Side stand overnight

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

papasong
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Side stand overnight

Post by papasong »

Newbie question # 483...

I have to park overnight on a very un-level surface.
Parking on the sidestand is more stable than on the center stand.
I was told that if I parked longer than an hour or so, I should put her up on the center stand.

If I do park on the sidestand for an extended period of time, what's the best start-up protocol for the next day?
Level the bike and let the oil settle into both cylinders, and then start her up?

Thanks,
Jeff
Current: 2009 R1200R Night Black
Past: 2008 F800ST Graphitan
Lifer #864
bobw
Basic User

Re: Side stand overnight

Post by bobw »

I would not worry about using the side stand when it is the most stable option. Where did an hour come from for safe use??? I can think of many situations where a few seconds would be pushing it and others where time is never a concern. The center stand is an option on our bikes and many bikes don't offer them at all, so use the one you think is best. Some folks use a larger add on foot for the side stand or buy a small "coaster" to rest the foot on. In a pinch I have used a small piece of wood or crushed soda/beer can to place under the stand to provide a firm placement when on muddy ground or soft pavement. Just make sure she's stable and I leave mine in first gear to prevent rolling off the side stand. The early brick (4 cylinder K bikes) motors had some smoking at start up after being parked on the side stand due to some design issues. The R1200 does not have this problem and the oil level is below the cylinder bore level when the engine is off. You may feel better lifting her prior to start up, but the oil is moved under pressure when the engine is running and regardless the slight difference of being on either stand will not starve the oil pump or leave your engine without lubrication. She's "air cooled" with no fans, so I pretty much start her and slowly drive as she comes up to operating temps. YRMV.

Safe travels.
papasong
Lifer

Post by papasong »

Thanks, bobw.

It was my dealer who suggested that it's not optimal to leave the bike on its sidestand for extended periods of time. He said if I'm going to be parked longer than an hour, centerstand is best.
I wasn't sure if that meant - with a boxer engine - the right side valve would "dry" out overnight on the sidestand...

Thanks,
Jeff
Lifer #864
qgaex
Lifer
Donating Member #: 647

Post by qgaex »

Hi Jeff

That is classic BMW lore.
The old 2-valve airheads tend to smoke a little when parked on the side stand for any longer time.
That is from oil creeping into the left cylinder.

For the modern oilheads this rule doesn't apply any more.
(Probably with the better cooling the tolerances can be kept lower and the oil can't be bothered to creep in there.)

Cheers

qgaex
+myr12rneedsnooilbetweenservices+
papasong
Lifer

Post by papasong »

qgaex wrote:Hi Jeff

That is classic BMW lore.
The old 2-valve airheads tend to smoke a little when parked on the side stand for any longer time.
That is from oil creeping into the left cylinder.

For the modern oilheads this rule doesn't apply any more.
(Probably with the better cooling the tolerances can be kept lower and the oil can't be bothered to creep in there.)

Cheers

qgaex
+myr12rneedsnooilbetweenservices+
Cool. Thanks.
Lifer #864
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

I have a center stand and a side stand. I have used the center stand one or twice. I used the center stand over night once and as I write my bike is on the side stand. I consider taking the center stand off but have not explored the idea enough. What advantage is having a center stand. Changing the oil??

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I only use the centerstand for maintenance. If for some reason the bike is left unridden for weeks, it is on the sidestand. No problems.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
papasong
Lifer

Post by papasong »

My understanding is that the only accurate way to use the oil window to check the oil level is with the bike on the center stand.

After a good long ride, park the bike on the center stand, wait 5 minutes, and check the oil level in the window.
Lifer #864
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I'd wait more than 5 minutes. I give it more like an hour. It has tricked me before.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Just check it in the AM before leaving the garage.. that's the only time my R is on the centerstand.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

papasong wrote:My understanding is that the only accurate way to use the oil window to check the oil level is with the bike on the center stand.

After a good long ride, park the bike on the center stand, wait 5 minutes, and check the oil level in the window.
My understanding, too, from the owner's manual — page 95, Engine oil > Maintenance.
Bill
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

My bike is almost always on the side stand. My brother rode a CB900 custom for years and a CB750 before that. He always used the centerstand. He wound up replacing it once on the 750 and 2 or 3 times on the 900. It seems the constant stess on the center stand bracket broke it down over time. Obviously different bikes from these but I've always had a reluctance to over use the centerstand because of his experience.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
red baron
Lifer

Post by red baron »

Alone that the bike does not come with a centerstand would indicate that a centerstand is not needed. In my case I have a centerstand which makes it easier to check tire pressure, change tires, oil etc.
Peter