Why you switched?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

crewzzn88
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Why you switched?

Post by crewzzn88 »

Just wondering why you switched to a BMW bike from "whatever"

Here's my story.

Long story short, I totaled my HD because another bike went down in front of me. If I had ABS and maybe a better handling bike, I wouldn't be writing this right now. I'm not young, but love to ride. Had a M-1 license since high school. (Class of 71)

Tell me your story........................
2005 FXDL
2008 R1200R
WILDPIG

Re: Why you switched?

Post by WILDPIG »

WHOA-- TIME OUT. YOU ARE CLEARLY STATING IF YOU HAD NOTHER BIKE,, ABS AND BETTER HANDLING MAYBE THE ACCIDENT WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED-- AND THEN BY INFERENCE YOU POINT DIRECTLY AT THE HARLEY YOU OWNED. CAN I STATE TO YOU THE OBVIVOUS? YOU WERE 1- FOLLOWING TO CLOSE, 2- SINCE YOU REAR-ENDED THE BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU WEE'D HAVE TO EXAMINE YOUR SPEED. NOW-- IS ABS A GOOD THANG-- YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. IS THE R12R A GREAT HANDLING BIKE-- YOU BETTER KNOW IT. SORRY BOUT YOUR ACCIDENT BUT--- LETS BE HONEST HERE------ NO EXCUSE FOR RIDING UP THE BUTT OF A BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU. THATS MY TAKE AN I BEEN RIDIN 45 YRS., WITH BOUT EVERTHANG MADE THAT HAS 2 WHEELS.
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

For me it was simply a matter of which bike had all the feature I was looking for. If harley made the r12r I'd be riding a harley. Plus I think the R looks really cool.
Mike
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Too bad about your accident, but changing to an R afterwards is a bit of a silver lining, eh?

I switched after riding a wide variety of Japanese and Italian bikes over a 40 year period. The R was attractive aesthetically, and mechanically. Specifically like most the comfortable seating/control position, excellent brakes, and shaft drive. Got very tired of lubing and caring for chain drives. Big plus is that boxer motor, plenty of torque for normal sorts of riding with a nice dose of HP when you want to "move it along". =D>

Overall not much else on the market that represents such an adaptable, well rounded machine.

At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Cheers, BJ

PS. Guess I need to 'fess up too, had an R/R for a number of years, but switched to an '04 R11S last year. Turned out I couldn't convince my sweetheart to start riding again, so the pillion seat wasn't quite as important. But still wish I could have kept my '04 R/R (aka Quicksilver)!
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Started with a mid-50's Matchless, quickly moved to a 1959 R60/2 which I rode through the 60's. I loved that bike, rode it hard, put it away wet, and basically just wore it out, but it set for me the model for all my subsequent bikes: black, sit-up-straight, shaft drive, no fiberglass. In the 70's I bought a /5 but never really "bonded" with it, due to a transmission that howled louder than the engine. In the 80's I badly wanted an R80 but couldn't afford it, so 25 years of rice-burners ensued. But when I first saw the Roadster I knew that I wanted it, and when BMW finally solved the surging problem, fixed the Paralever spline problem, and went to helically-cut gears in the tranny I knew my time had finally come. The lovely wife supported my decision, and here I am, a proud new owner. The R1200R is just the perfect bike for me!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
motoracer8
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by motoracer8 »

I did'nt switch, but I did add to the fleet. I have a Ducati Multistrada that I enjoy riding, but my wife thought it might be just alittle too much sport and not enough tour for her, mabe 30 years ago it would be fine.
So we took some test rides, Honda ST, Yamaha FJR, BMW RT, all too heavy and too much plastic, and I am not into cruiser type machines. So we took a R1200R for a ride, no plastic, 100 lbs lighter than a RT, 200 lbs. lighter than the Honda, this could be the one. And so it folowed me home, touring shield, bags and trunk. It could probbaly use a better seat but it's not bad. I've done 500 mile days on it, my wife has done 250 miles with only one stop. I have a 75 R75/6, and a 75 Norton 850 Interstate, In my opinion they both have better stock seats. We still ride these bikes. But the R12R has real brakes, good power, is quiet and comfortable, and the wife likes riding on it, all good points when consitering a new motorcycle. I'll keep the Ducati because it is just too much of a blast on a mountain road. Um, mabe if the BMW had a set of Ohlins??

Ken G.
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I got tired of being shaken to death on my (pre-rubber engine mount) HD Sportster. Dropped in on the local BMW dealer just because... Ever since I burnt up the engine of my R50 (in 1963--I don't know what the year of the bike was) I've wanted another boxer, figured I could never afford one. This time around the dealer offered me such a good trade-in on the Harley that I couldn't afford not to trade it for the R12R. I thought the R was kind of weird looking, sort of like a grasshopper, and wasn't crazy about the chrystal grey, but couldn't get rid of the Harley fast enough. Never even took a test ride, just put down the cash.

Incidentally, xprof, the bike I had after the R50 was a brand spanking new 1965 Matchless 650 GS (twin carb). How I loved that bike, warping heads and all.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Because all my friends had one, and Guzzi isn't making anything that interests me. Also looks good sitting next to the black /5 that has been in the garage for at least twenty five years and some day will be my last bike.
Temp in Jersey is in the sixties so I gave the old /5 it's pre-Daytona valve adjust, wheel bearing check and oil change. The R1200R will be in the garage while the old /5 makes it to Main Street Daytona for the 17th year in a row.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
AmostThere
Basic User

Post by AmostThere »

WILDPIG wrote:WHOA-- TIME OUT. YOU ARE CLEARLY STATING IF YOU HAD NOTHER BIKE,, ABS AND BETTER HANDLING MAYBE THE ACCIDENT WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED-- AND THEN BY INFERENCE YOU POINT DIRECTLY AT THE HARLEY YOU OWNED. CAN I STATE TO YOU THE OBVIVOUS? YOU WERE 1- FOLLOWING TO CLOSE, 2- SINCE YOU REAR-ENDED THE BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU WEE'D HAVE TO EXAMINE YOUR SPEED. NOW-- IS ABS A GOOD THANG-- YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. IS THE R12R A GREAT HANDLING BIKE-- YOU BETTER KNOW IT. SORRY BOUT YOUR ACCIDENT BUT--- LETS BE HONEST HERE------ NO EXCUSE FOR RIDING UP THE BUTT OF A BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU. THATS MY TAKE AN I BEEN RIDIN 45 YRS., WITH BOUT EVERTHANG MADE THAT HAS 2 WHEELS.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU’VE GOT EVERYTHING FIGURED OUT!!![/b]
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
USMCDad
Basic User

Post by USMCDad »

AmostThere wrote:
WILDPIG wrote:WHOA-- TIME OUT. YOU ARE CLEARLY STATING IF YOU HAD NOTHER BIKE,, ABS AND BETTER HANDLING MAYBE THE ACCIDENT WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED-- AND THEN BY INFERENCE YOU POINT DIRECTLY AT THE HARLEY YOU OWNED. CAN I STATE TO YOU THE OBVIVOUS? YOU WERE 1- FOLLOWING TO CLOSE, 2- SINCE YOU REAR-ENDED THE BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU WEE'D HAVE TO EXAMINE YOUR SPEED. NOW-- IS ABS A GOOD THANG-- YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. IS THE R12R A GREAT HANDLING BIKE-- YOU BETTER KNOW IT. SORRY BOUT YOUR ACCIDENT BUT--- LETS BE HONEST HERE------ NO EXCUSE FOR RIDING UP THE BUTT OF A BIKE IN FRONT OF YOU. THATS MY TAKE AN I BEEN RIDIN 45 YRS., WITH BOUT EVERTHANG MADE THAT HAS 2 WHEELS.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU’VE GOT EVERYTHING FIGURED OUT!!!
Everything except the friggin' Caps Lock key that is !!!
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Wait a minute... gotta put in my earplugs from the shouting .... :shock:

I am a test ride victim. Simply the best bike I ever road/owned/rented/borrowed. Great power, flicks easily, gets great milage, the wife loves to ride on it, etc.

