No Longer a Virgin - Not good for dial up.

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Trapper
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

No Longer a Virgin - Not good for dial up.

Post by Trapper »

Well I finally did it - and I'm definitely going to do it again.

Last Christmas, my wife bought me a voucher for a track-day, and after changing my mind a lot I finally chose Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire for my initiation- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadwell_Park. I booked it a few months ago, but I'd been looking forward to it for the last 25 years or so.

I'll let you decide whether I enjoyed it or not......

The day started with registration and noise testing from 07:30 so it was an early start - and I was glad we were staying just down the road,in a great little pub - "The Green Man". :mrgreen:

(Digression - not a typical English pub - very bike friendly. My wife and I turned up at ten o'clock at night, in all our gear, and within 5 minutes we had a drink in our hands, and I was roped in to play pool for the pub team. Sadly we lost.)

Back at the circuit my bike passed the noise test with embarassing ease, and I joined the other newbies for a safety and track briefing in the clubhouse. They talked us through the various flags and what to look out for on the circuit etc. Then, while the more experienced riders were getting ready for their first full session, we went out for a few sighting laps. This was strictly follow-my-leader, behind an instructor and definitely no overtaking. I was fortunate enough to be only one bike away from the leader, so got a great view of the right lines etc, which proved invaluable later on.

Then we went back to the pits to wait while the older kids (advanced and intermediates) went out to play first.

Each hour of the day is split into three twenty minute sessions; advanced, then intermediates, and finally novices. So forty minutes later we were sat in the pit lane with engines at tick over, and butterflies at maximum.

Here is my posse of beginners in the pits for the first novice session. I'm way, way towards the back, and barely visible. You'll notice that every single bike here is significantly faster than ours. I was seriously worried that I would struggle to keep up.

Not everyone was a novice though.....my wife saw this guy amongs the novices...looks familar?

So off we went. For the first few laps I held my position near the back of the pack. I'd promised myself that I wouldn't crash on the first session, (or any other hopefully) and I was determined to learn the circuit before doing anything too rash. It soon became clear that none of us knew what we were doing - but I wasn't the worst by a long way. The session finished after 20 minutes, which felt like 2, and I'd manged to overtake a few guys in front. Sadly, I was being passed easily on every straight, but I didn't care, and it didn't stop me grinning like a loon all the way. What a hoot! :lol:

After this first outing we had a debrief/training session in the clubhouse, where one of the racing instructors told us what we'd been doing wrong- in short, everything. He went through each section of the track in datail, explaining where to brake, turn, overtake etc, and we all nodded and grinned some more when he asked had we enjoyed it so far. And then suddenly we were due out on the track again. Yee haaa.

My second session was better, and worse. Better because I got my lines sorted, and found that I could carry way more speed into the corners. Worse because I was being held up in the corners by bikes that had just passed me on the straights. For safety we'd been told strictly no overtaking in the corners - only on the straights or under breaking, and then only if we could get past safely. It was a frustrating session.

My fellow throttle jockeys were dead keen to open up and pass me on the straights, but were less keen to stay out of my way on the brakes. Fortunately I found a couple of places where I could basically ride round the outside of the riders in my way, without causing them any problems. I didn't get black flagged, and managed to get sufficiently far ahead of them that they couldn't reel me in and pass me again on the next long straight. Problem solved. I ended the session with another huge grin. I could get addicted to this.

Here's another couple of pics:

Down the start/finish straight - approx 100 mph, (max 115 for me):

Long right hander:

A tricky left:

My favourite:

I had another four sessions in all, and each one just got better and better. On the third session I started dragging my hero blobs after carrying too much speed into a couple of bends. Up to this point I'd left my bike exactly as I normally ride it on the road - except for the mirors and lights - but after this I tightened up the suspension to the max and my problem went away. I also realised that I needed to start shifting my weight more into the corners - like Ves does. I spent the next session going more slowly, while I practised hanging off and trying to get my knee down - not something I ever do on the road. The photos will show that my knee sliders finished the day in pristine condition - but I pretty much mastered the trick of hanging off. (Sadly, my wife/photographer didn't get any good shots of me hanging off, for which she apologises).

I now need to practice hanging off AND going fast - but can't imagine surviving long on the road if I do this. Oh well, I'll have to book another track day then.....

All in all it was a fantastic day. Great weather, great circuit, great organisation. I can't recommend it too highly.

A couple of other pics:

Not my best wheelie, but the only one caught on film...

Here's a guy who wasn't so lucky - kept the throttle open too far on his wheelie (same spot) and basically went over backwards. He was Ok but the bike wasn't.

I like this one - it's a good shot considering how far away I was.

