BB7 Harriman, Tennessee

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

STDocLizard1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

BB7 Harriman, Tennessee

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Marty2 and I headed down through the rain on Wednesday with the temperature at my nest holding at 45 degrees upon departure. We rolled southbound on Interstate 81, and as the temperature started to rise, some clouds were looking very ominous in the distance. It rained into Virginia where we caught cut some ZZZ's in Troutville. Buckster met us in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn at eight the next morning where we attempted to do a little Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately, the entrance was blocked off due to construction and we had to return to the Super Slab. Over lunch, we selected a more scenic, circuitous route to take us into Harriman.

We arrived at the Best Western, checked in, caught up with everyone in attendance, and shared a beer(Thanks Steve). Dinner at Ruby Tuesdays was just fine with me after two days on the road. The topic of discussion for the next few hours centered around possible routes. I brought an older edition of MadMaps/Smokey Mountains to set up an itinerary for the next two days.

CycleRob and I headed for the Devil's Triangle and Witch's Knuckle on Friday. I have known Rob for over 15 years and he and I are perfect roommates since neither of us like to rise early. Tn 328 out of Harriman was a hoot to ride and Tn 116 was no slouch either. I let Robby take the point in the twisties, so I would not be holding him up. The dump truck traffic on 116 was quite heavy, but traveling in the opposite direction. The CB was full of chatter from the truck drivers to be on the lookout for two motorcycles heading their way. Lunch at the Sonic Drive-in and a pass up through Kentucky left us on the Witch's Knuckle(Ky 190) and then down through the Cumberland Tunnel on 25E. We rode the lower half of the Triangle back to Oliver Springs and then down on TN 61 into town. We arrived at the Motel just prior to the heavens opening up in a deluge of water. Dinner at Pizza Hut completed our day while most everyone else opted for a South of the Border Cuisine.

The next day was an encore of sleep late, grab some chow, and head on out to the Cumberland Plateau. Robby and I were joined by Daryl and Gabriella on their GS. Our mission was to catch some good roads and secure some tasty barbecue in the Volunteer State. Thank you Buddy's Barbecue. The trip back was uneventful except that the sky was turning a nasty gray color with some electrical activity. We made a beeline to the Motel on I 40 and just beat the incoming storm. Dinner at Ruby Tuesdays with the Saturday night gathering in the Motel breakfast room gave everyone a great feeling of closure for BB7. Thanks to the people who donated door prizes. Everybody went home with something. Nice job on being the MC there Vann, and thanks to Phil for making up the official shirts. Robby bugged out just before midnight to beat the incoming storm so I had the room to myself for the last evening in Harriman.

Marty, Buckster, and I departed the next morning and headed home without incident although we got wet on the last day. I returned home with 2004 miles on the clock and couldn't believe how fast the six days went. Thanks to the Bash Master/s who put this together in a great area for riding. Meeting old friends and being introduced to new ones makes the trip worthwhile. This being my fourth Bash in as many years, I look forward to the next.

Best to all,

Doc
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: BB7 Harriman, Tennessee

Post by MikeCam »

I am sorry to have missed you this year, Doc. But remarks by others suggest you have accepted the mantle of BB8 Master! Perhaps you and HealthyDoc have a special something for us?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

MikeCam wrote:I am sorry to have missed you this year, Doc. But remarks by others suggest you have accepted the mantle of BB8 Master! Perhaps you and HealthyDoc have a special something for us?
Do I need to request an audience before the Executive Council?

Doc
Marty2
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 492

Post by Marty2 »

It was good to see familiar faces from previous Bashes as well as the new faces that were there.
Doc and I rode together to and from the Bash as he stated in his post.
Fridays ride was well chronicled by John (Dr Strangelove).

Look Out on the Skyway we stopped at to let the 18 wheeler and Porsches clear our path .

The Tree of Shame

Kristi and Artie waiting patently for me to finish taking pics

Dr. Strangelove, Artie & OU812 chilling in the shade

It wouldn't be a Bash without some rain

Saturday Buckster and I headed North on 328 then on to 116. After meeting the local pictured below we headed down to Lenoir for some BBQ

A local that stopped by to check out our BMWs

Lunch location

Outstanding Blackberry Buckle after the BBQ. Should have tried it Thad

After lunch we rode to the Local BMW dealer.

It was a great time... as usual and looking forward to next years already.

Marty
# 492
2013 Wee Strom
There is a thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I made it home today! 2896 miles total. I probably could have made it home yesterday but the rain on Sunday cut me to half a day and the Natchez Trace with all those pull outs to view and the speed limit to obey......... well, it delayed me by a few hours so I left Alexandria, LA this a.m. and made it home to Houston around 2. Only a couple of incidents on the way home had me worried for a few moments, but all turned out fine. I'll write about it one day.

Nice photos Marty. I don't think I even remember you taking photos. It was great fun following you through TN and NC. You're a good leader.

Doc, I'm sure glad I finally got to meet you. Thanks for trying to get me out of a jam with the point and shoot, and thanks for the push off Sunday a.m.

I was sad to see the Bash end and I wish I could have spent more time riding and visiting with everyone. I'll put some photos up tomorrow, I think.
Last edited by GypsyRR on Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

GypsyRR wrote:I made it home today! 2896 miles total. I probably could have made it home yesterday but the rain on Sunday cut me to half a day and the Natchez Trace with all those pull outs to view and the speed limit to obey......... well, it delayed me by a few hours so I left Alexandria, LA this a.m. and made it home to Houston around 2. Only a couple of incidents on the way home had me worried for a few moments, but all turned out fine. I'll write about it one day.

Nice photos Marty. I don't think I even remember you taking photos. It was great fun following you through TN and NC. You're a good leader.

Doc, I'm sure glad I finally got to meet you. Thanks for trying to get me out of a jam with the point and shoot, and thanks for the push off Sunday a.m.

I was sad to see the Bash end and I wish I could have spent more time riding and visiting with everyone. I'll put some photos up tomorrow, I think.

It was pleasure to meet the "Lady behind the Lens."

I'm glad you made it home safely.

Till we meet again; Ride Hard & Live Free.

Doc
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I only had a few photos of Bash happenings. The others are from my ride to/from and I'll save them for another time. But here is a link to some photos.
http://2ksconcepts.smugmug.com/Travel/T ... 7305_yPeHk

And if interested, here is the basic route I took to get there and home again. I used the SPOT coordinates, and SPOT wasn't working part of the time, so some of the detours and diversions are not recorded. Nor are any of the roads that I took while in Harriman recorded. But it gives a basic view of the general route. http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php?trip_id=627320
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Very nice photos and the map thing is very cool.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)