Left side clicking noise

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Left side clicking noise

Post by hjsbmw »

I hear a precisely periodic clicking noise on the left side. It sounds very much like valve chatter. It did it when I got the bike, after my valve adjustment, and still does it after rechecking and readjusting the left side valves. I don't hear it when the engine idles but especially when blipping the throttle. It rises in volume and goes away in lockstep with the rpms. Not so sure during cruising speed, but my overly cautious owner mind suggests I might sometimes hear it there also.

I still suspect the valves, but since I redid them I am wondering if there could be other reasons (chain adjuster, injectors, piston pin,...). Get a stethoscope and look/listen everything over?

It is somewhat suspicious that I only hear it on the left side despite of using the same adjustment technique as for the right (if I go very close to the cylinder I can hear running noises on the right side also but it is a truly faint sound). BTW, I did synch the throttle cables with a Twinmax.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Re: Left side clicking noise

Post by gezerbike »

Could it be your throttle bodies clicking ? They do make some noise and since you have heard this since you purchased the bike, it very well might be that.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
hjsbmw
Lifer

Post by hjsbmw »

gezerbike wrote:Could it be your throttle bodies clicking ? They do make some noise and since you have heard this since you purchased the bike, it very well might be that.
Something along those lines is what I was thinking also. Would that fit my description? I haven't bought the bike new, so I can't know how it sounded out of the factory.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Did you do the rocker-arm endplay adjustment when you adjusted the valves? About everyone who has done this has found the engine amazingly quieter and smoother. Dealers just don't seem to bother doing it.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
hjsbmw
Lifer

Post by hjsbmw »

deilenberger wrote:Did you do the rocker-arm endplay adjustment when you adjusted the valves? About everyone who has done this has found the engine amazingly quieter and smoother. Dealers just don't seem to bother doing it.
Yes, I did that also. It was somewhere around 0.2mm, and I set it towards the low end of the range, around 0.08mm-0.1mm, where you hear a slight smacking sound (like playing with glue between your fingers) when moving the rockers up and down.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
myr1100r
Basic User

Post by myr1100r »

Hi,

Have you solve the problem? I currently had similar experience, but on the right engine, I heard the periodic sound at the throttle body, have adjusted the rocker arm & the valve gaps. Planning to open the engine soon again to check the valve guides, valve & valve seat ring.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

myr1100r wrote:Hi,

Have you solve the problem? I currently had similar experience, but on the right engine, I heard the periodic sound at the throttle body, have adjusted the rocker arm & the valve gaps. Planning to open the engine soon again to check the valve guides, valve & valve seat ring.
Hi ?? (names are good..)

That almost sounds like the noise high-mileage oilheads start making when the right side throttle-body shaft starts wearing.. (it wears because it doesn't have the Thottle-Position-Sensor supporting it, and the bushing on the outside wears away at the shaft making it oval - fix is a new shaft or a new TB..)

If the noise is only noticeable when starting the bike after it has sat for some time - and sounds like a rap-rap sort of noise, that is the timing chain bouncing a bit until the timing chain tensioner builds up oil pressure. It's one of "they all do that" sort of things (not quite all - but quite a few do..) One or two people reported replacement of the timing chain tensioner cured the problem.

I would be very surprised to hear of any problems with the valves/guides/seat - if there was, it would be the first I've heard of (and I'm fairly well plugged in on R12 motors..)
hjsbmw
Lifer

Post by hjsbmw »

What I used to hear at the left side is gone without any adjustments. In exchange it started on the right. It comes on after maybe 20 minutes of riding, will be audible for a mile and then just go away. It is not pinging or engine knock but a clearly mechanical sound. When it's there it doesn't make a difference if I accelerate under load, keep the throttle steady, or pull the clutch. It doesn't sound like rattling dice in the cylinder but it doesn't sound like it should be there either.
deilenberger wrote: That almost sounds like the noise high-mileage oilheads start making when the right side throttle-body shaft starts wearing
I can hear 'something' in the tbs with a stethoscope but it is not loud enough to be perceptible when cruising. My engine has 13k miles on it.
Last edited by hjsbmw on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
NakedRider
Basic User

Post by NakedRider »

deilenberger wrote:

Hi ?? (names are good..)
You always have great advice but be gentle. Check out where he's from. English is probably his second language.
BMW R1200R - White
hjsbmw
Lifer

Post by hjsbmw »

It might be worth a look at your valves again, provided we hear the same sound. I rechecked and re-tightened the right side. None of them was truly loose, but the feeler gauges' drag was not exactly the same on all four valves. This engine will always have some chatter, much more than a liquid cooled inline four, but the adjustment changed the sound. I think this engine is highly susceptible to minute nuances in the valve gaps.

I hope this works for you also. Best of luck.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
myr1100r
Basic User

Post by myr1100r »

Hi,

Yes English is my second language. BTW the name is Mohd.

Done the top overhaul, re-grind the valves, check the seats, and replace valve seal. Its 1995 R1100R, mileage is low, 21,000km when I perform the overhaul.

Once engine re-assembled, I run the engine without the spark plugs wires, just the see if there is any noise from left or right side of the engine, mechanical noise such as irregular noise of metal parts rattling. There is none.

Or the noise really can come from the throttle body? The opening of the throttle can oscillate or fixed as per opening by the throttle cable?
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

Wow. You rebuilt the top end to see if it would eliminate the clicking?

That's impressive.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

myr1100r wrote: Or the noise really can come from the throttle body? The opening of the throttle can oscillate or fixed as per opening by the throttle cable?
Hi Mohd!

The right throttle body can make noise when the shaft wears in the bushings it rotates in. The throttle plate will move with intake pulses and make a chattering noise. Changing the throttle-cable position doesn't change this much. The left side doesn't do this since the shaft is also supported by the throttle position switch assembly.
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

deilenberger wrote:Did you do the rocker-arm endplay adjustment when you adjusted the valves? About everyone who has done this has found the engine amazingly quieter and smoother. Dealers just don't seem to bother doing it.

Old thread resurrected.

I was experiencing clicking from my left side as well. Even after I adjusted the valves.

I just did the rocker arm adjustment and all is quiet. I'm happy.
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

My haynes does not tell me how to Adjust rocker end play, or I'm not seeing it. What is the procedure???? I hear the noise occasionally and after riding a ten year old Harley with a gaggle of miles I'm used to engine noise. Did I mention my roadster eats Harleys :badgrin:
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

I read the subject line of this thread too quickly and thought it said, "Left side chicken noise." I was going to ask if you'd been riding through farmland, and if you'd checked to see if there was anything stuck in your center stand. (I did find a dead bird there once).