Exhausts

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Pugs1615
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Exhausts

Post by Pugs1615 »

New to the forum so I apologise if going over old ground so please be gentle.

I have owned my 2002 R1150R for a little over 2 months and must say it has rather grown on me. Apart from an annoying speedo drive failure the bike has lived up to my expectations and surprised how easy it was to adapt from a Harley to the BMW.

With a rare chance to ride in the sun, this is Manchester UK after all, a few of us spent a few hours around the Goyt Valley near Buxton, which I must say is a beautiful part of the world. Whilst we stopped for a brew another biker stopped for a chat and he advised me to swap the exhaust to a Remus with a Y Piece, which would replace the Cat. He seemed to think this would improve performance as the standard one chokes the power a little.
I must say the Carbon Remus would set the bike off quite nicely although £500 does seem a lot to spend if the difference is only subtle.

What are other members experiences to these after market exhausts and any better alternatives out there in the market?

Many thanks
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Re: Exhausts

Post by DJ Downunder »

Just take the stock exhaust can off (10 minutes) and put on an auto exhaust tip ($10)... Job done.. :D

Try it and if you don't like it it will only take you another ten minutes to put it back on.

I've been running mine (also an 02) for about 6 years now.

DJ

AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

I have a full Remus system on my bike (headers are stock as they do not need to be replaced) and the only thing I've noticed is that the gas mileage has gone down a bit, it dropped a bunch of weight from the bike, and has a gruntier sound. I'm not sure of the performance differences for sure (I don't have any data to back up any claims) but it seems to have a tiny bit more low end grunt at the expense of the top speed. I hear of stock 1150R's pushing about 130mph and mine tops out at 115 with no bags and me tucked pretty hard (tested it this weekend).

Its mostly an audible and visual change, so do what you think looks and sounds best.
Pugs1615
Basic User

Post by Pugs1615 »

Cheers guys. I'm not sure the anti fun police in Manchester would like your improvement DJ. The boys in blue over the Cat & Fiddle (most dangerous road in Europe so we're led to believe) would have a field day if I passed them! [-X
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Pugs1615 wrote:Cheers guys. I'm not sure the anti fun police in Manchester would like your improvement DJ. The boys in blue over the Cat & Fiddle (most dangerous road in Europe so we're led to believe) would have a field day if I passed them! [-X
Why?... It's not loud.. Not as loud as a Y pipe and sports muffler... Try it you will be surprised.

DJ
Pugs1615
Basic User

Post by Pugs1615 »

I bet there's some serious weight saving!

I'm suprised it's not loud but take your word for it. I just know what the police will think when they see it regardless of how it sounds.

I do like the look of the carbon silencers though and think would look great against the black paint. Only colour to have in my opinion.
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

My bike without the can is still 3 times more quiet than all of my friends sportbikes exhausts :D . Sometimes I get jealous because when they go under bridges they are really cool and rev their engines really loud to make that "cat in heat whining noise", I cant do that cuz my bike is too quiet 8-[ I'm soooo jealous
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
Beaze
Basic User

Post by Beaze »

I took the pipe off when I put my Ohlins on and tried running it without the muffler prior to reinstalling it. It basically sounds the same, that cat really backs things up. I'm going to do the catectomy as soon as I get my hands on a welder...anyone in VA have one? (I'm lazy and don't feel like paying a muffler shop to do it)
Phang
Lifer
Donating Member #: 707

Post by Phang »

I weighed the cat and muffler a few months back.

Muffler = 5.6kgs (12.3lbs)
Cat (with stuffings) = 6.9kgs (15.2lbs)

AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Pugs1615 wrote:I bet there's some serious weight saving!

I'm suprised it's not loud but take your word for it. I just know what the police will think when they see it regardless of how it sounds.

