Paralever Torque Arm

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Paralever Torque Arm

Post by riceburner »

Ves wrote::smt066 (Hand over this thread and no one gets hurt.)
boxermania wrote:Darn Ves

You forgot to pack the kitchen sink, does she still corner well during track days......that loaded????? Inquiring minds want to know....... :-k :-k
:lol: Now that would be funny... sneak up on some inexperienced guy on a GSXR and blast past him with bags, tank bag, trunk, tent, sleeping bag, two weeks of clothes, etc... :smt044

Tell you what, the race track is got nothing on some of the roads in California. She still handled great:
I hvae to admit - I did something similar once on my ZXR400 - coming home from visiting my then girlfriend (now wife. ;) ) I was loaded up with panniers, tailpack, tankbag and caught a group of bigger bikes out for a ride. They weren't hanging about either. Climbing up a steep set of sharp corners I went round all 3 of them in succession.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

So, say someone happened to purchase a torque arm off of a nice person who was parting out their GS and it looks like this:

(its that bit that looks like a torque arm :p )

Looking at it in just that picture, what else am I gonna need to swap it with the one on my R (1150R)?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

JUST that. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

OK, I located a 365mm torque arm (thanks Rick) and installed it this evening. Definately makes the bike more "flipable" on my "shake down run". I will have to get used to the added height of the seat. Talk about your EZ upgrade. Thanks all for your advice.
Doug
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

riceburner wrote:JUST that. :)
No bushings or anything? Or at least nothing I can't take off the arm currently on my bike?
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

It should look like this. There are two lengths, 365mm and 385mm. The R1150R stock is 385mm and you want the one off of the GS which is 365mm to raise the rear and shorten the wheelbase.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/g ... BJv-k2.jpg
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

AirForceDirt wrote:
riceburner wrote:JUST that. :)
No bushings or anything? Or at least nothing I can't take off the arm currently on my bike?
Not that I can remember - use the same bolts as are in situ at the moment and IIRC there's nothing complex about it.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

dgates wrote:It should look like this. There are two lengths, 365mm and 385mm. The R1150R stock is 385mm and you want the one off of the GS which is 365mm to raise the rear and shorten the wheelbase.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/g ... BJv-k2.jpg

The one I bought (and am just waiting on the mail) is from a GS. I'll take a closer look at it when it shows up.

For those that have changed it: Anything special one needs to do to get the shorter arm on without a lift, and are there anything I need to make sure not to do. Not really wanting to damage anything unduly.
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

I just did mine the other day as noted above and I don't fell like I can really give you any expert advice other than it is a simple procedure, two bolts off and two bolts on.
I did NOT remove the rear wheel and brake caliper. I am now wondering if I should have done this in that the brake line seems to be pulled tighter and slightly contorted. The rear wheel does not spin as freely as it did because the rear brake shoes are grabbing. I have seem to have lost some braking power from the rear brakes (non-ABS/non-linked). I have yet to have time to remove the brake caliper and investigate. I will get to wrenching this evening when I get home from work and will post if I find anything worth mentioning.
If anyone here on this board would like to add any words of wisdom, please feel free.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Ordered GS torque arm today for my Rockster. Just keeping up with the cool kids at school.
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

I think you want to say 'kewl'. :D
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

So has anyone seen the adjustable torque arm the Sierra BMW is selling? Looks like a nifty idea, if a bit expensive. I suppose if you don't want to deal with having two of them.
Linky:
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/verholen ... p-182.html
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Torque arm installed.
Anyone else have the rear brake line kinda tight? I think I'll have to get a moderately longer rear brake line just in case. Maybe the one from the GS (its gotta be longer, right?). Not sure, but it sure was a bitch to get on, thats for sure. Rear wheel off, brake off, jack the bike up WAY higher than I'd like, then jack it up higher to get the wheel back on...but totally worth it. If nothing else, the bike is taller and a bit more comfortable of a riding position.
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

When I swapped torque arms, I didn't remove anything other than my hard bags so the bike would sit on the front tire while on the centerstand. You can gently rock the bike to the rear to line up the mounting holes. It's a 10-15 minute job if you do it this way.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

AirForceDirt wrote:Torque arm installed.
Anyone else have the rear brake line kinda tight? I think I'll have to get a moderately longer rear brake line just in case. Maybe the one from the GS (its gotta be longer, right?). Not sure, but it sure was a bitch to get on, thats for sure. Rear wheel off, brake off, jack the bike up WAY higher than I'd like, then jack it up higher to get the wheel back on...but totally worth it. If nothing else, the bike is taller and a bit more comfortable of a riding position.

My brake line was tight. I had to loosen the bolts slightly on the ends of the brake line and turn to give the line more slack. I loosened just enough to rotate the thing-a-ma-jig without allowing air into the brake line. I figured if I did get air in the line, no biggy to bleed the rear brake.
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

dgates wrote:
My brake line was tight. I had to loosen the bolts slightly on the ends of the brake line and turn to give the line more slack. I loosened just enough to rotate the thing-a-ma-jig without allowing air into the brake line. I figured if I did get air in the line, no biggy to bleed the rear brake.
I turned them as well, but its still a bit tighter than I'd like. Is it enough of an issue to bother getting a longer one, having the braided steel line a little tight?
dgates
Basic User

Post by dgates »

AirForceDirt wrote:
I turned them as well, but its still a bit tighter than I'd like. Is it enough of an issue to bother getting a longer one, having the braided steel line a little tight?
Good point...
I looked at the parts fiche on Max BMW. com and indeed there are different length rear brake line for the R and GS.

For the R:
06 34327651643 brake hose rear (L=330MM) BUY 1 $63.43

and for the GS there are two lengths:
06 34327651363 brake hose (L=355MM) BUY 1 $63.43
06 34322338183 brake hose (L=350MM) BUY 1 $63.43

I wonder if there is stress on the line when the swingarm rebounds beyond its static position?
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

dgates wrote:
AirForceDirt wrote:
Good point...
I looked at the parts fiche on Max BMW. com and indeed there are different length rear brake line for the R and GS.

For the R:
06 34327651643 brake hose rear (L=330MM) BUY 1 $63.43

and for the GS there are two lengths:
06 34327651363 brake hose (L=355MM) BUY 1 $63.43
06 34322338183 brake hose (L=350MM) BUY 1 $63.43

I wonder if there is stress on the line when the swingarm rebounds beyond its static position?
Not sure. Not really sure I want to find out. Also not sure I wanna know how much a GS brake line is.
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

I changed mine to a GS torque arm, no issues with the brake lines. And when I subsequently changed my brake lines to Goodridge, I gave them the specs for a R1150R and not a GS ...

DOH! is that why the darn rear brake ......... :lol:
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Well, I bought a GS rear brake line (nothing seems to be cheap with beemers, damnit) so when that gets in I'll find someone who knows how to bleed a a non-abs bmw and will be willing to help me, since I'm NOT going to pay the nice BMW dealership $81 an hour to bleed my brakes.