'02 RT Opinions

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

ptinstructor
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

'02 RT Opinions

Post by ptinstructor »

Would like opinions of '02 R1150RTs. I am looking at one and it appears that I found one for a good price. It has 22,300 miles and is pretty much blemish free. Tires need replacement in about 2000 miles. A few extras. Some kind of memory foam seat (drivers). An air horn, wired for BMW radio (no radio), several plugs on side (for accessories) and it has a trunk. Price is $6300. I would be the thrid owner (second owner not a beemer type and is very slender).

And the build date is 03/02, so it falls in the area where the brakes were overly strong.

Any opinions or comments?

Thanks in advance.
moorlander999
Basic User

Re: '02 RT Opinions

Post by moorlander999 »

Hello form the UK !!

I have a 2003 R1150RT........the best bike i have ever owned !!! The brakes are stunning ( ABS/EVO ) and are a vast improvment on the previous japanese bikes I have owned. You just need to get used to them. They pull up very quickly and the forks dont dive as much as the Jap' bikes. The main difference is that you can either use the hand or foot control and dont need to use both....The only negative points about the bikes are ;-
1) paint quality on frame and rear paralever is poor and prone to peeling and pitting
2) There is no audio input/output on radio/cassette so you have to go to the expense of buying an aftermarkert intercom system in order to listen to the radio while riding ( too loud for riding through cities etc )

Go ahead, buy it you wont regret your purchase..

:o
moorlander999
Basic User

Post by moorlander999 »

Hello form the UK !!

I have a 2003 R1150RT........the best bike i have ever owned !!! The brakes are stunning ( ABS/EVO ) and are a vast improvment on the previous japanese bikes I have owned. You just need to get used to them. They pull up very quickly and the forks dont dive as much as the Jap' bikes. The main difference is that you can either use the hand or foot control and dont need to use both....The only negative points about the bikes are ;-
1) paint quality on frame and rear paralever is poor and prone to peeling and pitting
2) There is no audio input/output on radio/cassette so you have to go to the expense of buying an aftermarkert intercom system in order to listen to the radio while riding ( too loud for riding through cities etc )

moorlander999
Basic User

Post by moorlander999 »

Hello form the UK !!

moorlander999
Basic User

Post by moorlander999 »

sorry about the previus posts...dont know why there are so many ....computer / operator malfunction 8-[

here are a couple of pictures of my own bike and the one i rode as my job !!

regards

simon

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/ ... CF0252.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/ ... C00184.jpg
Stixx
Basic User

Post by Stixx »

I just traded today . Traded my 1150 R for a 1200 RT. So far as I can tell they are the same bike except for the difference in refinement in a six year newer model. Sure the fairing makes it hotter than my beloved R type but in a couple weeks when fall sets in I will be loving the extra warmth.

Driving wise, it seems to me the RT is even more "nimble" than my R was and it turns in almost too good, but it is so rock steady once turned into a corner I can't complain. The ride two up is so much more enjoyable. Roomier and the top box gives a lot of security to the gal on back.

That said, I will miss my little black R model as it was my first ever Beemer but I can not afford more than one bike and the RT just has it all going on . If I couldn't buy a new one I would not hesitate to buy a used one . They just plain rock in my view. Image
No matter where you go there you are.
indigoid
Basic User

Re: adversity tries them

Post by indigoid »

sfffeeo9 wrote:prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
mods, are you paying attention? this guy is obviously a spammer
'07 Dakar motard, '08 R1200R destroyed, and a gaggle of old Toyotas
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

The new RT is the bike for me. Better handling(lighter) and more power. The seat on my R1100RT(comfort) was the best factory seat I have ever had and that bike sold me on the RT series.
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2019
The stock R1200RT seat is right down at the bottom. That said I am trying out my new Corbin at the Falling Leaf rally next week.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
me&mybmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 904

Post by me&mybmw »

I bought a 1150rt 60 days ago, I am a new rider(haven't touched a bike in37 years) a lot has changed. I am having the time of my life. This bike IS rock solid, the more I drive the more I learn. It shows me more every ride what it can do.I bought it with 73kms(42,000 mi) on it,all bags, Z Tech exhaust, custom seat, AM/FM/CD, new rubber, and certified for 7500. I snapped it up... anything else was 8grand and up. So far I have put more kms on in 60 days than the previous owner in the past year. Go with your gut, put a down payment on it, and then talk to your wife.(if you have one!)
No were not stopping at Timmy's
colobeemer
Basic User

Post by colobeemer »

I've owned my '02 RT since I bought it new in April of that year. There is no doubt that this model has its issues and that the 2 spark RT that came out in '04 or the new gen R1200 are better bikes HOWEVER, at the price you're being quoted there is no other bike that's as good for the money.

I've ridden mine from as far north as the Montana/Canadian border to as far south as Mississippi. I once rode through 9+ hours of rain from Ft. Worth to Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, and the only parts of me that got wet were my gloves and boots. The RT's wind protection is superior to just about any bike on the road, it's comfortable, handles like a dream, and if properly maintained will outlast you!

I've had many other bikes in my stable and I know other guys with RT's (2000-2004) that have other bikes as well and the one thing we're all in agreement on is that if we could only have one bike in the garage it would be the RT.

Here's mine after a bath:

And here she is on the way to the Sierra Nevada's last July. The west side of Pike's Peak can be seen in the distance:
kryter
Lifer
Donating Member #: 983

Post by kryter »

love my 03 rt ..brakes are very sensitive and at first it feels top heavy but after 20 miles and some low speed manuvering in a parking lot you find the balance good luck great bike
2003 1150RT
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F