I do like the look of the carbon silencers though and think would look great against the black paint. Only colour to have in my opinion.
You mean like this?:

The can weighs like 6 or 7 pounds and the y-pipe weighs about 9ish, give or take. I have yet to remove the "removable" baffle inside my can as I'm not sure I want it that loud. Anyone done that with with a Y-pipe? (hijack done)
Pugs1615
Basic User

Post by Pugs1615 »

=D> I mean exactly like that! Good man! =D>

Do you have a wider shot?

Would be interested to hear if someone has done it with the Y Piece and their experience regarding performance etc.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

About 4 years ago, I replaced the cat on my '03 R with a Sebring Y-pipe but left the stock can in place. My reason for the change was to get rid of the uneeded weight and more importantly, to get rid of the extra heat needlessly warming up both my feet and the transmission gear lube.

There was/is a slight change to the timbre of the exhaust notes (less of that "sewing machine" sound) and perhaps a very slight increase in db level. There is also an almost imperceptable change to performance that I'd describe as making the engine more responsive, not an increase in power. No change to fuel consumption numbers.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

I did DJ's "lose the muffler" mod last summer, and it works great. To try it out, just pull the can and go for a ride. You will quickly determine how much louder it is. Adding the exhaust tip does seem mellow the droning sound, so I definitely recommend one.

If you look around, you'll see that the underslung mufflers with stubby exhaust tips are the current fashion (Buells, Kawasaki Versys, etc.), so this mod makes our bike look more "cutting edge" than ever. It also removes about 12 lbs of weight and allows the use of full-sized hard bags.

It's cheap, practical and isn't illegally loud, so why not try it?
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

I put a y pipe and a staintune low exhaust on two years ago. I also used the extra insert, (sport),as I didn't like the extra dB. I think it is a bit more responsive either that or it is lighter and feels more agile. I ride on a lot of WV goat tracks and I think it allows the bike to run cooler, no hard data of course. Would I do it again, in a nanosecond. BTW I bought both used on this list or bmwmoa. Also check fleabay I think it is real safe to get BMW items there as the seller is one of us.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Pugs1615

The less expensive fix is the DJ mod as it costs a few dollars, removes some weight and it isn't loud. A Y pipe and can will give you in the order of 3 additional HP (I dynoed mine) at the rear wheel along with losing about 12 pounds of weight, but it will cost you plenty. Maybe you can pick something used on Ebay...we yanks always look at that possibility.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Pugs1615 wrote:=D> I mean exactly like that! Good man! =D>

Do you have a wider shot?

Would be interested to hear if someone has done it with the Y Piece and their experience regarding performance etc.

I regress. I have the Y-pipe and was wondering if anyone with said y-pipe AND can has removed the baffle in their muffler. I'm curious how it sounds.
Here's a few pictures:

And the ultra close-up (not so much of the muffler, but I kinda like this shot):
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

While we're on the subject, has anyone weighed the OE cat collector before and after gutting the thing?

I sure believe Phang's figure of 15 lb for the cat - it's a big chunk of stainless steel.

The Ztechnik titanium system I'm running now weighs about 6.5 lb (estimate), including both y-pipe and flatulant muffler. I hate how it sounds; I love how little it weighs.
Pugs1615
Basic User

Post by Pugs1615 »

Thanks AirForceDirt, love the shots. Good work. =D>

Can I ask you about the hand guards. Did they come with the bike or are they GS ones, which you have modified?
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Pugs1615 wrote:Thanks AirForceDirt, love the shots. Good work. =D>

Can I ask you about the hand guards. Did they come with the bike or are they GS ones, which you have modified?
The handguards are from an 1150GS with the Touratech spoilers attached. They took a bit of language to get on properly but they are great. Too good sometimes, for Tucson summers, as they keep all the airflow off my gloves and my hands overheat.
Beaze
Basic User

Post by Beaze »

The handguards are from an 1150GS with the Touratech spoilers attached. They took a bit of language to get on properly but they are great. Too good sometimes, for Tucson summers, as they keep all the airflow off my gloves and my hands overheat.
I noticed that too on my Rockster, but it's easier to leave them on instead of wishing that I hadn't taken them off :p .