Another MPG issue

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

mkmd555
Lifer

Another MPG issue

Post by mkmd555 »

R1150R 63000mi 2002

My bike is tuned and in great condition.

But the mpg is around 32 in mixed town and highway riding. Is this normal?

My Car (Crossfire) easily gives 29 mpg on hiwy, despite the fact that It has a huge 3.2 ltr V6 engine

What gives?

Regards

M Khan
mnnden
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Another MPG issue

Post by mnnden »

I haven't checked mine in awhile, but I don't think I get much over 40mpg, I have gotten a lot less, depends on how I ride, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Just done quick conversions.I get 45mpg (imperial) on my 2002 R1150R which translates to 37.4mpg (US).
(BTW I get 37mpg(imperial) at best from my 2l Hyundai Coupe, which is err 30.7 mpg(US).)
My brother in law got over 65mpg(UK) from his 850 Norton Commando on a recent trip alongside me.Much more like it.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

In the mid-Atlantic region, which has the best climate, the best roads, the lightest traffic, and the best gas formulations for fuel injected motorcycle engines, I get 42-47 mpg (U.S.) in mixed highway, back road hooligan riding.

If you are a big fellow, your body drag is perhaps the single biggest factor in lower mileage numbers. If, however, you are a smaller statured rider, then I would guess it is the poor quality of the gas being sold in your area. The car is tuned to 'like' it, the bike is not.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
jarobi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 644

Post by jarobi »

Does the single/dual spark make a difference? I had an '04 and it averaged 42 mpg (US) w/ a RhineWest chip installed. It would get 50-52 on 80 mph slab runs; 38 when the whole tank was used stop n go.
Croc
Basic User

Post by Croc »

I consistently get between 50-55 mpg (UK) on my 2003 twinspark. I have got nearly 60mpg on a trip and speed does not seem to make any difference. I have a Givi screen and have noticed that the consumption is WORSE when I have the handguards on in winter. Could it be that the motor does not like operating in the cold weather? :?:
Croc
Wind in your hair......

Silver '03 ABS (Twin Spark)
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

jarobi wrote:Does the single/dual spark make a difference? I had an '04 and it averaged 42 mpg (US) w/ a RhineWest chip installed. It would get 50-52 on 80 mph slab runs; 38 when the whole tank was used stop n go.
It makes no difference. I have had both, and the mpg was always within the same range.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
tkm
Basic User

Post by tkm »

Anything under the mid forties in normal riding indicates some sort of problem. Check tire pressures, air filter, spark plug condition, fuel system etc............
Peter
D.B.
Basic User

Post by D.B. »

32 mpg? Yes, .... I've seen that mileage many times with city driving, but, it's around 42 mpg with just a bit of highway driving thrown in. These r1150r's aren't gas savers..without some right wrist help... :D

D.B....(04-R1150R)
Ritchard
Basic User

Post by Ritchard »

How do you find that speed affects the mileage?

The manual makes mention of one rate of consumption for 90Km/h and a different one for 120 Km/h. I never do long runs at 90, but often more than 120. I think I am seeing about 32-34 US MPG at these higher speeds.

R
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!
mkmd555
Lifer

Post by mkmd555 »

tkm wrote:Anything under the mid forties in normal riding indicates some sort of problem. Check tire pressures, air filter, spark plug condition, fuel system etc............
The Air filter is new and so are the plugs. I use 93 octane gas.

I weigh 159 lbs. Givi screen and hard bags. Still the MPG is around 32 as stated in my original post.

How do I check the fuel system?

Sincerely

MK
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Anything under the mid forties in normal riding indicates some sort of problem
I would disagree with that. Interstate only runs will yield 50 mpg but on any fun roads at all, I seldom get better than 40 mpg. My bike runs well, nothing wrong with it. Other than the nut controlling the throttle. :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
The Velvet Monkey
Basic User

Post by The Velvet Monkey »

Just filled up today and I calculated mpg at 34--I've been a little heavy both in my weight and on the throttle. My Honda Civic gets about the same. But, I've calculated mpgs in the mid 40s when doing mostly highway grind. My bike runs like a raped ape so I know it's nothing mechanical. I just think that most people expect that their bike are going to do better than they really do.

I do think the motorcycle industry could do better. . .
2004 50R a.k.a. "Hiedi"

No!!! Bad monkey!!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

mkmd555, You're not using enough 6th gear. Best MPG will be at 65 MPH where the engine RPM's climb higher on the ignition advance curve, were it's more efficient. Faster than that and wind resistance takes it away. Your windshield is also a very bad thing for better MPG's.

I consistently get 48 MPG in normal (easy) riding and 50 on a trip, even with my precious 135 lb wife on the back. That's using regular grade gasoline WITH THE CAT CODE PLUG IN PLACE. Check to see if yours is missing:
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/photos/12316091_CmzKb-O.jpg
You can mimic the USA model's CCP (and get better highway fuel economy!!) by using a short wire with a male blade terminal on each end to connect the 30 and 87 terminals where the CCP plugs in. The numbers are embossed into the plastic female CCP socket. You then must reset the Motronic using the number 5 fuse pull procedure.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ePlug1.jpg

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
mkmd555
Lifer

Post by mkmd555 »

Cyclerob:
Thanks for your correct analysis.

I think one of the problem is that I am not using 6th gear often.

I thought that Givi was supposed to enhance aerodyanamics?

Is regular gas OK or recommended?

Thanks again,

MK
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

"I thought that Givi was supposed to enhance aerodyanamics?"
Only a flyscreen may do that. Generally, windshields "plow" a lot more air out of the way.

"Is regular gas OK or recommended?"
It's not recommended by BMW, Premium is. Regular can be used if your bike doesn't ping when you do. That would depend on the amount of combustion chamber deposits, how hot the engine is and the quality of the gas you use.

My bike began pinging even with premium grade fuel as the miles piled on so I removed the heads at 40,970 miles to decarbonize them. That was the cure!! I've been using Regular grade gas since then, now with 62,002 miles.
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/photos/9579238_LqKMc-O.jpg

The album is here:
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/17738 ... 9238_LqKMc

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
mkmd555
Lifer

Post by mkmd555 »

Cyclerob:

I am indebted to your generosity.

I also like your careful picture taking.

I am thinking of decarbonzing the heads and also checking the splines this winter.

Sincerely

mk
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

mkmd555 wrote:Cyclerob:

I am indebted to your generosity.

I also like your careful picture taking.

I am thinking of decarbonzing the heads and also checking the splines this winter.

mk
I was thinking about it as well, but I found what appears to be a easier and much more enjoyable method: I ran about 150miles at a track day and the bike runs a ton better than before. (this would be the 'Italian tune-up') I'd say I'm imaging things, but the idle even changed (before 1000RPM, after 1400). I need to adjust it down. :) (I also changed plugs shortly before, but I didn't notice the idle change or a big performance difference on the one or two rides I made before the track)
Go Sabres!
tkm
Basic User

Post by tkm »

It just goes to prove that these bikes like to be run the more the better. Good tires, regular oil changes and clean air filters are really all that is needed to keep the ride sweet.
Peter