Paralever Torque Arm

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

dgates
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Paralever Torque Arm

Post by dgates »

I recently saw someone mention here that one can change the paralever torque arm on the R1150R to one from the R1150GS (which is 20mm shorter). This will raise the rear end up 1/2 inch(?) and then give a more sportier ride with more weight up front. This is not the first time I have heard this.
Checking on ebay, there are several paralever torque arms for sale, but none from a R1150GS. There are a couple from a R1100GS.
My question is will one from the R1100GS fit on our R1150R?
Thanks in advance...
Doug
dgates
Basic User

Re: Paralever Torque Arm

Post by dgates »

Just checked BeemrBoneyard and they have 385mm for the R1150R and 365mm for the GS. They do mention 365mm for "R850,1100, 1150GS, R1100S". So maybe I just answered my own question.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Yes, you did. BMW shows they as the same part... 33172314179
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
dgates
Basic User

Paralever Torque Arm: another question

Post by dgates »

Who here has replaced their paralever torque arm with the shorter (365mm) one from the GS?
Did it make a differnce? Is it worth doing?
It seems like an easy "upgrade" if it improves handling in the corners etc...
Thanks again...
doug
Ves
Basic User

Re: Paralever Torque Arm: another question

Post by Ves »

dgates wrote:Who here has replaced their paralever torque arm with the shorter (365mm) one from the GS?
Thanks again...
doug
Done it, twice. Yes, it makes a difference. You're raising your rear and you're shortening your wheelbase. If you like sharper handling, it will be the best $50-75 you will ever spend on the bike. Not to mention you're gaining some ground clearance.... AND it's easier to get up on the center stand cause you have less distance to travel. If there's a better mod for the money, I want to hear about it.
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

Thanks...
So the now search begins for the elusive "33172314179".
Ebay has several listed, but I believe are all 385mm. Beemerboneyard is 'sold out'.
Know anyone parting out a GS?
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

I've got a really nice one I'll part with. I prefer the higher "comfort" seat, and that in combination with the shorter GS torque arm was a bit too tall for me. $70 with shipping. PM me if you're interested.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

If you want a fancy one go here

http://www.moto-techniques.com/bmw.htm
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Paralever Torque Arm: another question

Post by riceburner »

dgates wrote:Who here has replaced their paralever torque arm with the shorter (365mm) one from the GS?
Thanks again...
doug

Yup - I've done it. Made a big improvement - and, on the Rockster it means I can use a cheap R1150R replacement shock without lowering the bike lower than standard. (the standard Rockster shock is longer than the R1150R one).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

One downside is that after installing the GS arm, the rear wheel will no longer lift clear of the ground. It is kinda like the wheels and the stand all touch the ground.

Cheers
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

Ruddy, PM sent.
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

bikermeow wrote:One downside is that after installing the GS arm, the rear wheel will no longer lift clear of the ground. It is kinda like the wheels and the stand all touch the ground.

Cheers
Put a strip of 3/4 ply under your center stand and problem solved :D
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

snowprick wrote:
bikermeow wrote:One downside is that after installing the GS arm, the rear wheel will no longer lift clear of the ground. It is kinda like the wheels and the stand all touch the ground.

Cheers
Yes, done that. Problem is that sometime out there and at gas stations it's a pain to fill up the rear tyre.

Cheers
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

bikermeow wrote:
snowprick wrote:

Cheers
Yes, done that. Problem is that sometime out there and at gas stations it's a pain to fill up the rear tyre.

Cheers
Downside:
1. Bike is easier to knock off center stand.
2. Seat is higher (if you're inseamly challenged)
3. Bike leans further when on sidestand.
4. Can't rotate your tires when on center stand.

Upside:
Bike is easier to put on center stand. I can do it while still seated on the bike!
Increased ground clearance for leaning <== that's a big one (every mm counts)
Improved handling <=== Ding, Ding, Ding :!: We have a winner... :!:

Regarding the downsides:
1. Easier doesn't mean you're going to knock it off by breath on it. It still take some effort. Let's just say you don't want a bunch of kids jumping all over it and playing horsey. One way to make it even more difficult is to put the bike in gear before you put it on the center stand, then pull in the clutch while you lift it. That way the bike is in gear, and the rear tire is in contact with the ground... it's not going anywhere.
2. Bummer...
3. Using the side stand on soft surfaces makes it just that much more likely to tip over, especially if you're fully loaded with bags, etc.. But look here, even on an uneven surface and dirt, way leaned over, fully loaded, it still didn't fall over:
4. Bummer...
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

Ves wrote: Downside:
1. Bike is easier to knock off center stand.
2. Seat is higher (if you're inseamly challenged)
3. Bike leans further when on sidestand.
4. Can't rotate your tires when on center stand.

Regarding the downsides:
2. Bummer...
Thanks .... :(

That is the worst bummer :) Bike is really flickable tho .....
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

and, on the Rockster it means I can use a cheap R1150R replacement shock without lowering the bike lower than standard. (the standard Rockster shock is longer than the R1150R one).
burner- so the use of Roadster shock on GS-paralevered-Rockster gives up a bit of the seat height/cylinder clearance, but retains the shorter wheelbase and steeper head angle for steering quickness? Center- and side-stand stability are probably a bit better than full Rockster shock + GS-paralever combination.

Ves (or anyone) - any easy rattle can solution to matching Rockster flat black drivetrain paint for a GS torque arm?
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

sweatmark wrote:
and, on the Rockster it means I can use a cheap R1150R replacement shock without lowering the bike lower than standard. (the standard Rockster shock is longer than the R1150R one).
burner- so the use of Roadster shock on GS-paralevered-Rockster gives up a bit of the seat height/cylinder clearance, but retains the shorter wheelbase and steeper head angle for steering quickness? Center- and side-stand stability are probably a bit better than full Rockster shock + GS-paralever combination.

Ves (or anyone) - any easy rattle can solution to matching Rockster flat black drivetrain paint for a GS torque arm?
:smt017 My brain hurts thinking about this... Well, the steeper head angle comes from the rear being raised relative to the ground (and the front), so, anything you do to bring the rear back down, will remove some of that angle. Yes, you will still have the shorter wheelbase... :-k can't see why you wouldn't...

The problem with painting the arm is it's two stamped pieces, painted inside and out. Guess you could try spraying from different sides, through the gap between them to get as much of the inside painted as you can... but to do it right, you'd have to press out the bushings, and then press everything back together when you're done painting the two halves... :-k
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:

TBH I think it's more a case that the short R1150R shock and short Paralever arm bring the bike back to "near stock" in terms of seat height/ground clearance.

Re the wheelbase.... err.... not sure tbh the mechanics of the paralever setup really need to be drawn up graphically for me to understand it completely!!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Darn Ves

You forgot to pack the kitchen sink, does she still corner well during track days......that loaded????? Inquiring minds want to know....... :-k :-k
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

:smt066 (Hand over this thread and no one gets hurt.)
boxermania wrote:Darn Ves

You forgot to pack the kitchen sink, does she still corner well during track days......that loaded????? Inquiring minds want to know....... :-k :-k
:lol: Now that would be funny... sneak up on some inexperienced guy on a GSXR and blast past him with bags, tank bag, trunk, tent, sleeping bag, two weeks of clothes, etc... :smt044

Tell you what, the race track is got nothing on some of the roads in California. She still handled great: