Observations on new tires

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Observations on new tires

Post by Bill Stevenson »

My R1200R came with Bridgestones and at 4,700 miles the rear tire was down to the wear bar. I replace front and rear together. My dealer convinced me to put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2s at great expense. There is a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the bike. The Michelins slowed the steering down quite a bit. Another way to say it is that I gave up maneuverability for stability. My partner has an R1200RT and he bought a set of these same Michelins also. He likes the Michelins better whereas, I prefer the Bridgestones. To each his own.

Bill
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Observations on new tires

Post by MikeCam »

Bill,

I've always liked the Bridgestones (BT010, BT020) on various rides. I always experienced cupping on the front, but never a problem wet or dry. My service tech (a former racer) hates them passionately.

Pilot Road (originals not CT2) provided a very stable ride, as you said. They sing once they get broken in, which can be disconcerting.

Have ridden Z4's, Z6's with no complaint. Very stable and uninspiring, but they do the job.

Have been trying some Continental ContiForce on the Rockster with good results. Next some Road Attacks for that bike.

Never tried Avons yet.

Across the range, I get 6-8K mileage for rears and slightly more (1/3 more) fronts. I tend to ride 40-60% with an occasional foray up to 80%. Mostly country roads, gravel, and lesser highways, rarely Interstate or big urban highways.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
NeilS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by NeilS »

Bill,

Which Bridgestones did you have on your bike? I was considering Pilot Road 2s for the first replacement (not quite due), but based on your comment, the Bridgestones might be the better choice.
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

Mine came with the Conti Road Attacks. At 10,000 miles, they look as though they'll go another 5,000. I'm either doing something right or something wrong. :D
Allan
Austin
MJB
Lifer

Post by MJB »

I have a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 on my bike
Great in dry and wet
Have about 5,000 miles on and still good to go

I was thinking of changing to a Pirelli Scorpion Sync, but the Z6's are running well so not too sure what I'm going to do.
Michael
2007 R1200R Granite Grey
1979 Honda 750F
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

I also have Conti Road Attacks on my R, 10,000 miles on the front and it is not at the wear bars yet and very nice stability on twisty New England roads. What is really great is how evenly they have worn, no cupping or wearing more on one side which used to happen onthe z6,s which I had on my Rt. This is my first post here, been a lurker for a while and gleaned a lot of good info from you good folks.
Brian
Stixx
Basic User

Post by Stixx »

Hello, newbee here ! I too have the R 1150 R ( 2002 ) which has the Bridgstones on and they seem to wear excetionally long with my style of riding but after some sorties in the mountains the front tire has cupped noticably and at the last safety check my tech advised I go to the Pilot as well. Hmm maybe they get a commission. At any rate I will be needing to replace soon and I am pleased to hear all of your opinions. I am also petrified to learn of the clutch spline problem and somewhat mistified I have heard nothing about them hanging out at dealers where I know a lot of the guys.

That said I'm glad to find a forum on the bike as I am growing fond of it even though I bought mine used. It has given me much pleasure carving up the apex in North Georgia's wonderful mountain passes. I look forward to learning more from you more experience fellers.

All the best

Stixx
8-[
No matter where you go there you are.
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

CapeBeemer wrote:I also have Conti Road Attacks on my R, 10,000 miles on the front and it is not at the wear bars yet and very nice stability on twisty New England roads. What is really great is how evenly they have worn, no cupping or wearing more on one side which used to happen onthe z6,s which I had on my Rt. This is my first post here, been a lurker for a while and gleaned a lot of good info from you good folks.
Brian
Hey, Brian, welcome to the Board! I should have noted that as well: Not only have the Road Attacks worn long, but they have worn very well. No cupping, no issues at all. Very even wear and still plenty grippy. I'll be replacing the OEMs with the same.
Allan
Austin
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I wish I could say that - on the front Road Attacks, after about 3k miles, there is quite evident cupping. Perhaps I brake hard? Harder? I did get about 14k out of the first one, but it was pretty well worn out by then.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
WildBlue
Lifer

Post by WildBlue »

I have the Z6's on mine and I like them a lot. Cant say I am an experienced enough of a rider to offer advice, though.
Chris
2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 27,000+
Life is a Game. Play to win.
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

My Bridgestones were the OEM BT20 Battleaxes front and rear. I liked the way these tires felt, but did not like the way the wore out so fast. Over the years I have used Battleaxes and always liked the way they work on the street. On a closed circuit course they were not so great because they gave no warning before breaking free. This a few years back before I got so old. The problem with Battlexes on the street is that they wear too fast, otherwise I like 'em the best of any I have ever tried.

On my Vespa I have Continental Zippy 1s and they are great. From the feedback here, I am thinking my next set might be Continentals. Wouldn't it be great if it were possible to have a bunch of identical bikes, each set up with different tires for comparison? Comparing notes with others is the next best thing and I really appreciate your feedback.

These are all great tires compared to what we rode on years ago. We should all be grateful for the tremendous improvements in tires over the last several years starting with the radials for bikes in the early to mid 1990s. We enjoy a huge margin of safety with the new technology. If you don't believe me, try to ride a vintage bike sometime. Careful, though, the brakes are even worse than those old tires. ;-)

Bill
hayabusafiend
Basic User

Post by hayabusafiend »

My Conti Road Attacks only have 900 miles on them and the center is already starting to wear. I'll post again after I have a few thousand miles. I'll likely switch to Sportec M3, which were superb on my Hayabusa (no cupping, 10K mile wear, great cold and rain performance, quick warmup).
Chris, 05 R12ST (old: 82KTM250, 95CBR600F3, 98Buell S3T, 82&83V45 Sabre, 00Busa, 08R12R, 04R11S)