Metallic Flecks in the Fuel Tank

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Metallic Flecks in the Fuel Tank

Post by jfslater98 »

I have started what will be a drawn out 24K maintenance on my R. And something has happened today to give me pause. When looking into the upended gas tank, I saw tiny metallic glitters on the inside of the tank. I wiped my finger on them, and they moved. So I have tiny metallic flecks in my tank. Is that "normal"? Something I should be concerned about?

The cheap siphon I used to draw out the gasoline has also left some small plastic shavings in the tank. How much damage could that cause?

I can post pictures if that will help any.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Metallic Flecks in the Fuel Tank

Post by boxermania »

Have you looked inside the tank with a flashlight? Did you remove the pump? Are you planning to change the fuel filter?

There could be a minute amount of rust inside the tank, which might have formed during the winter months. Any small particles shoul be removed by the filter. It would be good to change the filter and cut out the old one to see the make upof collected material.

Let's find out what is the source of the particles, pictures always help.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

boxermania wrote:Have you looked inside the tank with a flashlight? Did you remove the pump? Are you planning to change the fuel filter?
Yes. Yes. And Yes! :)
Let's find out what is the source of the particles, pictures always help.
You can click on the picture below, and go to the full version, zoom in using the magnifying glass in Picasa.

Right on the lip of the assembly hole, you'll see a string of plastic that was left behind from the siphon I was using to remove the gas. I removed some other smaller pieces, but wonder if I got it all. If you look inside the tank you can see those very fine flecks. When I removed the thank vent hoses, they were not coming easily, so I snipped the clamps. Could that have put those flecks in there? Seemed like a lot for two clamps. :-k
...cut out the old one to see the make upof collected material...
Will have to dig that one out of the trash, will post up once I have it disgorged and recorded.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

If I had to guess, Id say those silver flecks are indeed from the "wrangled" clamp you took off. Just try to wipe out what you can get to, and get that plastic crap out too. You may want to pour some gasoline in and slosh it around then pour it out one of the holes.
That hole sure looks rusty to me. I don't recall that mine has ever looked that red inside. Did your bike set idle and empty for a long time?
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

You mean the inside of your bike's gas tank doesn't match your color scheme? Loser! I bet you don't even wear matching BMW riding clothes either. ;)

Kidding aside, it's been that color since the day I got it. That color is consitent all the way up to the filler neck. So unless it's rusty from the factory... :-k

I had reinstalled the fuel pump assembly, but I guess it will have to come out. How do I get gas out of that hole? Or do I take the filler cap out?
SLEDGE
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by SLEDGE »

What Boxer said Just clean it up best you can,a new filter will take care of the rest. My tank is that red inside.
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

My tank is that red inside.
I'll have to take better notice next time I change out that filter...Which won't be for a while. I just did it not long ago at the 72,000 mile service.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

My tank is that red inside.
I was under the impression that BMW coats the inside of the tank to prevent rust. I think that red color is the coating that you are seeing.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

My tank is unpainted inside. I ride an '02 Roadster.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

My tank is unpainted inside. I ride an '02 Roadster.
Ahh! We may have just discovered yet another difference in the earlier and later models! I'm almost certain mine is not that red color inside (mfg date 7/02)...but I'll have to check for sure next time its opened up.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

My 04 does have the red/brown coating inside. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Another '04 (Rockster) with coated tank here.
2004 Roc.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

My 2002 (06/2001) model has the rusty looking maroon colored coating. You can see it by looking thru the gas cap opening. Just don't use a match to lite the way. #-o
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

CycleRob wrote:My 2002 (06/2001) model has the rusty looking maroon colored coating. You can see it by looking thru the gas cap opening. Just don't use a match to lite the way. #-o
I assume it is the original tank. So much for consistency :-k

I cut open the old fuel filter, casing seems pretty stout. The insides don't look particularly beat up. Of course the hacksaw dumped a lot of metal particles in there now. Anyone see anything out of place there?

Here's a another view of the "pixie dust"

So I think I will take the advice of swirling some gas around the tank to rid it of these nasties. Is the best way to empty the tank to remove the filler neck assembly and turn it upside down? Not sure it will come out of the fuel pump portal very well.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

So after a few hours of wrestling with the filter/pump assembly, the filler neck and dumping gasoline all over me, this is what the inside of the tank looks like

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/j1 ... directlink

:evil: At least the sparkly bits are keeping each other warmer, now that they have huddled together. You can also see the new gasket that's not cooperating.

Can I put the gasket in the freezer for a bit to get it to shrink?
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

jfslater98 wrote:So after a few hours of wrestling with the filter/pump assembly, the filler neck and dumping gasoline all over me, this is what the inside of the tank looks like

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/j1 ... directlink

:evil: At least the sparkly bits are keeping each other warmer, now that they have huddled together. You can also see the new gasket that's not cooperating.

Can I put the gasket in the freezer for a bit to get it to shrink?
Get a new gasket period.
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Wish I had listened to you Rod

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eu ... directlink

:cry:

In my bullish rush to get everything done, I tweaked the pump assembly. What a dope! Thankfully Beemerboneyard had a used assembly for sale, so I knocked over $300 off my "tuition" in mechanics school.

I think I got a lot of the flecks (and other garbage out) due to a number of siphonings of gas out of the tank. But without a boroscope, who can be sure?

At any rate, I completed just about everything (except TB sync) on the 24K service, just got it in today under the wire. So I'm ready for a New Year's ride. I have some observations to post on my efforts, but think I need to live with the bike (and what I've done to it) for at least a month so I have some perspective.

Thanks to all who posted their advice here, and Happy New Year!