It's been a Great Ride.....

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Post by yjleesvrr »

The times I worry about the way I ride is toward the end of a long highway ride, usually on a business trip. I start to zoom around cars and trucks on the Interstate and get sloppy mentally about keeping track of my environment. I don't stop and rest enough because I'm in a hurry to get to my destination. As I near my destination - usually in a crowded region such as suburbia or even urban zones, my tired senses are unable to keep a sharp focus on the increased sensation caused by intersections, signal lights, etc. that I hadn't dealt with on the interstate I just came off of.

We all enjoy riding motorcycles because it affords us a level of speed that is usually unattainable with cars. Keeping ourselves safe and sound though means we need to be patient with our environment and maintain a slower pace. With my workaholic schedule that includes about 6k miles per month of driving/riding, patience is a commodity I seem to have a lot less of these days.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

You guys have no idea how much it hurts to (have to) turn a blind eye to all this talk of "power", brand new "retro" 1300cc Hondas, Blue & silver K1200R, FZ1, 200 horsepower factory bikes, sport, Sport, SPORT BIKES!!!

AAAaaaAAAA!!!!
:cry: :shock: :cry:

I haven't quit riding motorcycles..... hell, I haven't even canceled my insurance on the Triumph yet, for fear of losing my USAA discounted coverage!?!?!

I can't think of ANY other bike more appropriate for me than the BMW 1200CLC. But my concerns with it's power (or lack of) is overshadowed by the intent of the bike. Which makes me wonder:

Given that the bike kinda fits my trollish stature, has a CD changer for Lyle Lovett and Patsy Cline, and bags enough for cigars and clean underware..... I wonder if I would still drive it hella fast if it had a hundred horsepower????

I have never had a chance to ride a cruiser that has me sitting up right. Oh sure, I've ridden the 1200CLC.... but not enough to see how much the bike's "attitude" would/could change mine.

Still, it hurts. Knowing that I have to stay away from my favorite drug. Am I forcing myself to grow up...... at 51?

Jeez, I REALLY need a fix aboard two wheels, I'm going stir crazy. I'll tell ya what too..... the cops are really really really thick around here. Not only are we hearing on the radio where the Highway Patrol will be enforcing the law, we're hearing that they may not be as forgiving with exceeding the speed limits. All I have are two citations, and the third is inevitable (though I will go to court in the off-chance he won't show). Apparently it is no threat to my license, but I'm sure letting it effect me as if it were.

Heck, I was even considering a Ural Deco Classic with side-car!?!?!? The guy wants waaaay too much money for it though.

I'll be back in the saddle again, someday.....
Member #31
socalrob
Lifer

Pat, you the Man!

Post by socalrob »

Pat, you got to just get in that groove where riding perfection takes over from going fast. You know, riding it perfect at the speed limit. It takes skill & can be fun. Because I have kids when I go mountain riding, my goal is to make no mistakes. When I screw up (knock my line about a bit or make a pass that I know is stupid) if takes the fun away. Only kick the speed up when I know for sure where the LEO is.

The other thing, I know you are sitting on some decent equity in your house. I heard Bakersfield real estate went up 35% in the last 12 months. Have you ever noticed how latin americans seem to be happier people on average that us here in the US. I think its because they live for today, not tommorow. One thing in your life that causes you some angst, not having a SO to be responsible for, can also sound incredibly liberating. You have a state job so retirement won't be total rice & beans. Take care of yourself, but try really hard to be fair to yourself. Why save your $$ for when you may not be able to enjoy it. Do you really think as you lay dying in that hospital bed someday in the future you are going to curse yourself for spending all that time & $$ on motorcycles, one of your true passions? Or is it more likely you will lay there and think, Damn, should have scrounged up a few more $$ and rode a few more miles?

I think we need to have a contest on guesing the number of days from here on you can hold out till you buy the next bike. I feel you slipping already!

My number: 39.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

socalrob,

In all it's simplicity, I see the beauty in your post.... so true, so true. BUT there is a fine line of "living for today, to hell with tomorrow" that I frequently flirt with. Given that I have nobody else to pull me in when I need it, it's up to me. Besides, ain't nobody gonna take care of me when my drug of choice (fast bikes) gets the better of me.

I listened to Sean Hannity yesterday talking about his colonoscopy. He said he did it "for his children"...... He went on to say that if he was single with no children, hell.... he'd drive fast, smoke cigars, and drink a six pack of Heinekin a night! (I'm single, speed, smoke cigars, and have a drink a day....)

