High gear clutch slipping

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vexlak
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

High gear clutch slipping

Post by vexlak »

Noticed the clutch slipping in the 6th gear few days ago. Today I heard it and I am positive that it is slipping under moderate to heavy throttle up in high gears. Otherwise the bike rides great and it had goo pick up. I browsed the net and came to a conclusion that the engine seal probably broke which would require new clutch. In that case can someone point me to a site with parts and description who to do it? Any projected $$ for parts and length of labor? How would I positively indentify this problem?
Could it also be a poor clutch fluid quality or clutch cylinder failure keeping the clutch not fully engaged? What to do in that case? My clutch grabs pretty high. In other words I do not have to pull the clutch leaver all the way in (or half way in) and it engages on the last half inch or so. Is there any adjustment on the clutch at all?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

'02 R1150R 18K miles.
awagnon
Lifer

Re: High gear clutch slipping

Post by awagnon »

The hydraulic clutch can not be adjusted. You could also have a leaking clutch slave cylinder which can cause the clutch to slip. The clutch hydraulic fluid tracks up the tunnel for the throw-out rod and then onto the clutch plate. You may be able to tell what the problem is by pulling the starter and looking for a leak in the clutch housing. However, most likely you will need to pull the transmission to be sure. It is a big job, but something you can do if you have the time and proper tools.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
vexlak
Basic User

Post by vexlak »

Do you know of any site that describes how to take the transmission apart and change the clutch?
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

vexlak wrote:Do you know of any site that describes how to take the transmission apart and change the clutch?
The best way would be buy a shop manual. Better yet would be to download a copy of the BMW shop manual, which I think is better than the aftermarket manuals. PM CycleRob. He may know of a place you can get a copy. I have a very good checklist for doing it on the RT, which is quite similar on the R bike. I can email a copy of the checklist if you want it. Just send me a PM. If you do the work yourself, be prepared to deal with what you find. If it's a leaking clutch slave cylinder, then it's an easy fix. If it's a leaking rear main seal on the engine, then more difficult. Once it's apart, it's hard to get it to the shop if you get in over your head.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R 1150GS
vexlak
Basic User

Post by vexlak »

After reading about clutch spline failure and my above commented problem, I decided to replace the clutch. Can someone please (with cherry on top) either send me or direct me to a site where I can find list of parts and procedure how to replace the clutch?
Also would it be a good idea to change also the clutch slave cylinder and the engine seal, as they are prone to fail?
PLEASE HELP!
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

vexlax, I don't know where in NY you hail from, but PM NoRRmad, also from NY. I think he had been planning to drop his tranny for a look/see (he is on his bike 24/7). Maybe the two of you can get together and help each other. Good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
vexlak
Basic User

Post by vexlak »

Thank you!
I will PM him now. Do you know of any publication or manual or online list what I nedd to buy and do?
vexlak
Basic User

Post by vexlak »

ANyone with a answer to the above?
TNX!
[-o<
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

I've got my bike torn apart for a spline lube/inspection/data gathering right now. Its a fairly simple process (thank you BMW) but i don't have anything as of yet. There is a link on the Clutch Spline Failure post of a guy who did his GS, but he removed the telelever from the transmission, which has since been deemed as unnecessary. Great bit of info on the writeup they did however.
"I may not know, but I'll figure it out"
Member #611

'02 R1150R
'63 Impala
'66 Tiger
vexlak
Basic User

Post by vexlak »

Lobo1625 wrote:I've got my bike torn apart for a spline lube/inspection/data gathering right now. Its a fairly simple process (thank you BMW) but i don't have anything as of yet. There is a link on the Clutch Spline Failure post of a guy who did his GS, but he removed the telelever from the transmission, which has since been deemed as unnecessary. Great bit of info on the writeup they did however.
Do you have list of parts needed?
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

Assuming that nothing other than the clutch is bad you'll need two parts: 21 21 7 670 454 (clutch disk) and 23 12 2 352 156 (slave cylinder gasket) These parts should cost you about $150 if you order them offline from one of the BMW shops with lower pricing. A&S Motorcycles has a very nice Illustrated Parts Catalog that can help you determine other part numbers if you find something else. Hope this helps
"I may not know, but I'll figure it out"
Member #611

'02 R1150R
'63 Impala
'66 Tiger
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

Lobo1625 wrote:Assuming that nothing other than the clutch is bad you'll need two parts: 21 21 7 670 454 (clutch disk) and 23 12 2 352 156 (slave cylinder gasket) These parts should cost you about $150 if you order them offline from one of the BMW shops with lower pricing. A&S Motorcycles has a very nice Illustrated Parts Catalog that can help you determine other part numbers if you find something else. Hope this helps
You should also replace the bolts that hold the clutch housing with new new bolts. Get some Honda Moly-60 or similar lube for the reassembly.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R 1150GS
Liam kk
Basic User

Post by Liam kk »

Hi, can anyone tell me the torque setting for the clutch housing (5) bolts OE # 1221341472

Many Thanks

Liam KK :-k
Frank1150r
Basic User

Post by Frank1150r »

Vexlax,
I don't know where in NY you are, there is a great BMW/Ducati repair shop in Middletown, NY, called European Cycle Service (ECS). If your looking for a good mechanic I highly recommend them.
Frank