What will fit me best?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

D Klaw
Basic User

What will fit me best?

Post by D Klaw »

Old cyclist. 'bout 5'6" 150 lbs. short legs 29". Back less than perfect.
I've owned ~ 14 bikes, none since the 80's. Last BMW was a R69S, great bike, sold it to buy house in 68. Sat on that ride once for 17 and 1/2 hrs and could not imagine doing that on anything else, (also snaped the left cylinder off that bike).
Worked for Stan Myers above Doylestown PA in the 60's, BTW, the old biker is 87 and still racing.
Wife of 43 years went home in March and getting the itch.
What do you riders with experience on todays models recomend? Got to be <$9K.
Thanks for your advice,
D Klaw
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: What will fit me best?

Post by boxermania »

Might want to try out a 2004 or newer BMW R1150R with the low seat, however, it looks to me that you would be happier with a more recent vintage F650 or F800 as they are lighter and far more manageable (both are twins with the same displacement) the 650 is detuned. Check the forum on this site, look for CycleRob, Boxer and Touchton
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

I'm an old cyclist and just a tad taller than you: 5'8", 30" inseam, and was recently in the same boat as you. The R1150R fits me quite well but you might be happier on an R1100R. It's got a bit narrower seat which is adjustable in height (i.e., you won't have to purchase a low saddle for an extra $150.). Really good design, that set. I'd have bought one but found the R1150R closer to my house. I really liked the feel of the 1100 though and IMHO it might be more comfortable for a shorter person. Either way you can't go wrong but make sure you get a 1998 or later 1100 as there were some tranny issues in prior models. I'd also recommend holding out for ABS and heated grips (if you live in an area that gets cool.) Good luck and keep us posted.

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
jetjoc1
Basic User

Post by jetjoc1 »

I currently have a mid height seat but still too low. looking for possible trade for high seat?
9781599690407 part number for high seat

thanks

2002 r1150r
J Geisen
Lifer

Post by J Geisen »

I think the R1150R is almost a perfect bike is there is such a thing. I think age, strength, and height is definitely a factor in finding your best fit.

I'm new to BMW's, recently purchasing an '04 R1150R. I'm 64 years old, 155lbs, 5'7" with 28" inch inseam. I've struggled with the weight of this bike and being able to control it when I'm not riding. Just moving it around seems to be a struggle. Once, I'm on the road everything goes very well. I can get my heals on the ground at a light or stop but have to be very careful to keep the bike "centered".

I've thought a lot about a lower seat as the one I have is standard, but I'm not sure a lower seat would help as much as working out to build some muscle.

John G.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Negotiating the weight of a R1150R on uneven surfaces takes some getting used to for <30 inch inseams.
There are some stop signs on inclines that still make me apprehensive after 6 years on it. (The one exiting the Finger Lakes rally campground is one.)

Once we abandon the thinner R1150R stock seat to save our butts, the more comfortable seat choices happen to be wider seats which makes short legs reach farther to the ground.

If you are decades removed from riding, the F650 could be worth taking a look at. (I know, I'm supposed to trumpet the R1150R).

Light weight, low seat, great mileage, lots of fun, 4-8k depending on year....

I used to get a F650CS as a loaner from my old dealer, and it was a blast to ride.
It's the only BMW motorcycle I can flat foot. (Inseam 29").
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
RDGRNR
Basic User

a shmokin deal (R1200R)

Post by RDGRNR »

i ride an r1150r and have no vested interest in this, but this sure looks like a deal to me.... (a bit lighter than our 1150's too)
http://www.nationalpowersports.net/item ... temID=5361
oh, and this r1150r looks pretty nice too...
http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/sho ... php?t=1708
psych
Basic User

Post by psych »

I have a factory low seat plus passenger seat off my 2002 r1150r, replaced with a sargent, so if anyone is interested.....
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I would second the recommendations of the current or recent models of the F650 if you are just coming back into riding and are 'vertically challenged'. I love my R1150R still but moved to it from a GS for the very reasons of seat height making stopping the beast an adventure. While rolling, it was a wonderful ride but I dropped that thing more in 18 months than my previous ride in 16 years!

Also, the newer F650s even have a lower frame and seat for shorter riders. Makes a lot of difference.

The used market for those (check out the IBMWR.org site for classifieds) should find you something in your price range.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

OK, I know this is the Roadster forum but given that the non-R bike suggestion taboo has already been broken, I'm going to take that as a license to expand things further.

