do i have a serious clutch problem?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

2002r1150r
Basic User

do i have a serious clutch problem?

Post by 2002r1150r »

Hello, Im a newbie to the BMW world..just got off my suzuki dr650 and on to a 2002 R1150R which runs great and has only 34k miles on the clock..my question, which could be a problem, is that when the bike gets up to operating temp I notice a rattling coming from the engine while its in gear when i pull in the clutch lever ...The rattling, which i can feel in my feet, increases pace with the engine speed when "blipping the throttle" while the clutch lever is pulled in. When the lever is not pulled in and i'm just accelerating it feels just fine... does this sound like a symptom of a potential clutch failure or is this just normal for a dry clutch since i'm used to a multi-plate wet system? Thanks in advance. :D
timl
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: do i have a serious clutch problem?

Post by timl »

I suspect the rattling may be the left side cam chain tensioner. My R1150R occasionally makes a loud rattle on the left side of the engine. I usually notice it when I stop at a stop sign and pull in the clutch. But only once the engine is thoroughly warmed up. If you don't hear the noise when the engine is cold (and the oil thick) I'll bet that is it.

There is plenty of info on this site about how to easily resolve this via an upgraded part (search on tensioner). The consensus is the problem is annoying but not a serious concern.
2004 Rockster
2002r1150r
Basic User

Post by 2002r1150r »

timl wrote:I suspect the rattling may be the left side cam chain tensioner. My R1150R occasionally makes a loud rattle on the left side of the engine. I usually notice it when I stop at a stop sign and pull in the clutch. But only once the engine is thoroughly warmed up. If you don't hear the noise when the engine is cold (and the oil thick) I'll bet that is it.

There is plenty of info on this site about how to easily resolve this via an upgraded part (search on tensioner). The consensus is the problem is annoying but not a serious concern.
thanks for the quick reply...that makes me feel better. i too find the noise annoying but can definitely live with it
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Noise associated with the clutch dis-engaged like that, it could be the dreaded clutch splines worn down. Or is it the other way around..noise when the clutch is engaged? I've just heard Cyclerob allude to this problem, so maybe others more knowledgable can chime in here.
The cam chain tensioner is certainly an easy fix to try that first and see if it stops it.
keithbw
Lifer

Post by keithbw »

The cam chain tensioner on my 02 R makes the most noise when decelerating on an uphill grade after pulling in the clutch. Makes a hell of a racket
until I blip the throttle a few times. I am swapping it with the upgraded version during my slave cylinder & clutch friction disc replacement. My clutch made no noise that I noticed, the slave blew so I decided to replace the disc also. Unfortunately, RB racing is taking many weeks to make the friction disc I ordered to replace the OEM item. I ordered it June 11, still waiting.....Called a few times, they tell me it's almost done.

How did you like the DR? I am going to buy one soon to commute on, and take out the desert on weekends. I am looking to simplify my ride as much as possible. Two cylinders to one.

Brian
2002r1150r
Basic User

Post by 2002r1150r »

keithbw wrote:The cam chain tensioner on my 02 R makes the most noise when decelerating on an uphill grade after pulling in the clutch. Makes a hell of a racket
until I blip the throttle a few times. I am swapping it with the upgraded version during my slave cylinder & clutch friction disc replacement. My clutch made no noise that I noticed, the slave blew so I decided to replace the disc also. Unfortunately, RB racing is taking many weeks to make the friction disc I ordered to replace the OEM item. I ordered it June 11, still waiting.....Called a few times, they tell me it's almost done.

How did you like the DR? I am going to buy one soon to commute on, and take out the desert on weekends. I am looking to simplify my ride as much as possible. Two cylinders to one.

Brian

The DR is an awesome bike...cheap to operate...stone cold reliable and quite fast with the proper upgrades...i still have mine and cant get rid of it since ive done so much to it , id lose a bundle unless i parted it out. if ur thinking desert id go with the xr650r ...i have one too...its very light(for a 650) and crazy fast/powerful...the dr is pretty heavy if you drop it and bit sluggish offroad...as a commuter though its perfect