Removing paint from wheels.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

leogrande586
Basic User
Donating Member #: 679

Removing paint from wheels.

Post by leogrande586 »

any suggestions on how to, will reg paint remover work? or do I have to sandblast and will sandblasting hurt the rims? T.I.A
04 1150 Rockster
1980 Sp 1000 MotoGuzzi
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
marousek
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Removing paint from wheels.

Post by marousek »

Paint stripper will work. I used it on very tiny spots where I had overspray. But I had both wheels re-done and I tell you sandblasting is the only way to go on such a large surface. PM me if you would like to see pics. Turned out amazing and wheels unhurt.
harrisphil
Basic User

Post by harrisphil »

definatly get them blasted
the cost probably works out cheeper as well
when you take into account the effort required to do it other ways
what do you intend to do with the rims
paint or polish
leogrande586
Basic User

Post by leogrande586 »

Polish them I think gotta see how they look after they sandblast them

harrisphil wrote:definatly get them blasted
the cost probably works out cheeper as well
when you take into account the effort required to do it other ways
what do you intend to do with the rims
paint or polish
04 1150 Rockster
1980 Sp 1000 MotoGuzzi
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
harrisphil
Basic User

Post by harrisphil »

the finish from blasting is usually a matt finnish ideal for plastic coating
to get from that to a mirror finish will take lots of hard work
start with an abrasive and work on down to less abrasive materials ending up with a pollish
The big problem with wheels and any intricate item is getting into the small nooks and crannies
dont for get with wheels the upkeep of the finnish with all the brake dust on the rims which may spoil the polished finnish
The upside is that they look superb

IMHO gloss black powder coat is the best for a combination of looks and practicality
leogrande586
Basic User

Post by leogrande586 »

Gonna see what they look like after sandblasting, And if I dont like the matt look im gonna do the gloss black powder. I agree the black looks good and I dont have the time to polish them. September-october is my favorite time to ride here in new jersey,(except all the deer get a little crazy in the fall) Thought I could get to the winter with the tires but a steel cord started comming through....Got both tires off the bike,discs removed,sandblast tomorrow,tires should be here wednesday,tires mounted friday,back riding saturday.....I hope. the best layed plans.......
harrisphil wrote:the finish from blasting is usually a matt finnish ideal for plastic coating
to get from that to a mirror finish will take lots of hard work
start with an abrasive and work on down to less abrasive materials ending up with a pollish
The big problem with wheels and any intricate item is getting into the small nooks and crannies
dont for get with wheels the upkeep of the finnish with all the brake dust on the rims which may spoil the polished finnish
The upside is that they look superb

IMHO gloss black powder coat is the best for a combination of looks and practicality
04 1150 Rockster
1980 Sp 1000 MotoGuzzi
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

I purchased a spare set of rims (std front and a 5.5 rockster rear) to have powder coated and the lips polished for my roadster. The cost of the powder coating and polishing just the lips was $500 for both rims including bead blasting. I would check with whom ever you plan on having doing the job prior to doing anything to the rims to make sure how ever you remove the paint does not create more work. The surface on BMW rims is rough so it takes a lot of work to polish them to the point of being smooth/polished. Also I would not want to try and clean /polish the whole rim(s), cleaning/polishing the lips is enough for me.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Blasting is the way to go using aluminum oxide media as it is less intrusive on the surface and does a better job than bead/sand blasting.

Polish is a lot of work pre and post as the cleaning becomes a chore. From the standpoint of durability and maintenance powder coating is the way to go as there is a good selection of colors. If you want the lip can be masked for polishing if one chooses, the possibilities are up to ones imagination.

I was going to paint my 02 Atlanta Blue dark silver (gun metal) and blend into 00 Corvette yellow at the back end with the wheels grey up front and yellow on back. The best way is to Photo Shop what you are thinking of, it provides a good perspective. Good luck.

Now, to all that have painted their wheels.....I don't recall seeing any pictures???
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX