Winter Riding Gloves

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MoonBeemer
Basic User

Winter Riding Gloves

Post by MoonBeemer »

I plan to commute most of the winter. Any suggestions on gloves with good protection, and not so bulky that I cant feel the controls? Thanks Roger
2004 R1150R
ASQTec
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Winter Riding Gloves

Post by ASQTec »

I don't usually ride when it's below 45 degrees, or when the roads are salted. These have worked well for me.

Scroll down a bit.
http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopprod ... _Black.htm
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

x2 on the Deer tours. Bought last year...and they are so comfortable. Movement is great as well. Kind of pricey though.
Buckster '03R
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I don't suppose the Deer Tours are waterproof?
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
AndyRR
Lifer

Post by AndyRR »

Not sure where you live so I don't know how cold you're talking about.
But - Gerbings, Gerbings, Gerbings.

I set out to just get the gloves but the wiring is a PITA without the jacket, so I got both. Pricey, but worth it if you do much cold weather riding.
ASQTec
Double Lifer

Post by ASQTec »

Xdot wrote:I don't suppose the Deer Tours are waterproof?
No chance. Just ask any deer.

DeerTours are comfy, durable, warm (above freezing), and offer great dexterity. Waterproof is a whole 'nother topic. I use ski gloves when I absolutely must ride in cold, wet weather.
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

I agree with AndyRR...heated Gerbings is the only way to go. I use them along with GS hand guards and even heated grips if I really need the the heat. My fingers are always toasty warm.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Check out the RevIt Zenith H2O gloves (revzilla.com $109).

Just rode with them in Utah Colorado AZ and NM in some pretty cool weather, I am sure below 45. They were pretty good for that with the grips turned on.

Nice dexterity and nice feel.

But look into overgloves in addition. They are IMpermeable to water and add a layer for warmth.
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Ski gloves, besides being somewhat inexpensive (~$45), are the next best thing to heated gloves. They may not provide a high level of road abrasion protection that M/C specific gloves do. They are made so the empty glove is already shaped in a "grabbing a ski pole" form. That makes them very friendly to hang onto the handlebar grips with zero effort. No bunching up of the inside-the-grip material. They are designed for spending hours in the cold wind.

On the rare occasions I go out for a near freezing ride (I'm retired!) I will use my decades old ski gloves that I bought just for cold weather M/C riding.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
jcridge
Lifer
Donating Member #: 876

Post by jcridge »

I'm with AndyRR, the Gerbings are very nice when used in conjunction with a heated jacket liner. The key is a dual heat controller. The G3's do not offer much in the way of armor, but they are good leather, same as the Stitch gloves but with electric heat. You will need to waterproof them with an off the shelf paste, but they work well once you do. When it gets in the single digits on my 60 mile daily day commute in the winter, the heated grips, GS protectors and the G3's make it a pleasurable trip. People look at you funny when you walk in with ice built-up from your knuckles to your shoulders.

John
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

It finally cooled of here again this morning (41deg) so I got to try out my new Cortech Scarab Winter gloves. All in all I'm quite pleased with them for a sub-$100 glove. They are reasonably supple and will probably loosen up a little after a few rides. They have a nice gauntlet that fits over my jacket sleeve cuff. The armor seems good without being heavy. Most importantly, they kept my hands warm on a 25 minute ride in this morning. I was riding with the heated grips on high but without GS handguards and I could feel the warmth coming through. I rode with standard gloves a few weeks ago in similar conditions and my hands FROZE, even with the heated grips on. Decent gloves for the money.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
gsmonkey
Basic User

Post by gsmonkey »

Try fixing some GS handguards. Then use Tucano Urbano r319 muffs which fit over the whole lot. You can ride around in your summer gloves all day then.
ASQTec
Double Lifer

Post by ASQTec »

I found that just adding the GS handguards, even with the upper extension, will let your hands stay warmer for only about 5 minutes longer than if you didn't have the guards. The only reason why I've kept them on for 6 years is that they help a little on the 2 days per year I get caught in the rain.

+1 on the Tucano Urbano r319's. I rented a GS a few years ago that came equipped with these. There's nothing like them for cold weather. There not cheap, if you can still find them.
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
djskriff
Lifer

Post by djskriff »

I live in Charleston, SC so take my review at face value if cold means single digits to you :biggrin: . I picked up a pair of Frank Thomas Fury Sport Leather Gloves at Cycle Gear to complement my summer riding gloves and put them to the test this AM (an unseasonably cold 36 deg. F). Had the handlegrip warmers on high and my fingers were toasty for the whole commute to work (~15 min).

Everything else was chilly after the short ride but my hands and feet, so I give these gloves two thumbs up!
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

I totally agree ASQTec, for me the handguards have done little to help keep hands warm. I have whimpy hands, but in my experience with my Fieldsheer Eskimo gloves (100gm thinsulate) and grip warmers on hi, temps from 38-30, my thumbs and finger tips are cold in 45min. Above 40 my hands are generally fine but after an hour still get coldish esp if I dont wiggle the fingers regularly to keep up blood flow. I agree with others if you have to ride for beyond 45min and below 40 temps, heated gloves and heated grips are the best way to go.

by ASQTec » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I found that just adding the GS handguards, even with the upper extension, will let your hands stay warmer for only about 5 minutes longer than if you didn't have the guards.
Last edited by BMWEW1 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I picked up a pair of discounted BMW Winter Gloves at a dealer open house years ago.
They are so well made and warm, I wear them everywhere in the winter.
They are still in fantastic shape.

Here is a review of winter gloves.
Since I got the BMW gloves for $65 instead of $120, the gripe this reviewer had about price became moot.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/access ... index.html
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

Been wearing the Cortech Scarab for a couple of weeks now. Verdict - don't like 'em. Fingers are too stiff and seem to be getting stiffer. Control feel is virtually non-existent. Maybe it is just my tiny hands. Oh well, last time I buy anything from a CycleGear. Selection was limited. Everything was overpriced. Only went there because I had a 20% off coupon which lowered the price to internet.

Funny how you have to buy the wrong thing to know what to look for in the right thing. I guess most of life is that way.

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

ASQTec wrote:I don't usually ride when it's below 45 degrees, or when the roads are salted. These have worked well for me.

Scroll down a bit.
http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopprod ... _Black.htm
After considering as much information as possible, I decided that the most important feature of riding was the human interface with the bike. THAT must be as optimal as possible. Where do you interface? Hands, feet, butt. Can't do a lot about the butt. Feet seem okay, right now. Hands feel like I'm squeezing two bars wrapped in a pillow.

Ordered my Lee Parks yesterday.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I think you will be happy with them. They are nice and soft. I love mine! I also put some rubber extenders on top of my GS hand guards and that helped a lot too.
Buckster '03R
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

My Lee Parks, Deer Tours PCi arrived the other day. They were insanely expensive for gloves but I have to say, they are like no gloves I've ever owned for any purpose and significantly improve the cool weather riding experience. Put about 30 miles on the bike this morning running some errands, temps in low '50 starting, mid '60s getting home. Hands never felt hot, never felt cold. Feel on grips was excellent. Hands never got tired. Very little breaking in will be required. I just won't be upgrading my jacket or pants any time soon. Maybe get a new pair of ear plugs...

Highly recommend.

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster