Sherando Lake rally (Virginia)

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Sherando Lake rally (Virginia)

Post by R4R&R »

Anyone planning on going to this rally - it's this weekend. Currently I'm planning on going, and maybe staying over until Monday (since it's a holiday). There are a few others from my local club going, and I'll probably setup near them.

http://www.rbmwr.com/sherando.html

Apparently this rally does not hav seminars - it's more about riding (sounds like a bash!).

Let me know if anyone else is going.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Sherando Lake rally (Virginia)

Post by wncbmw »

I used to go to this but haven't for some time. Won't this year either but I remember it as a good time. They still do the big chicken grill thing for Saturday evening?
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

It's Finger Lakes Rally Time...

Also known as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1rSm2MDM4
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

John (or Vann),

Does the Richmond group take over the entire park? Or just one camping section? How much room for spreading out tent space? Hot showers? Fresh water?

Does the gate really lock at 10pm and unlock at 6 am? (How fascist).
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

I can't answer any of those questions, since this is my first time going. I know there are a few others from the local club going and they are a good group to hang out with. For some of them, this is their favorite rally of the year since it's low key.

If interested, follow this link to our local club and see the details of where they camp. It sounds like the majority of the campground is used for this rally.

http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14760
John
Member 293 (I think)
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Thanks John.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

MikeCam wrote:John (or Vann),

Does the Richmond group take over the entire park? Or just one camping section? How much room for spreading out tent space? Hot showers? Fresh water?

Does the gate really lock at 10pm and unlock at 6 am? (How fascist).
Now I can answer these. They had the whole 'group camping' area for the club. The rest of the campground was filled up but we were far enough away from the rest of it, it wasn't an issue. It's pretty much first come, first serve on the tent space. Our club usually takes this one area and they had plenty of space.
As for showers - they were hot. The group camping had a pit latrine, and one bath/shower house. Two individual showers - hot water (although you couldn't control how hot; I would've preferred a colder shower at that point). There wasn't ever a line or wait for the showers.

Fresh water? They had fresh water spigots spaced pretty evenly thru the group camping area. Plus the bathrooms had sinks with hot/cold water.

Yes, they locked the gat at 10PM, and opened it up at 6AM. It wasn't an issue but we did have one club member 'hoteling' it in Waynesboro and left the site around 11PM. Luckily the 'gatekeeper' was a volunteer in an RV right next to us so they went and let him out.

I think overall they had about 150 people there. The chicken dinner was pretty good this year, but the best part of it all was the weather - perfect for camping and riding motorcycles in the blue ridge mountains! Mid 80's in the day and proabably high 50's at night.

Link to a few pictures I took:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JLWasHere/S ... keBMWRally

Pics:
Campsite (my blue tent on the right):

Lunch in Goshen, VA.:

Out riding in a small group on the Blue Ridge Parkway (notice Jim VonBaden's new Triumph in the front):
John
Member 293 (I think)