Fools on a Hill

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Fools on a Hill

Post by duckdave »

OK, I found out about this bash via the Naturally Beemers (local BMW m/c group) Newsletter. Checked it out on the web and found out it was in its 10th year—m/c camping (no cars allowed!) at Mt. Nebo Park (Arkansas) on the last weekend of Winter. Somehow it appealed to me.

Fools on a Hill Bash

I kept waiting for the weather to look good all week. Bracketing weekends were in the 70s; but this one started out in the hi 40s/low 30s on Friday. I had about decided it would be too cool to ride (still lacking those electrics), but I was already packed. Decided to ride out to the groc store to "test the water". When I got back, I was already dressed, already packed, it wasn't that bad (not even raining anymore), and I had just enough time to get there b/f dark. What the heck, off I went. [I'm deciding I worry too much!]

March 13-15, 2009 (last weekend of Winter)

When I arrived I kept seeing these piles of ice cubes. I thought, "someone emptied their cooler here"; everywhere I looked it was, "someone emptied their cooler there." Ah-ha! the tree limbs were all frozen with ice last night and they dumped their ice here and there. Cool.

The campfire that night was interesting...it seemed dry near the fire, but if you wandered off, it was actually raining pretty hard out there.

I camped over by the other beemer guys from Dallas. They had ridden all day in the rain to get there.

There were like, at least four, Guzzi's there. Here's my new friend Chris from near Omaha.

There was an interesting mix of bikes at the Fools. This Star had less than 500 miles on it.

This Harley pulled a trailer with amazing stuff in it up the Hill. Can you say, "Hot dog, tater, and scrambled egg hash for breakfast after a cool night?" Yummmmmm. Thanks dude.

The two VFRs got a lot of attention.

This one, a few years old, is being admired by Mario Caruso (w/ a beard); the key person in organizing the Fools rally.Image

A great time was had by all. Saturday, a contingent I was with motored over to Paris to eat at the GrapeVine. We rode back in the rain.
My buddy Richard, aka HCD, came up from Little Rock on his BRAND NEW VFR (under 1K miles), and with his buddy, Kevin. That new VFR was the gathering point of the Bash.

By Sunday, i was ready for some prime weather and it arrived.

I "had" to ride to Hot Springs to join my wife and family at Oaklawn Park (the horse races, for those that don't know) on Sunday. Richard was "familiar" with the roads and lead the way. I re-discovered AR7 on a motorcycle and had some fun! It was cool, and after a rainy weekend, so we had only to share the highway with a few easily-passed pickup trucks. Had so much fun, I forgot to stop and take a picture or two... You probably don't get such a road to yourself very often. Thanks, Richard for the ride!

Here's a picture of my over-burdened beast of burden. I only used 1/3 of the stuff packed (lesson learned!)

I had so much fun on the ride, I had trouble concentrating on the ponies! Does this guy look blissed or what?
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fools on a Hill

Post by OU812 »

Thanks for the report Dave. I really needed it to get me through this Chicago winter! =D> :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

What Steve said!

But we did get out for 1 day ride and I have been riding to work as much as possible. Snow this weekend though :shock:

Looks like you all had a good time, and that was quite a diverse collection of machinery too!

Yep, blissed and your wearing a cool shirt too!

=D> =D> =D>
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Nice pictures and great write up, If it wasn't so early in the year I would think about ridding down,. Thanks for sharing Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Great trip report. I find the riders that enjoy our sport in "crappy" weather are always a joy to meet regardless the bike. They have a different (positive) attitude from fair weather/poser types of the same brand. =D> to you and the others. I haven't camped this Spring, but my Thanksgiving camping trip in Pisgah Forrest off the BRP was about the same. Flippin Cold!!!, but warmed up nicely into the second day.

Safe travels!

Bob