On board computer for the R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

pacol
Basic User

On board computer for the R1150R

Post by pacol »

Hello from Spain, this is my first post in this forum.

First of all sorry for my poor english, I´m working on it :D .

I´m developing an on board computer for my R1150R. At this time it works very well and shows velocity, fuel consumption, oil and air intake temperature, fuel autonomy, distance... and records a trip log in a SD card that may be viewed in an excel spreadsheet.

The project is based on the Arduino platform. The software and manual is here:

http://cid-6ad42ddb4c344a5b.office.live ... MWR%5E_OBC

It has a problem, the manual is written in Spanish 8)

I need someone that translates it to english and maybe install it in his bike :lol: and help me to improve the project.

Thanks

Paco
R1150R 2002 + OBC 1.0.3
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: On board computer for the R1150R

Post by boxermania »

Paco, yo hago traduciones tecnicas y te puedo ayudar. Ya no tengo la moto, pero tengo amigos en este forum que pueden instalar tu "hardware" en sus motos para validar su operacion. Por cierto que no pude abrir ni el manual ni la software.

Cual es tu interes, producir y vender este proyecto?

Adolfo

Translation for my English speaking friends....I translate technical mnuals from Spanish to English and could help you. I no longer have the bike to try it on, but can find some friends in this forum that might want to do some Beta testing. Is this business venture or just a project?
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
pacol
Basic User

Post by pacol »

boxermania wrote:Paco, yo hago traduciones tecnicas y te puedo ayudar. Ya no tengo la moto, pero tengo amigos en este forum que pueden instalar tu "hardware" en sus motos para validar su operacion. Por cierto que no pude abrir ni el manual ni la software.

Cual es tu interes, producir y vender este proyecto?

Adolfo

Translation for my English speaking friends....I translate technical mnuals from Spanish to English and could help you. I no longer have the bike to try it on, but can find some friends in this forum that might want to do some Beta testing. Is this business venture or just a project?
It´s just a project. I have no business interest on it.

The link to the manual is:

http://cid-6ad42ddb4c344a5b.office.live ... MWR%5E_OBC

I think the link works perfect
Last edited by pacol on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1150R 2002 + OBC 1.0.3
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

The project is based on the Arduino platform.
Nice. That's quite a capable development platform.

How are you sourcing the inputs? Injector signals? On-board diagnostics plug like the GS-911?

You reminded me: I have a little PICAXE project that needs some free time.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
pacol
Basic User

Post by pacol »

sweatmark wrote:
The project is based on the Arduino platform.
Nice. That's quite a capable development platform.

How are you sourcing the inputs? Injector signals? On-board diagnostics plug like the GS-911?

You reminded me: I have a little PICAXE project that needs some free time.
I,ve used the injector signal to measure fuel consumption and a single induction sensor on the front wheel to measure velocity. For the RPM I´ve used the ignition coil signal from the ECU (tachometer) It´s well described in the manual.

Have you information of the method to access to the ECU via on-board diganostic plug?

Tell me about your PICAXE project.

Thanks
R1150R 2002 + OBC 1.0.3
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Have you information of the method to access to the ECU via on-board diganostic plug?
Sorry, I do not have info about the on-board plug's data transfer protocol. The GS-911 device transfers ECU data in real time, so that would suggest the plug's data stream could be used (and useful) for on-board computer project.

http://www.gs911usa.com/index.php
http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/
Take a look at all the realtime data from an R1200 bike!
Tell me about your PICAXE project.
Doing a PIC application has been on my "to do" list for several years. I recently purchased the programming interface, mini proto board, and a few PICAXE-08M chips. Love the simplicity (with limitations) of this cheap little controller!

My initial project idea was speedometer input signal processing for Integrated ABS bikes with ABS servo unit removed. The -08M offers a continuous PWM output that could be post-processed using n-bit counter chip to yield required low Hz speedo input, with pulse duration measurement (from wheel speed sensor) as input. I wrote the simple BASIC code, but have subsequently found easier ways to get the required speedo signal.

The current project options for the PICAXE are (1) Cruise (speed) Control, or (2) automatic throttle advance (choke) with engine/ambient temperature display . The PICAXE chip series has a "SERVO" command that offers simple control of an RC servo motor via PWM. My project goal for option (1) would be bike speed control using Hall sensor wheel input, a simplified PID-type feedback loop algorithm, and physical connection to Bowden cable box via some type of friction drive. For option (2), a thermistor would provide engine oil temp, to be used for servo connected to the throttle advance cable, with serial output from PICAXE to drive an LCD display replacing my Rockster's clock.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
pacol
Basic User

Post by pacol »

sweatmark wrote: ....
The current project options for the PICAXE are (1) Cruise (speed) Control, or (2) automatic throttle advance (choke) with engine/ambient temperature display . The PICAXE chip series has a "SERVO" command that offers simple control of an RC servo motor via PWM. My project goal for option (1) would be bike speed control using Hall sensor wheel input, a simplified PID-type feedback loop algorithm, and physical connection to Bowden cable box via some type of friction drive. For option (2), a thermistor would provide engine oil temp, to be used for servo connected to the throttle advance cable, with serial output from PICAXE to drive an LCD display replacing my Rockster's clock.
Your crusie control is very interesting!

I´m been taking a look at the PICAXE microcontrollers and it seems very interesting and easy to program in BASIC. I have not ever developed projects for PICAXE microcontrollers but I think they have no enough memory resources to run your speed control project. I don´t know exactly. The Arduino seems better :D but needs to be programmed in C++

An accurate measure of the angular velocity is achieved with a microseconds clock integrated in the Arduino (Atmel) chip
(I use this method in my OBC project). It can also output a PWM signal to the servo. You can integrate the two projects in a single application.

What kind of servomotor are you using?

I have a lathe and a milling machine that would allow me to build the hardware.

Sorry again for my poor english. I express myself with difficulty.

Paco

Last bumped by pacol on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 am.
R1150R 2002 + OBC 1.0.3