His implication that single guys with no family have no reason to (live) be concerned for their health i.e. 'Live long & healthy'....... was staggering, and actually got me to thinking that I'm ten months late on the obligatory peek at my colon at age 50.

Yeah, I want to refinance my house (again), and buy another bike. But I actually use my bike to run away from possible intimate relationships. It might be said that I avoid women and/or my family, under the guise of prefering to "socializing" with the biker brotherhood.

I'm struggling with a longing for stability, love, and contentment..... but I seem also to sabotage that which I need most in my life. Every effort to get out from behind the front site of competitive handguns, the view-finder of a camera, the malt-extract/primary/secondary of home-brewing, or a twist of the throttle on a fast motorcycle..... has each and in their own time(ing) been self imposed interventions.

Can you say "full loop"?

If I were a tall, handsome, and manly man, I would likely be a Don Juan and a model for the Eternal Youth Syndrome, aka the "Peter Pan Complex." I've got issues, and it is said that the theoretical "cure" is to die the life of danger & aloofness, and become reborn into the world of responsibility and commitment.
And sometimes...... a guy can read too much into things.

poo, I just wanna go for a ride!
Member #31
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I wonder if I would still drive it hella fast if it had a hundred horsepower????
Ther answer is yes. You know you need a bike, there's no problem with that. It sounds like you just don't need a fast bike. Granted you can exceed the speed the limit on almost anything but I think you're right on track with CLC. The bike's attitude is not about speed and the motor doesn't tempt.

An added benfit is it has decent passenger accomodations. The perfect lady for you is one that will enjoy sharing your motorcycle passion, with you driving, not her. I think you've spoken before about how so many women now want to ride their own bikes. That's a fine thing to work up to, but sharing your riding passion with a female companion ON THE SAME BIKE is a great place to start.

Dude, you know we're here for you.

DSKYZD
ButtHead

It's Been a great RIDE...

Post by ButtHead »

Pat wrote: -----, I just wanna go for a ride!

Pat:
Your last sentence says it all... Like you, I've been riding for quite a while and in all of those years I couldn't ever dream of just voluntarily 'giving it up'. As has been stated before, your giving the bikes up, was a shock... to say the least.
I think that the reason stated by you for giving them up (for a while) also bothers me greatly. Since when did our system of law enforcement get to the point where it scares somebody out of a fantastic hobby??? If you had a medical problem, financial problem (one that was real, rather than imagined) or had scared yourself with some close encounter of the deadly kind, then I would be able to better understand the reasoning... BUT to be scared, by some traffic tickets, into submission to the point selling off one's beloved bikes scares me.
Read and listen to the previous posts closely... get out there and get yourself another magical two-wheeler, the summer is going to go by real quick and the roads are beckoning... My number is 28 (from today).
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.But rather to skid in sideways, cigar in hand, beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up & totally worn out,SCREAMING YAHOO & GET-ER-DONE!!!"
Let's RIDE!
ButtHead
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

Ah yes, the CLC, we've known for some time that IS the bike for Pat.
I have ridden that bike several times, it is much easier to behave on, wish I had it for the west coast beakster bash! But you can still speed on it, it is a smooth riding bike and easy to drift a little over the posted limit on. But not nearly as easy to speed on as an RR.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.But rather to skid in sideways, cigar in hand, beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up & totally worn out,SCREAMING YAHOO & GET-ER-DONE!!!"
I wanna live longer than that, I don't wanna feel any more beat up than I do right now, and I certainly don't wanna talk about how much fun I used to have on a bike, from behind jail bars.

I'm not getting back on a sport bike! I'm gonna be one of those people that persons prone to making snide remarks will say,
"Look at that wannabe biker with all his safety gear on that Cruiser. I'll bet it's his first bike, and he bought it out of some sort of mid-life crisis. Those newbies on their oversize slow-ass bikes crack me up....."

Let 'em talk.
Member #31

Post by Guest »

Pat wrote:
"I wanna live longer than that, I don't wanna feel any more beat up than I do right now, and I certainly don't wanna talk about how much fun I used to have on a bike, from behind jail bars.
I'm not getting back on a sport bike! I'm gonna be one of those people that persons prone to making snide remarks will say,
"Look at that wannabe biker with all his safety gear on that Cruiser. I'll bet it's his first bike, and he bought it out of some sort of mid-life crisis. Those newbies on their oversize slow-ass bikes crack me up....."
Let 'em talk.
Pat:
Whatever makes you 'happy'... go for it!

