Advice on torquing valve covers please

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinW
Donating Member #: 0

Advice on torquing valve covers please

Post by MartinW »

As far as I can tell, the correct the torque setting for the valve (cyclinder head) cover bolts is 8nm.

This doesn't feel very tight and sure enough I get some oil seepage from the covers.

I am not using new gaskets - should I be? - and have lightly smeared the gasket surfaces with clean oil before re-assembly. Not sure whether I should have done this, as I have read one article which recommended this and another which suggested the opposite.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and decided to torque the bolts up a bit tighter? How tight can I safely go?
Life Member #551
02 Blue BMW R1150R non-ABS
Croc
Basic User

Re: Advice on torquing valve covers please

Post by Croc »

Martin

I did my valves for the first time recently. The instructions I followed said that the gasket and all surfaces should be CLEAN and DRY. I was not too careful with this and the result was a leak. Removed both sides, washed off all oil, dried with paper towel, torqued to 8nm and, VIOLA! NO leaks.

Try it.
Croc
Wind in your hair......

Silver '03 ABS (Twin Spark)
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Those gakets should be fine (use again and again) unless damaged.

Do not overtorque those bolts. You will strip out the holes. Some time ago, some unfortunate person did that with all 4 holes. :shock: Follow croc's advice above. It does not seem like much force on the bolts, but it shouldn't leak, mine hasn't.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

The key is to clean off the gasket, and valve cover. then no leaks. 8 nm is plenty.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Clean all mating surfaces of oil (both sides of gasket, valve cover and head) and reassemble using the specified torque and they shouldn't leak at all, ever.
Rich
ADIOS!
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Thanks for all the advice, which seems pretty emphatic: CLEAN GASKET with NO OIL.

I'm off out to the garage now.
Life Member #551
02 Blue BMW R1150R non-ABS
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Yeah. Spray good with brake cleaner and wipe all the oil and cleaner off. Then spray some brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the head and cover surfaces clean as well. I just replaced mine after using the existing ones for...I forget...maybe 30K miles or more. They still weren't leaking. I just felt it was time for a change. The new ones are much puffier! :biggrin:

8nm on the cover bolts is more than enough. If you tighten them more you will be sorry. [-X
cworley5150
Basic User

Post by cworley5150 »

Gaskets should be clean as well as the head surface. I don't use a torque wrench on the valve cover bolts. I use a screwdriver with the appropriate tox bit and tighten them down to where they are just snug and won't turn anymore. No need for a hurculean grip or anything. I've never had a leak. Same gaskets and I'm at 30k on the Rockster now. I would think these gaskets are good for the life of the bike unless one gets buggered up a little or something.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Boxers Rule! Umm. . . the bikes, not the underwear.
toolinalong
Double Lifer

Post by toolinalong »

yep. no oil. I have not used a t-wrench on those; I have always just paid attention to what they feel like as I remove them, and then tighten em up to that. It ain't much. Also, no leaks at 67k miles, but I just bought a set of replacements cause the last time I had them off they were starting to feel a bit hard.
"none.nada.thank you."