Cherohala Skyway November Ride

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Cherohala Skyway November Ride

Post by Boxer »

This is really just a "teaser" post.

I took a leisurely ride up to Tellico Plains, TN yesterday morning on the Roadster. I needed to stretch her legs and burn off some of the crap in the oil! :-) Once I got to Tellico Plains I just kept riding over the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville, NC and back home down 129/60/515.
When I was getting on the Skyway, I noticed this sign...

...and it gave me pause. After reading, I decided I was safe since I had no dogs on board.
You can read the details over at www.slablog.net and hit the link at the bottom to see the pics I took yesterday. The Skyway was virtually deserted and I had a great time.
Entropyd
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Cherohala Skyway November Ride

Post by Entropyd »

We were there in October (we being Dr. Strangelove, moi', et. al.) and saw the same signs. Question is: what, exactly, is BIG GAME, in the Tennessee, N.C. mountains??? Bear? Boar? Deer? Elk? Large, cityfied hominids??? Anyway, we managed to not get shot, not see any bear (several years ago, however, one member of our "posse" did, indeed, hit a black bear...but I digress)... not hit any dogs (though we did see a few with radio collars on...hunting meets the 21rst century).

I've seen hunters and emaciated, radio-collared dogs every year on our annual fall ride up there but I've never seen the big-game warning signs....hmmm.

Anyway, beautiful country, great scenery and loads-o-fun, coiled roadways...all good!

D.
EntropyD
frbank6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by frbank6 »

I don't know if this is the exact area, but I do know that elk have been reintroduced somewhere in eastern TN and KY
2003 R1150R ABS Dakar Yellow/Ferro
Veritas vos Liberabit
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

The fine print on the sign (which you may not be able to see in that pic) says something about "bear and boar hunting", so I assume the big game is bear and big ole wild hogs.

I did see a fallen dead tree across half the west-bound lane at one point. I sure hope the two riders headed that way were able to see it in time. I warned them to slow down!