Lost in NH

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Lost in NH

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

Looks like a good road on the map. Dorcester sounds like a nice town.

It is a nice road, sorta...............but it ends here....sorta...........

MLW says 'no way.....'; 10 minutes later we're 2-uping up one of NH's byways.

Half an hour later I was thinking of Chitown's pictures thinking 'Am I really doing this?' The worst was a 20 foot stretch of loose sand where I almost lost it,........but didn't. Go to the top of the road and saw a closed gate going up, and a sign saying 'Use Private Way to Access Lake' or something similar. So after some regret of putting MLW in this situation and delaying our arrival to the hotel I start down the road that says 'Private Way'. Then a truck drives up from 'Private Way'. I say "Does this road go through to 118?" They laugh & say "Yeah, but you'll need a chainsaw, come-along & 4WD to get there, they stopped maintaining that part of the road 15-20 years ago." They talked to me for a while; convincing me that the best way out was the way I came in.

MLW wasn't keen on it & decided to walk down. Every 200-300 yards I'd stop & wait for her. I managed to get a picture on the way down; I had to look at the time stamp on the file becuase the picture looks like it's going uphill.

We made it all they down w/o incident, just had to go really slow.
When I looked at the map later I noticed a little gap just prior to Rt. 118; right next to the last 'r' in Dorcester.

Silly me............
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Re: Lost in NH

Post by takemeaway »

Sometimes it is nice to get lost. The scenery can't be beat. Glad you were safe AND had fun.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

hahaha. So where did you two end up for the night?
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

HI Express North Conway.
She's afraid of heights; but we made it up Mount Washington (& down).

Tonight it's Bar Harbor

DLS
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Oh - you two are still traveling?

Looks cold!!! I just finished a ride in 90 degrees at 8:30 pm tonight.

I've never been that far northeast in the US.. It looks wonderful. More photos if you can. I understand how hard it is to post a RR while you are riding, and afterwards, for that matter. Thanks. Would love to see that area for myself one day. Stay safe!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Post by takemeaway »

Impressive! Getting through all those twisties up Mount Washington is great. Did the LW keep her eyes closed? I've taken the Cog Railway up...haven't driven and am daunted by the thought of riding up them. But happy you did it and got to enjoy the view on a "relatively" clear day!