ButtHead
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Steve,

SPEEDING really really fast
gives me a chemical high that I (mis)construe as feeling happy.
I'm just trying to cut back....
Member #31
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Pat - it sounds like you need to get a cruiser for sure. I've put 600 miles on my Harley in the past two weeks (rode 900 on my BMW during the same period, mostly on a trip) and have come to discover the upside to riding slower. The HD can go fast too, but it delivers more satisfaction at the speed limit than I ever thought was possible on two wheels.

If you want to keep the cost down, it seems to me that a used BMW R1200C or a new Harley Sportster 1200 (I hear the new design is far better than the previous generation model you had) should do the trick.

Of course, you could opt for one of the standards out these days that have less-than-arm-pulling power, such as the Triumph Thruxton.

Regardless, it seems to me you have a lot of suitable choices out there to prevent you from getting your license revoked.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I love the seating position on a newer Dyna Glide.... it fits.

Sportster is a Sport Bike, "Just say No".....

I have always understood the wide-glide, dual tanks, and flipped up bobbed rear fender of the Softail Standard. It's a pretty traditional (once custom) 'look', not to mention that it's as inexpensive as a Dyna.......

The Victory 8-Ball still gets my attention, a Cruiser 1200 is too gay looking (or I'm not gay enough), a full dresser 1200CLC would be perfect in Black, and if only I could pick up a 2004 Vespa GT for like.... really cheap.

And I've made passing mention of it before,
I have been robbing Peter to pay Paul the last few years just to pay for my motorcycle habit. It's caught up to me. I gotta take some time off from The Habit.
Member #31
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Pat - you consider the Sportster a sport bike? Hmmm. Most reviews I've read say it's a fairly slow ride compared to most standards nowadays.

You know? I've been reading that physicists lately have detected some perturbations in how natural forces are behaving lately. My sources say the cause is unknown. I didn't know the cause myself until I stumbled upon this post. :lol:

Pat, you were meant to be on a bike. Hope you find your way onto a saddle before long!
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

"(Sportster 1200) ...a fairly slow ride compared to most standards nowadays."
A "slow ride" can be made to go fast too...... ask me how I know....
All I did to my 1200'S' was put a Screaming Eagle ignition, intake, jetting, & pipe on it, and the Dyno results could be mistaken for a stock R1150R..... and at a weight of a 100 pounds less than my ABS equipped Roadster! It was a very fast, very tourqey "slow ride".

My next bike will have to exhibit and induce an entirely different attitude than that which makes me wanna speed. I'm gonna hafta be one of those "damnCruisers" doing the speed-limit and getting cursed by the Ricky Road-Racer types to which I use to belong.

This morning I find myself dreaming of a Softail Standard.... this afternoon it'll be Victory Bagger..... by this evening I'll be thinking Mazda Miata. When I go to bed, I will have realized that I can only afford to dream..... nothing more.

I'll tell ya one thing though, and this is a bit 'ooga booga' for those who don't subscribe to this sorta thing: Whatever dream in the back of my head resides, will someday be manifest. It happens that way, time and time again. I can only hope that the "back of my head" has good taste and discretion.....
Member #31
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Pat - I thought the Sportster 1200 weighed about the same as a R1150R. Did you do some serious work to make it lighter?

I know what you mean about the thought in the back of your head. The Harley was that way for me for a long time.

The Victory 8-ball looks cool. If I were to buy a Victory, that may pretty much be it for me. Looks good, cheap to buy (compared to the others), and elegant.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
scottybooj
Lifer

Sorry Pat

Post by scottybooj »

Sorry Pat, but I have only now noticed this post...i've been checking in less frequently and posting even less.

Good luck with you and may your two wheeled dreams stay alive till the day when another ride enters your life.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
rchop
Lifer

Post by rchop »

Pat, my CLC was still the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. Even the Brown one!! For some reason, I never really felt the need to take risks or violate traffic laws :wink: when riding the CLC. It was comfortable and handled much better than the other bikes in it's class(Road Glide, Gold wing...etc). The only reason I sold mine was because I had a new K1200GT sitting right beside it in my garage. I still succumb to the lure of the high horsepower and style of the GT. Since I don't know the Judge on a first name basis like you [-X I can still ride it with some abandon. I would definately reccomend one for you.
mistercindy

Post by mistercindy »

Wow! I can't believe I haven't seen this post until now! :shock: I'm in shock! I kinda like the idea of the R1200C.
'05 R1200GS
Once owner of an '03 R1150R
Member #333 (cool number!)