Tires and Tire pressure

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

beesumpa
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Tires and Tire pressure

Post by beesumpa »

I am sure all of you have seen this umpteen times - but I just got a Rockster - so brand new to this club.

I usually go and change all fluid just to be sure and move on from there to the Tires after RTFM (reading the fine manual) and now I am confused - Tire pressure - on the Frame a sticker Front 36 cold - Rear 42 cold. Under seat - 2.2 bar - 2.5 bar - The Manual Front 14.5 psi (never seen pressure like that on a bike) Rear 36psi. Has the original Metzlers on them with about 8000 miles.

What would this forum recommend as replacement Tires? I would like Tires that stick - Tire life not as important as mine.

Any suggestion and help is appreciated.
Peter
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Re: Tires and Tire pressure

Post by jfslater98 »

I've used Metzeler Z6s with sucess, as have others. But tire life is more important to me than in your case. You may want to look at the Metzeler M3 Sportecs. I would also recommend the Dunlops I'm using now, but they've stopped making them in the rear size. ST225s... I think? I have posted about them in this board farther down, if curious. Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

My current favourites are Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

I'm going to try Pirelli Angel STs next - they're supposed to be the current top of the "sport-touring" tyre tree. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
danstuart
Basic User

Post by danstuart »

2.2 bar - 2.5 bar is what I have used on the rockster for the last three years, use Pirelli Diablo Stradas, far prefer them to the BT020 I had before.
lionlady
Basic User

Post by lionlady »

beesumpa wrote:I am sure all of you have seen this umpteen times - but I just got a Rockster - so brand new to this club.

I usually go and change all fluid just to be sure and move on from there to the Tires after RTFM (reading the fine manual) and now I am confused - Tire pressure - on the Frame a sticker Front 36 cold - Rear 42 cold. Under seat - 2.2 bar - 2.5 bar - The Manual Front 14.5 psi (never seen pressure like that on a bike) Rear 36psi.
Pretty certain that the 14.5 psi is a type-O.
beesumpa wrote:Has the original Metzlers on them with about 8000 miles.

What would this forum recommend as replacement Tires? I would like Tires that stick - Tire life not as important as mine.
My Rockster came with Metzler M1s on it (the street/track tire). They were plenty sticky, but I only got about 3000 miles out of them. Probably because I do a lot of highway commuting. I replaced the M1s with Z6s and haven't used anything else, in 55,000 miles.
I love the Z6. Metzler has come out with a new variation of the Z6 that is sticky on the sides, and harder in the middle so they don't wear 'square' with highway miles.

P
ATGATT: Because it's better to walk away in disgust than ride away in an ambulance.
joe bar
Basic User

Post by joe bar »

riceburner wrote:My current favourites are Pirelli Diablo Stradas.
Had Metzler Z6's on previously, now have the Pirelli Diablo Strada's on the Rockster, and I agree, a great tyre, lots of feel and confidence in them, great in the wet as well. Currently have Michelin Pilot Power's on y Megamoto, with the 2CT on the rear, but good as they are, I much prefer the feel of the Pirelli's,particularly in the wet. Will be going the Pirelli route with the Megamoto, once these have worn out.
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Well. I put a new Z6 "interact" on the rear of my Rockster prior to my trip to Denver in August. LOVED them. Unfortunately, I picked up a nail right in the center, while parked in the under-condo garage at Keystone, CO. The "perfect" place for a plug/repair.

Two burly guys (being a woman has its perks) one from the Ducati tent and the other from the MIchelin tent, could not get a sticky string plug to work worth a darn. The tire held air, but the repair was obviously not going to hold up for my trip back home. The steel belts simply would not ream down well enough to keep them from cutting the plug. When I called the Denver BMW shop, they were less than helpful - they "might" be able to work me in late the following day.

So, I got a recommendation from a local, to a Denver shop - TFOG. They had a Z6 in stock, and would attempt a repair because of the location of the damage. AND he would fix the tire as soon as I could get there. Once the tire was off the rim, it was determined that the threads would destroy even an interior patch. He didn't have the "regular" Z6 but the touring type that is used on the BMW RTs, etc. I've been happy with that.

This is the second time I've had to "repair" a Metzler tire. And the second time that I was unsuccessful in doing so. Both times, the steel belting just seemed to destroy the plug. I suppose I should go to Metzler and find out what, if any suggestions they have for successful repair.

P
Hollywood
Basic User

Post by Hollywood »

So gents, lots of tire talk. Lets give up those pressures?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hollywood wrote:So gents, lots of tire talk. Lets give up those pressures?
36F, 42R.

(or whatever the tyre manufacturer recommends).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Just as recommended: 36 psig Front, 42 rear, cold tires.

I haven't found any reason to fiddle with tire pressures on the R1150R, unlike other bikes with better front end feel.
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

My current R runs Metzeler Roadtec Z6. They seem good in the handling department, and so far wearing OK.
On my previous R I used Michelin Pilot Road 2. Great tyre. If the Metzelers dont cut the mustard, I will go back to the Michelins.

I run 34-36f, 38-40r.
2002 R1150R.