Hnugry Mother 2009 Ride reports and Photos Thread

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Hnugry Mother 2009 Ride reports and Photos Thread

Post by Boxer »

There may already be some on that other thread but someone who has the "power" can easily move those over here. TIA

This is a link to GypsyRR's set of photos on Picasa. She's not where she can post this at the present time but she requested we get it done so those who are interested can see some pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kristi611/H ... directlink#
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Re: Hnugry Mother 2009 Ride reports and Photos Thread

Post by Biff's R »

Nice pics. Looks like Chew's turn signals were uneven on Friday when they rode 16.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Looked like fun! Wish I could have gone, but used up a bunch of credits doing the MOA and RA rallies. How does Gypsy take those great pictures on the bike? Freehand, or some kind of mount?
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I don't think its mounted. I believe she just holds it up and shoots on the fly.

I took pictures too but it may be tomorrow before I have the energy to work through them and put some up for viewing. My friend Marvin also took lots of photos and videos, but he's not on this board, so I'll have to wait for him to edit his as well and get them posted somewhere.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

jfslater98 wrote:How does Gypsy take those great pictures on the bike? Freehand, or some kind of mount?
both ways--freehand and a ram res mount
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Here is a link to my gallery of pictures. Like our Mystery Guest, I have tried to shoot some from the bike to add interest. Still experimenting with that!

Great weekend, although I had to leave Saturday evening due to family stuff. But we had great weather, great roads and some good company. Good to meet the new folks and look forward to the next time we can ride together!

http://gallery.me.com/vannwaters#100159
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

More great pics, thanks Vann! Questions: was that your tent on the platform there? Was that a special location that you had to claim early, or did everyone who camp get their own patch of hardwood to set up on? Never really camped before, so I'm curious. Thanks.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

js - yes that is my tent and campsite. At this state park, there were 11 sites on Loop C, all with wooden platforms for the tents, a fireplace ring and a picnic table. We had reserved 10 of the 11 sites as per our tradition. The last site they will not reserve, saving it on a 'first come' basis. The first one at Hungry Mother usually grabs the last site to keep the whole site to ourselves. However, this year, the park was apparently onto us, would not let any of the Thursday arrivals rent the last site and put a family there for the weekend. It worked out, they were cool with us and frankly, during the day, Loop C was quiet for them because we were out riding!

We all just filtered in and claimed the reserved sites until we filled them all up!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I think the fact that this occurred the last weekend before school started there, created the perceived need by the Rangers/Park Operators to keep that one site for locals who wanted to camp. The place was busier than a Mormon family reunion.

To outwit them we'd have to employ a local to drive up in his/her Saturn and reserve the extra spot for the two days...Drive in, put up the tag on the post and leave.
VolcomHawtie
Basic User

Post by VolcomHawtie »

looks like a fun time!
Kiss me and i'll see stars ...love me and i'll give them to you!

aftermarket bmw accessories
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Boxer wrote:I think the fact that this occurred the last weekend before school started there, created the perceived need by the Rangers/Park Operators to keep that one site for locals who wanted to camp. The place was busier than a Mormon family reunion.

To outwit them we'd have to employ a local to drive up in his/her Saturn and reserve the extra spot for the two days...Drive in, put up the tag on the post and leave.
I nominate Brian.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

First the bad...the slab ride across IA, IL, IN, and the first part of KY were as boring as you might expect. The boredom was only interrupted by periods of extreme frustration when construction brought the traffic to a stand-still. The worst of these incidents was the first day on way home (sunday), just east of Louisville. I could see the long line in front of me. The traffic was too slow to keep the bike from overheating. So I: gave up, pulled over on the shoulder, turned off the bike, put it on its stand, took off my helmet, reclined back on my camping gear, and had a cigarette. The people in the cars inching past all had the look on their faces that said, "Look at the crazy idiot from Iowa." After a smoke, the crazy idiot from Iowa passed them all back. I just put the bike in second gear, and idled along shoulder.

