Starter Clean/Rebuild

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

egates
Basic User

Starter Clean/Rebuild

Post by egates »

I was checking out the FAQ on starter cleaning and its really going to be helpful as I rebuild mine.
I've posted pics previously of the pinion gear that needs to be replaced.
A new bmw starter seems to cost about $300 and the pinion alone is $134.
I found the complete starter for 189 and pinion for 50 at euromotoelectrics.com - anyone buy from them?
I'm stripping mine down and to get the pinion off you need to take off the pinion stop.
I don't have the shop manual yet - waiting for it to arrive - but one of my other projects is a 78 Vette and I was just browsing through the shop manual for that and saw the starter diagrams and was amazed at how similar they are to this starter.
The Vette starter also has a pinion stop made up of a retainer, snap ring and thrust collar.
That manual says to drive the retainer off the snap ring using a cylinder (whatever works) over the shaft.
I'm just curious about what the official method is.
Thanks.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Re: Starter Clean/Rebuild

Post by duckdave »

I got a starter from them a couple years ago, about the same price. Works like a charm. Call them---the guy that answers is the owner and he is very knowledgeable. He'll help you and make sure you get what you need.
-d.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Starter Clean/Rebuild

Post by MikeCam »

You are on the correct path. Try this link: http://www.largiader.com/tech/valeo/ and the links he provides. Wealth of good info.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.