3 things:

1. Mike's garage is a little tight, especially when company comes! :lol:

2. The little Yamaha is fun to ride!

3. Mike is generous with his friends.

This needs to stretch out long enough to generate some money and build some suspense! :smt023
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

There's no reason the original idea of raffling an ipod shuffle at the Bash needs to be scrapped. We can do that at the Bash AND run a raffle for the generously donated XT225.

Getting the word out on the board will take time so, I agree with running the bike raffle beyond the end of May. There are folks who visit only one forum and seem to be oblivious to the other sections. Timing will be key. Run it long enough so that everyone knows about it, but not so long that they get bored waiting to see who wins.

Is it worth setting a reserve and running the raffle at least until there are enough participants to meet the reserve? We're all excited about this but there may be many board visitors/members that are simply not interested in a d/s bike. I would hate to see the raffle run for 2 months and only raise a few hundred dollars. However, a time limit is absolutely necessary or the procrastinators will never participate.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Have the raffle on the Friday before Father's Day. That is about a month away, and it would make someone king of the world.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I want in, even though I am not going to THE BASH. What I could do(to myself) on the XT! 8) :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Re: Bash Raffle [UPDATED] Now, Member Drive Bike GIVEAWAY!!!

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SecondWind
Lifer

Post by SecondWind »

Yes, I am IN!
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

I spoke to one of the mods and emailed Doug. Once the details are in place (safety first, transparency, fairness doctrine, etc) we will launch. Aiming for Sunday evening/Monday morning. Running until Father's Day (Thanks. Jeff) or July 4th or Labor Day...
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Wow Mike - You're such a great guy (and I mean that)

Even though I've sold off my R1150R, my head has been swirling around maybe buying a real cheap fixer-upper or a dirt bike to ride in my woods. I'd gladly become a super quinitillion quadruple lifer for an opportunity to get in on this raffle.
2004 R1150RS
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

how the hell did I miss this post???

super sweet...i'm in. as for the bash raffle, anything and everything is cool. We got about 25 or so showing up. maybe a few more stragglers.

cool.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311