Oil Consumption

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Red1150R
Basic User

Re: Oil Consumption

Post by Red1150R »

OK guys/girls, the past few days we experienced great weather on Southern Ontario, I was able to log about 400 km while purposely spinning the engine at higher RPM's. Guess what the result was? .......slightly better gas mileage & No noticeable Oil consumption! I followed the advice on resting the bike on it's side stand for 5 minutes after a ride, then put the bike on it's centre stand to check oil level. Oil level seems stable now. Looks like I was not spinning this boxer engine enough for the rings to seat properly. Thanks again for all your advice.
Ride safe!
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

SPAMMER :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
2004 R1150RS
Karmøy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Place the bike on the........

Post by Karmøy »

Senter stand when you have ridden the heck out of it..... :lol:

Hhehehe.....No seriuse,every time you park the bike use the senter stand. [-X

This will get the oil down to the bottom of the engine,and will not stop on the left side of the engine head...

ITS WORK FOR ME...........My oil consumtion have gone down after i start doing this....
Pain is temporary,Glory is forever.
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Some things never change... I haven't posted here in a long time, but even years ago this was a popular topic. One thing worthwhile to check is your filler cap, you can lose a surprising amount of oil there. You would think if that were true then you'd see some evidence, like a stain on your pants leg, but apparently it gets past the o-ring mostly in the form of a vapor and you don't notice it unless you wear the same thing for days- like I eventually did on a trip up north while I was wearing my 'Stich. Stopped at a dealer in Oregon and bought a new plastic cap and o-ring, cut the oil consumption to nothing. Those fancy locking caps are the worst, the oil finds it's way through the locking mechanism very well!
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

AirForceDirt wrote:I check the oil level cold after its been sitting overnight, usually first thing in the morning.

I usually keep the oil level in the upper half of the window, but not over the top of the outer red circle.

no compression or leak checks, but it doesn't drip and the bottom of the entire bike is spotless (except dust). Only spot that ever shows any oil is the filler cap, and the area around it (like its coming out the top, but not enough I don't think).

I bought the bike from my parents with 19k on it, they bought it new.

I ride it mostly back and forth to work (short commute) but when I get it out on the weekends, I ride the wheels off it.
check the oil HOT. (5-10 mins after a long ride).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life