For those of you who've done track days, this probably all seems very tame. But for those who haven't, it's honestly the most fun you can have with your leathers on. If you've ever thought you'd like a go - do it now - you won't regret it! Don't blame me though if you get addicted, I'm already getting ready to book again.

Here's a pic of me and the bike, in the pits, after one of the sessions:

I expect to stop grinning soon. :D

Hope you like the pics - my wife took them, (she took loads but many were blurred due to the awesome speed) and she had a great day as well. This is the first time I've tried posting pics so I just hope they look ok on the board.

Cheers
Trapper

Black '04 R1150R
mjcraft
Lifer
Donating Member #: 661

Re: No Longer a Virgin - Not good for dial up.

Post by mjcraft »

Looks awesome and sounds like a great experience! I'll have to sign up soon!

-MJC
WildBlue
Lifer

Post by WildBlue »

Awesome write up, and great pics! I am jealous!
Chris
2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 27,000+
Life is a Game. Play to win.
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Looks like you had a great time Trapper. Thanks for sharing. And congrats to your wife - she did a great job with the photos. =D>
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, that is one very cool report!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

You're donefor now... track is worse than crack... it only takes one use to get you hooked... :D
I highly recommend Keith Code's books... "Twist of the Wrist" and "Twist of the Wrist II".... lots of good stuff there to practice...

Enjoy...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Very Nice!!!! looks like a lot of fun, and that it would take some talent, Great pictures. Thanks for sharing, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Trapper-

Great pics! Thanks for sharing the experience. If I'd had trackworthy tires on my Rockster, then I'd have done most recent trackday on BMW as substitute for my Buell XB. Missed it unfortunately due to stripped fork threads from track tire swap on my Buell. Lesson for trackdays: get all your prep work done a couple of days before your paid-for, vacation-day-already-taken, eagerly-anticipated trackday!

Here's our local Buell group doing our 1st trackday of 2008. We are slow in the straights, but plenty fast in the turns... my bike's the slowest, having similar power to the R1150R. Now that my Rockster's shed some weight, maybe I will take it to the track this year!

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... 6821.html?

Time at the track is worth every penny.
gunga din
Basic User
Donating Member #: 2681

Post by gunga din »

Thanks Trapper, sounds like fun, has got me thinking. Nice clean shots too.

Cheers Gunga
Possessions are usually diminished by possession. –Nietzsche
Max Continuous
Basic User

Post by Max Continuous »

Trapper

Great story and photos! I imagine you were completely on a high after that! I took my beloved Roadster to the track last year and just as you described, I too found that once the torque was all gone, she really did get eaten up in the straights by the higher horsepower bikes unfortunately. However, like you, I found that our Roadster could carry more speed into the corners and this was where she excelled but at the risk of getting black flagged! #-o

What a fantastic gift from your wife. =D>

Here is an on board video I shot during track day giving a "riders view". The lines were not consistent but the grin inside the helmet was! :badgrin: You will also see toward the end, I tried a little too much to exploit the advantage of making time on the others in entering the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit2? ... D%26dm%3D1
Trapper
Basic User

Post by Trapper »

Thanks all, for the kind words.

Max - it may be me, but your link doesn't seem to work. I get as far as the Youtube login page but no further (it won't recognise my login) . :?

Ves - I actually have a copy of Twist of The Wrist II, but completely forgot about it before I did the trackday. I will definitely be reading it again before the next one. Not sure I'll be hanging off as much as you do though. I went out and tried it last night on a quiet roundabout, (having checked out your photos first) and couldn't get anywhere near as far off as you. There must be something I'm missing. Any tips? :-k

Cheers
Trapper

Black '04 R1150R
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Great stuff.. =D> ..and fantastic pictures.... You lucky bugger.. :D ..I'm looking to do one at Phillip Island.

Are they PR2's..and did they make you take your mirrors off?

DJ
Trapper
Basic User

Post by Trapper »

DJ- there's nothing wrong with your eyes!

Yup, those are my recently acquired Pilot Road 2s. I fitted them a couple of weeks before the big day, and scrubbed them in for about 400 miles, including the 140 mile ride to the circuit. They were great on the track, and have been great so far on the road. I really liked my old Pilot Roads, particularly in the wet, but after about 7,000 miles they were well past their best, and I fancied "upgrading" to the twin compound PR2s. So far no regrets.

Regarding the mirrors, I took them off myself anyway, so don't know whether they would have made me take them off. It became clear during briefing that on the track you should focus only on what's ahead. Probaby because it's generally coming up a whole lot quicker than what's behind you.
I found this difficult at first because, knowing I was on slower bike, I was always expecting someone to be trying to come past. After a couple of sessions I stopped worrying so much. Perhaps that's the big difference between a track day and racing.

Anyway, if you get the chance to go round Phillip Island do it! It's a great looking circuit, and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Cheers
Trapper

Black '04 R1150R