Only problem I have that is about to be corrected is that the seat sucks. Rick Mayer seat pending... report to follow soon.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

You will love your Rick Meyer seat. It helps get the bike much closer to being perfect. I have had mine for almost two years now. Leather.
I am sending it back to have some work done on the passenger part. It was originally made for a solo rider. I am not looking forward to having to use the stock seat while mine is away.
At Rick's site the R1200R is not even mentioned. I am about tired of being ignored.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Because I have no self control. :lol:

I'm another with 40+ years of riding and can appreciate all the r1200r has to offer. She's a bit of a "sleeper" that makes me smile in the twisties or while doing the "ton". I felt good voting YES! with both heart and brain when choosing, I mean when she seduced me into bringing her home. :D
Last edited by bobw on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kay bill c
Basic User

Post by kay bill c »

Test ride for sure.Went in with a buddy that was shopping when sale's man said there's a couple of bikes out front if you want a ride just let me know,it's been 2 yr's and I still love this bike.Going into that shop I never would have thought I would own one of these,I mean I ride cruiser's for the most part,my old 72 SX650 for fun.This R just created this grin on my face that I have not seen in the mirror for 30 yr's.For me I'll still take my big cruiser if I going 300 mile's plus, other than that it's the smile machine,except for those time's I want to remember the past then I grab the old yamaha. Have fun, it's a blast whatever your on
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

USMCDad wrote: Everything except the friggin' Caps Lock key that is !!!
The "friends and foes" function works great in this instance. I don't know why all caps is so annoying but I can't stand it. I even deleted it in this quoted post. I don't even see it anymore unless someone quotes it.
Paul
2009 R1200R
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I'm sure I've had the ABS save my ass twice, stopping better than the Moto Guzzi or the fairly new Honda that are my other road bikes neither ABS equipped. As far as the CAPS and the ability to see the mistakes that some one on the other side of the world makes --- well
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

I was using a bike (Honda ST1100) on my job 4000 miles a month, mostly freeway riding. I really loved that V4 engine's smooth wide power curve.

Then the job ended and I found myself in the new job spending all day on a bike in San Francisco and the ST was killing me with a) weight and b) being about as flickable as a bulldozer.

So, on a tour of the Alps, I rented a BMW F800ST, thinking the lighter bike might be my answer for city driving. Didn't like the ergos at all and my German buddy said, "Get the R."

I test drove the R1200R and instantly knew it was the best all-around handling bike I've ever ridden, feeling lighter than the F800ST in the corners. And it could get up and go without buzzing out the engine with high rev's.

After farkling it almost into an RT (Parabellum Scout fairing, Russell Day Long saddle, bar backs, peg lowering) I can't imagine a better all-rounder. I'm happy in the city, happy in the twisties, and almost as happy on the superslab as on the heavy, smooth ST1100. Heck, I'm just happy with this bike that has character, versatility, power, smoothness and can even stop: I ride it every day. I ride it at night. In the rain. In the cold. In the heat. And I'm just happy. And and THAT's why I switched.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Tired ! Its too late at night to write a long story... but Iam in my 40's and never drove a car of my life.

Lived in many European city's and used public transportation to go to school and hang out, then I owned a few Piaggo scooters & bicycles, a Go-ped then a 1978 Honda 750cc, a Suzuki GSX 1100 G 1992 and since a week a BMW R1200R 2008.

To replace my old GSX1100G I was looking first for Yamaha FJR1300 but then realized that for the same price or almost I could have a BMW... I had in mind to buy a used 1200RT first then I tested a demo one and didn't really enjoy the lack of "Juice" in the first gears, the fairing all over and the shaky windshield blocking my sight. Then I tried the 1200GT which I really liked but still the fairing somehow annoyed me.

Finally I realized that I could eventually add luggage's on this simple bike that was the R1200R and make it a little more touring... I asked to test and the dealer gave me first the 1150R if I remember well which I enjoyed moderately, then I insisted to test the R1200R... the dealer advised me that the 12 was 50Hp more than the 115 so I tested it and loved it. Just enough juice to me ! not too much gadgets or fairings, the R is not too long, big or too wide for city traffic and its naked enough to let us customize it as it please us.
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

ShinySideUp wrote: After farkling it almost into an RT (Parabellum Scout fairing, Russell Day Long saddle, bar backs, peg lowering) I can't imagine a better all-rounder..
Bill,
My R is set up almost the same as yours (assuming you have saddle bags) and one of my riding buddies tagged it as an RT/Lite. Seems like a good description of a touring R1200R.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Harry, How do you like that fairing? Can you give us some more photos of it?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too