Now for the good...Once I got to the eastern part of KY and then VA, the roads were great. On Saturday, Vann was kind enough to keep a pace through the twisty roads that this flatlander could keep up with. The roads were all that. The ride home on Sunday through Virginia, West Virginia, Virginia (again), and Kentucky was outstanding also. This was the type of riding I had in mind when I bought this bike. The weather the whole trip was absolutely beautiful. The only rain I had in 5 days was a light sprinkle within 60 miles of home...not once did I put on rain gear. The food was good. It is true that at the Mexican place... I did order a second entree right after eating my first. What can I say, I was a hungry mother.... The strangers I met along the way were so nice. One lady in KY said, "Did you ride that thing all the way from Iowa?...myyyy goodness!" I think I will miss the local accents of the appalachian folks. Their accents just seem seem to convey warmth and hospitality.

The best...was getting a chance to meet more of our great community we have here... what a great group of folks. I truly enjoyed getting to meet the Mid-Atlanic gang in person. It was also a pleasure to meet the mystery guest who was the only other non-east coaster. But, I win the contest for the longest ride to the party. (putting the bike in a truck is cheating)

and finally...my pictures
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m116 ... %20mother/
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Boxer wrote:This is a link to GypsyRR's set of photos on Picasa. She's not where she can post this at the present time but she requested we get it done so those who are interested can see some pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Kristi611/H ... directlink#
Interpretive Guide....
#'s 1-19 Are Hungry Mother State Park and environs. Elevation about 2100 feet.
20-25 Virginia State Road 660 from Marion to Lodi. Country road through many small towns, villages, and farming hamlets. Follows the South Fork of the Holston River.
26-37 VA SR803 Lodi to Meadowview. Smaller country road. Switches from South Fork to Middle Fork Holston.
38-50 VA 600 at Mount Rogers AT crossing. Note we have more horsepower than they do.
50-59 VA 600 north to Chilhowie. A past HMSP tradition. Be careful in Chilhowie--- they don't serve our kind there.
60-64 VA SR 660 return leg. Only Orange VW on fire in the lower 48!
66-79 VA 16 Marion to Tazewell. THE ONE mandatory HMSP ride.
80-92 Approach to Burke's Garden. Sorry don't know road numbers.
93-102 Burke's Garden. A geographic/geologic oddity? But a very nice place.
103-104 VA SR658 and VA 91. Similar ride to VA SR660 and 803. Same destinations by different routes.
105-115 Tennessee HWY 67/North Carolina Highway 88. Along the source waters of the New River (North Fork New River)
116-124 NC 194 Jefferson, NC to Volney, VA. A back road to reconnect from NC to VA without the crowds.

Missing Roads:
US 58 from Damascus to VA SR600. A great US Highway with climbing twisties to rival any of the better known roads. But plagued by trailer towing vans hauling mountain bikers to the Virginia Creeper Rail-Trail. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
TN 133 from Damascus to Shady Valley. My favorite of the Shady Valley approaches. Features the world's shortest tunnel.
US 421 "The Snake" from Shady Valley to Mountain City. The Deal's Gap of north Tennessee. Better than the original.
(I imagine even the great photographers need to use both hands on some roads!)
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Those of you who met my friend Marvin at HM are sort of aware of his sense of humor, but this little video he put together from the weekend will enlighten the others. My little slide show is still in the works but it pales in comparison to Marvin's efforts here. When you get to the slide where it says, "Crankshaft will talk with anyone." , pause it and check out the picture. LOL Enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPln4tgtBWc
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Okay. Finally. Here's my slideshow.

Click Here
jrsndman
Lifer
Donating Member #: 720

Post by jrsndman »

Wow! Glad Marvin made out better than that bear.
Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Phil, you are indeed gifted!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Boxer wrote: When you get to the slide where it says, "Crankshaft will talk with anyone." , pause it and check out the picture. LOL Enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPln4tgtBWc
It looks like you have camo underwear on your head. LOL
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

so, what is the story on the bear, where when how why--we know who

Is that an adolescent? Pretty animal though, too bad

Thanks

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates