Finger Trouble- Lever Adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Finger Trouble- Lever Adjustment

Post by gregor »

I’m suffering from stiff and painful fingers in both hands. Tendonitis my GP calls it. Discomfort has abated and I can ride the bike- but I now realise that I’m doing a lot of the clutch work with the middle joints. I reckon if I rotated the levers down towards the ground a bit I could share some of the work with the largest joint. Hopefully, I will still be able to see out the mirrors.
So how do I slacken the levers? I assume the clamps are hidden.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Finger Trouble- Lever Adjustment

Post by Boxer »

When rotating the handles you also rotate the fluid reservoirs for clutch and front brake. Be careful you don't tilt them to the point of it running out when you take the covers off.

The clamp is underneath the switchgear cover and is loosened with a 3 or 4mm hex key. To take off the covers you need to remove the mirrors and one of 3 screws is up behind the mirror stalk. The other two are underneath and one on the front. Pretty easy. (That same little clamp on the right side is the same one you have to loosen to slide the throttle handle in and out to adjust the holding action on a Throttlemeister.)
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Things went from bad to worse. Eventually I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Not ridden my bike since last July as I was lacking in hand strength.

Medication seems to have improved things and today got the bike washed and fired up after a prod from SWMBO. Going for a ride tomorrow so fingers crossed.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Good luck to you. I'm noticing some tingling and numbness in my throttle hand but I had that some before on my other bike. I am hunting for a set of used throttlemeisters to see if that helps. I think a tight grip on the throttle side is what's doing it. I hope your weakness goes away - best of luck to you.
2004 R1150RS
Texasdad
Basic User

Post by Texasdad »

I suffer from carpal tunnel in both hands. I bought a pair of Qwi gloves at the International motorcycle show. These gloves have helped me enjoy riding more with less numbness and pain.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/
Texasdad
02/R1150R
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Thanks for that information - I will seriously look into these.
2004 R1150RS
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Although I'm fortunate not to be tasked by the ailment I have used, just about all my adult riding years the shorty, gel filled gloves, however, when I purchased them they were to referred as "weight lifter gloves"........and paid like $11 for them.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

I also suffer from a bit of rheumatoid arthritis in my right hand. I find if I ride with my fingers wrapped around the throttle, I sometimes can't apply the front brake quickly due to some painful stiffness in my fingers. If I keep two fingers covering the lever, however, I have no problem. I have started doing the same thing with the clutch lever as well. I don't have arthritis in my left hand, but I do get some carpal tunnel numbness. The two fingers covering the lever keeps me from gripping too tightly and seems to help. I don't know if this would apply in your situation, but it works for me. It also has a side benefit of shortening my reaction time to squeeze either lever.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Best trick would be to make sure that when you're in your normal riding position there is a straight line along your forearm, over your wrist and across the back of your hand when your fingers are resting on the levers. If not you're exacerbating any tendon issues.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Thanks for the positive replies. I do not have carpal tunnel syndrome. My clutch hand got a bit sore after a while , but I had that before my current diagnosis. Maybe a matter of getting used to it again. After 6 months of Methotrexate therapy the general strength and reliability of my hands is much improved.
Had a great if somwhat chilly ride yesterday with my favourite pillion passenger (my wife).