Bike for a long adventure tour - KLR beats GS?

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Bike for a long adventure tour - KLR beats GS?

Post by Mollygrubber »

The wife & I are planning a pretty extensive tour, perhaps the Silk Road (Istanbul to Xian, China) in a couple of years.

I have been looking for a suitable mount, and for me the big GS's are too big (I'm a pretty small dude - not that short (5' 9", 32" inseam), but skinny.

The F800GS would probably be great, but I can get a KLR650 for ± $5000 less brand new. That would buy a lot of farkles! And shipping...

I don't want to sell my RR, hence the need for an inexpensive 2nd ADV bike.

Hmmm, maybe I should be asking this question on ADV now that I think of it...

But you guys are pretty smart! Any opinions?
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Bike for a long adventure tour - KLR beats GS?

Post by sweatmark »

ADV would be the place to start. Lots of opinions, but also lots of experience embodied in a few of those folks.

If I was pondering such a journey, then the following questions would top my list:
  • Two-up riding? Then how's the pillion and driver comfort for long-haul, long-hours travel days?
    How much stuff expecting to pack? What type of luggage/storage would be appropriate?
    What types of road conditions known on the intended route? What typical speeds?
    Availability of fuel? And in what grades/octane?
    Which type of mechanical spares should be packed? What kinds of repair/maintenance services can be found en route?
    Finally, what type of motorcycle will fulfill these critical requirements and meet budget?
So that's how I would approach the problem.

Good luck! Exciting adventure.
LostViking
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by LostViking »

Might want to take a look at the Kawasaki Versys. Hard to find anyone that doesn't like it.

ADV has a thread under Beasts.

Also here; http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/index.php

Hard to beat the KLR for such a trip.
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

The Versys looks really cool, I was in fact considering one before I bought my RR. I would be beating it pretty much to death on some of the unmaintained gravel roads, I think. The bikes for this trip must have: spoked wheels, lockable hard luggage, take crappy gas without too much fuss, belly pan... hmm, seems like a KLR would probably fit the bill with a bit of upgrading. I guess I'm thinking too much (as usual).
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

Buy a KLR and hit the road. In my humble adventures off the beaten path i've only seen V-Stroms, KLRs, and GSs. (then there's me on a R1200R and my wingman on a Triumph Bonneville)

Sounds like an awesome adventure!
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

Hard to beat a KLR, I know I own one too, go to www.advrider.com and you can read up on all the options til' the cows come home. Great ride reports there too.
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Well, the inmates above have posted some great comments and suggestions.

Provided that you are talking about Adventure Touring, and not true off-road adventuring, I would also recommend looking at:
  • Suzuki VStrom
    Honda Transalp
    Triumph Tiger
    BMW R1100GS
    BMW R1150GS (lowered seating and shocks - you may find some used in this set up)
KTMs will all ride pretty tall, so they are probably out.

I don't have much experience with the KLRs, but they seem pretty light for 2-up riding.
I felt like 2-up was alright on my old F650GS Dakar for short trips, but that was also without lots of luggage. In my experience, 2-up riding with lots of luggage really requires a heavier bike - one with the engine power and shocks to take the abuse of such weight on crappy roads.
Member #725