Clear view mirror???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

racing.mike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Clear view mirror???

Post by racing.mike »

I am curious......I cannot see much in my mirror when I am accelerating or going over 60mi/h+
is it the same for everybody?
sometimes I can't even tell if the headlights I am seing are from a truck or a car.....and I am not talking about "guessing" the model/make of the car/suv/truck LOL
this is the worst rear view motorcycle I had (R1150RT, DL1000 VStrom, CBR929rr, VFR800, YZF600)
is there a cure for that? (no sarcasm please. [-X ...I am not changing it either.....I have it for only 2 months now...)
Otherwise, I love the bike though :-)
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Re: Clear view mirror???

Post by ShinySideUp »

Doing a search on "bar end mirror" will show a thread where, surprise, bar end mirrors clear up the blur.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Search on this forum "valve play" or similar. Don has the fix for that. Your bike is not quite right. Mine does not do what you are describing.
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

Paul
2009 R1200R
racing.mike
Basic User

Post by racing.mike »

ShinySideUp wrote:Doing a search on "bar end mirror" will show a thread where, surprise, bar end mirrors clear up the blur.
well, I do have the stock bar ends......it should be enough......but thanks anyway ;-)
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
racing.mike
Basic User

Post by racing.mike »

celticus wrote:Search on this forum "valve play" or similar. Don has the fix for that. Your bike is not quite right. Mine does not do what you are describing.
Mark
this is weird because the bike is new....and I got the 1000km service (600mi)...it is now at 3000+ km...(2000mi)
so I will ask the dealer then :oops: :cry:
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

racing.mike wrote:
ShinySideUp wrote:Doing a search on "bar end mirror" will show a thread where, surprise, bar end mirrors clear up the blur.
well, I do have the stock bar ends......it should be enough......but thanks anyway ;-)
I've miscommunicated: Not bar ends, but mirrors that attach to the end of the bars! No long stalk = no vibration.

Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/3tqf3p

And I heartily agree with properly adjusting the valves as a way to suppress unnecessary engine vibration. Even so, the bar-end mirrors will yield a very solid image.

Now if I just had the vision I had when I was 18, I could see whether that cop behind me was angry or not!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

racing.mike wrote:
celticus wrote:Search on this forum "valve play" or similar. Don has the fix for that. Your bike is not quite right. Mine does not do what you are describing.
Mark
this is weird because the bike is new....and I got the 1000km service (600mi)...it is now at 3000+ km...(2000mi)
Hopefully you read the posting I made. The range of "acceptable" looseness on rocker-arm-endplay is amazingly large. I suspect most dealers if the rockers fall within the range - even at the far end of loose - figure "good enough" and just don't bother adjusting the end play. And this "good enough" may include an engine where one side has loose (but within range) adjustment and the other side snug (within range) adjustment.

It's several things at work that cause the buzz..

1 - the endplay itself causes vibration due to the slamming of the rocker against the mounting block.
2 - The valve adjustment - no matter how good - isn't going to result in really equal valve opening (and a balanced firing engine) unless the endplay is the same on all the valves. The up/down motion of the rocker arm will result in less valve opening. More up/down (from a loose adjustment, even within spec) results in more imbalance on how the engine runs.

My suggestion is to be anal about endplay adjustment before ever starting adjusting valve clearances. Get them ALL the SAME (loose or snug - but I'd suggest snug..) then set the valve clearances. I think you'll be surprised at how smooth the engine is - and how clear your rear-view mirrors are.

It's been 4,000 miles (now has 22k on it) since I did the anal valve adjustment - the bike is still running great, and it's still smooth and buzz free. I rather expect when I check the valves in 2,000 miles they probably will still be just about perfect.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

deilenberger wrote: It's been 4,000 miles (now has 22k on it) since I did the anal valve adjustment -
I didn't know these bikes had one of those. :roll:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :smt081
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Dan-A wrote:
deilenberger wrote: It's been 4,000 miles (now has 22k on it) since I did the anal valve adjustment -

I wonder what BMW charges for the Proctologist they use :-k
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

Dan-A wrote:

Of COURSE it has to have one of those... how else am I gonna be able to find my head??
racing.mike
Basic User

Post by racing.mike »

ShinySideUp wrote:
racing.mike wrote:
I've miscommunicated: Not bar ends, but mirrors that attach to the end of the bars! No long stalk = no vibration.

Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/3tqf3p

And I heartily agree with properly adjusting the valves as a way to suppress unnecessary engine vibration. Even so, the bar-end mirrors will yield a very solid image.

Now if I just had the vision I had when I was 18, I could see whether that cop behind me was angry or not!
oh!!! now I understand!!!! I thought you were being a bit sarcastic!!! LOL thanks...
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
racing.mike
Basic User

Post by racing.mike »

deilenberger wrote:
racing.mike wrote:
Mark
Hopefully you read the posting I made. The range of "acceptable" looseness on rocker-arm-endplay is amazingly large. I suspect most dealers if the rockers fall within the range - even at the far end of loose - figure "good enough" and just don't bother adjusting the end play. And this "good enough" may include an engine where one side has loose (but within range) adjustment and the other side snug (within range) adjustment.

It's several things at work that cause the buzz..

1 - the endplay itself causes vibration due to the slamming of the rocker against the mounting block.
2 - The valve adjustment - no matter how good - isn't going to result in really equal valve opening (and a balanced firing engine) unless the endplay is the same on all the valves. The up/down motion of the rocker arm will result in less valve opening. More up/down (from a loose adjustment, even within spec) results in more imbalance on how the engine runs.

My suggestion is to be anal about endplay adjustment before ever starting adjusting valve clearances. Get them ALL the SAME (loose or snug - but I'd suggest snug..) then set the valve clearances. I think you'll be surprised at how smooth the engine is - and how clear your rear-view mirrors are.

It's been 4,000 miles (now has 22k on it) since I did the anal valve adjustment - the bike is still running great, and it's still smooth and buzz free. I rather expect when I check the valves in 2,000 miles they probably will still be just about perfect.
oh??? very interesting.....wonder why the dealers don't do that though :-(
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
motoracer8
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by motoracer8 »

Try this, Get a few stick on weights like are used to balance wheels, and stick them on the back side of the mirror, it might take 2 or 3. BMW's plastic mirrors are very light, sometimes alittle weight will change the frequency at whitch they viberate, it helps to clear the image. I used this method on a Ducati, once I got the shake down to a resonable level I popped the glass out and stuck the weights inside the mirrors.

Ken G.
racing.mike
Basic User

Post by racing.mike »

motoracer8 wrote:Try this, Get a few stick on weights like are used to balance wheels, and stick them on the back side of the mirror, it might take 2 or 3. BMW's plastic mirrors are very light, sometimes alittle weight will change the frequency at whitch they viberate, it helps to clear the image. I used this method on a Ducati, once I got the shake down to a resonable level I popped the glass out and stuck the weights inside the mirrors.

Ken G.
clever!!!!
Racing Mike
R1200R Black
lucagoa
Basic User

Post by lucagoa »

Gentlemen,

I really trust you regarding to the play to be adjusted. Unfortunately I'm not very clever with mechanics therefore the only way to do this for me is to ask to a dealer. I'm just concerned about HOW to tell dealer to do this :-k
Should I just walk in when doing my next service and ask for this regulation? Is it something that should be covered by the warranty? How can I be sure that he will properly do this?
Suggestion will be appreciated
Luca
SV650 - '02
R1200R - '07
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Luca,

I have no idea how you can present this to your dealer. I suspect you'd have better luck finding a good independent who will adjust the clearance correctly. It isn't a warranty item since doing it is considered part of the 600 mile service. Problem is - BMW allows variance on the clearances, and doesn't state that all of them must be the same AND within range. BMW just gives a range.. leaving the dealer to consider them "adjusted" as long as all of them fall into some measurement in the range.

Case where finding a good independent mechanic is likely to result in a higher level of satisfaction for you.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
lucagoa
Basic User

Post by lucagoa »

Don,

thanks....now the quest is to find a god independent [-o< [-o< [-o<
I'll print our the post and start the search..... 8-[
Luca
SV650 - '02