In my opinion, the Suzuki DL or SV650 are worth looking into. They share the same V-twin engine but have different frames. The DL is ostensibly a dual-sport and the engine is slightly detuned from that of the SV, but in reality it's a very nice middleweight sport touring bike with limited off-road capability (sounds a bit like an R-GS comarison. . .). The stock bike is a bit tall but that is easily and inexpensively remedied with lowering links. The SV is lower as it comes from the factory but since it is a bit sportier, is actually not as good a long-distance machine as the DL which has both a more upright riding position and decent factory wind protection. At 5' 7" with a 28" inseam, I needed to lower the bike a bit (3/8" in my case but the the links can be purchased in various lengths to about 1-1/2" lower). While neither the suspension nor the brakes on the DL are quite in the same class as the R1150R, the bike is fun to ride, handles pretty well and can more than hold its own when the road gets twisty.

Not trying to steer anyone away from the R1150R, which is a truly great all-around bike. I purchased my DL as a second ride while my R1150R was laid up but after a few thousand miles on the DL, I have to say that it too is a great all-around machine. By way of comparison, the BMW gets the nod in terms of brakes and suspension (and hence handling), the engine HP and torque are a essentially a wash between the 2 as is riding comfort. You also have to deal with chain drive on the Suzuki which on the one hand is a maintenance PITA but on the other is lot less costly to repair/replace. Also on the plus side, the Suzuki is quite a bit less expensive, has a much wider - and cheaper range - of available farkles, gets better milage and is probably a bit more robust.

Just throwin' things out there . . .

D Klaw - you mention Doylestown in your post. If you're in the Phila area, you're welcome swing by to ride my DL. Depending on the timing, I may even have my R1150R running for a side by side comparison. PM me if interested.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
jrsndman
Lifer
Donating Member #: 720

Post by jrsndman »

challey wrote: D Klaw - you mention Doylestown in your post. If you're in the Phila area, you're welcome swing by to ride my DL. Depending on the timing, I may even have my R1150R running for a side by side comparison. PM me if interested.

Charlie
Before I even read Charlie's post I was thinking the same thing. I'm in Abington and have a '02 R1150R with a low seat. You're to come by and see how it fits.

Jim
Jim
2008 K1200GT
2002 R1150R (Black)
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Lifer # 720
D Klaw
Basic User

Post by D Klaw »

Hi Y'all,
Passed thru your area, "the old stomping grounds" in mid July, saw people that I had not seen for 43 years.
Stan Myers lives up North East PA now, the old rascal just turned 87 and was racing this year. His son workes at Hermies and is a top BMW mechanic.
I've had 14 bikes so far, none since the mid 80's and things do change equipment wise. Must admit, a "Boxer" or nothing is in this old head. Sold my last Beemer, an R69S, in the 60's to buy my child bride our first house.
My sweet heart, had a weak heart and last March she left for a home where she is probably learning to play a harp now.
One of my old customers, has an R1150R and hes about my size, probably going to see what the fit is like on his wheels.
The internet has changed a lot of the way bikers help each other and it sure is for the better. I really appreciate the advice and welcome you give.
I've got a small pack of dogs and only get away when my wife's cousin comes here from the Phila area and takes care of the dogs and house. After my lover died, I drove to Texas to see son of mine. In July it was North Jersey, Marblehead MA, NE PA, West point PA, and Shippensburg PA before the drive home to Huntingdon PA.
Will have to take it with caution and want to be able to make trips like I did this year, but instead of my little 02 Cougar, a BMW. Sat on the R69s 17 and a half hours straight in 63, but not looking to top that.
Thanks for the advice.
D Klaw
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I really like the Suzuki's that Challey mentioned. My wife was upgrading her bike last year (she is 5'5" and pretty short legged) and I wanted her to look at those Suzuki's. We went to the dealer for her to sit on them. She found the seat way too tall on the DL and SV. Suzuki put that same motor in a third model called the Gladius. The Gladius fit her best, it has the lowest seat. It's got some funky stying, but basically a standard bike in a standard seating position. That would have been our choice, but we were looking for a used bike.

She ended up getting a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Don't let the "Ninja" scare you away from looking at that bike. It is nothing like the ZX6R... the 600cc, 4 cylinder, super sport bike. The 650 is a nice modern parallel twin. The same engine as in the Kawasaki Versys. The 650 has a standard seating positiong, (nice comfortable handlebar bars) and you don't lean forward at all, with a low and narrow seat. It is very light! I enjoy riding it... a ton of fun. It feels so quick and light compared to my BMW R1150R. A suspension upgrade would be a good idea before taking long tours.

I am very sorry to hear about your wife...
Good luck on the bike hunt...
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
TonyT47
Basic User

Post by TonyT47 »

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm 6' 4" with a 34 inseam and I'm wondering if an R1150R with standard seat is going to be comfortable.
I did ride an 1150R a few years ago, enjoyed it and I'm looking for a less complicated modern Beemer to join my '77 RS in the garage.
I do plan on putting on plenty of miles.
Cheers,
Tony