Grips

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Grips

Post by dbrick »

The stockers seemed small, so I tried some Grip Puppies. They were bigger, but I've found they're slipprier, too: I have to reset my throttle hand every minute or so. The result (tighter grip and less security) is not as good as stock. It's actually easier to use the smaller stock grip because of its greater...well...grip.

Any options to replace the grips with larger rubber (or rubber-like) ones?
Last edited by dbrick on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Grips

Post by websterize »

dbrick wrote:Any options to replace the grips with larger rubber (or rubber-like) ones?
I've been meaning to try these: http://beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html
Bill
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

websterize wrote:
dbrick wrote:Any options to replace the grips with larger rubber (or rubber-like) ones?
I've been meaning to try these: http://beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html
I haven't had the Beemerboneyard ones in hand, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they're Grip Puppies: same shape, size, and small price.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I've used the Beemerboneyard ones for the past 40,000 miles. I've never had them slip.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

I've got the Grip Puppies on mine and slippage has not been an issue.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

My Puppies don't slip either. They did once when I screwed up and squirted straight detergent into them to install them rather than detergent and water.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

I'm not talking about the Puppies rotating around the grip; they don't do that. I'm finding that it takes a tighter grip than I'm used to or want to employ to keep the throttle open. That is, the glove/Grip Puppy interface has less friction than the glove/original grip does.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
lewellen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 635

Post by lewellen »

dbrick wrote:I'm not talking about the Puppies rotating around the grip; they don't do that. I'm finding that it takes a tighter grip than I'm used to or want to employ to keep the throttle open. That is, the glove/Grip Puppy interface has less friction than the glove/original grip does.
The Grip Puppies do significantly increase the grip's diameter. All else being equal, that will make them harder to hang on to ... or at least that's what I found the case to be.

In years and on bikes past, I've been a huge fan of Pro Grips. They held up extremely well, were very "tacky" without being sticky (kind of like the pads you can put on your car's dash to keep your GPS from sliding).

However ... my R12R has heated grips, so removing the stock grips seemed like a non-starter.

Good roads,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
gezerbike
Basic User

Post by gezerbike »

I've also got a Throttle Rocker installed as well as the Grip Puppies thingie. Got one on my GS as well. I like those things alot.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

Ahh, I see. I use Grip Puppies and a Cramp Buster.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

I agree a Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster would be sometimes useful - there have been times I've wanted one. But I want things to be comfy from moment one on. I ordered these to try first: http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_f ... ge1340.htm
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

And maybe it isn't the grips at all. In a 2008 thread, Bill Stevenson wrote:

Numb hands can come from a lot of things and we are all different. Make sure you are sitting in a neutral position on the saddle. By that I mean that without even thinking about it, you sit, stay in one place, and are not sliding forward or backward. If you are constantly having to push back in the seat, your hands will go numb. If you are constantly having to pull yourself forward, your sitz (I am trying to be polite here ;-) ) will go numb too. Neutral seating is one of the least understood areas of motorcycle ergonomics. People change handlebar height, use different grips, or gloves etc., but the real problem often is the saddle. BMW does not know how to make a good saddle in my opinion. For those of you who are also serious bicyclists you will know immediately what I am talking about because on a bicycle we adjust the saddle nose up or down to achieve a neutral seating position for our normal riding position on the bike (Note that this is closely linked to handlebar height and both should be sorted out together). For those of you who have not considered this aspect of bike setup, you could probably benefit if you heed this advice.

My numb hand problem went away with a Bill Mayer Saddle.

Bill

Well...I do slide forward, and a custom seat was already on my agenda. Perhaps it'll make further grip fiddling unnecessary.
Last edited by dbrick on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

dbrick wrote:I agree a Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster would be sometimes useful - there have been times I've wanted one. But I want things to be comfy from moment one on. I ordered these to try first: http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_f ... ge1340.htm
Wow $15.00 for a bag of O rings! I think you could have gone to the auto parts store and saved yourself $10.00. Hopefully they work for you
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
gezerbike
Basic User

Post by gezerbike »

I'm kinda liking those O rings. In the rain, Grip Puppies will absorb water, where these will not. Also, they should offer a little ventilation, much like the stock grips. Think I might order a set...thanks for the heads up on these, and the site.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

BigEasy wrote:Wow $15.00 for a bag of O rings! I think you could have gone to the auto parts store and saved yourself $10.00. Hopefully they work for you
I hope so too. The idea of buying a bunch of different sizes, figuring the correct size, and then going back to buy them in bulk ("I'd like 48 of part no. 3456-8765, please") just seemed like more than I want to take on.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
gezerbike
Basic User

Post by gezerbike »

dbrick wrote:
BigEasy wrote:Wow $15.00 for a bag of O rings! I think you could have gone to the auto parts store and saved yourself $10.00. Hopefully they work for you
I hope so too. The idea of buying a bunch of different sizes, figuring the correct size, and then going back to buy them in bulk ("I'd like 48 of part no. 3456-8765, please") just seemed like more than I want to take on.

That, and I like spending money with people like this. Took a few minutes to read thru his site.........pretty cool how he is teaching his grandson's while making his rather unique items. And besides, it was his idea to get these on the market. $ 15.00 ain't gonna break me and it certainly won't make him rich.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
lewellen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 635

Post by lewellen »

dbrick wrote:I agree a Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster would be sometimes useful - there have been times I've wanted one. But I want things to be comfy from moment one on. I ordered these to try first: http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_f ... ge1340.htm
You know, that's a really neat idea.

I found the stock grips to be a little too small in diameter for me, but the Grip Puppy-d grips are a little too large.

With an O-ring, you set the ID and can (in principle) vary the thickness ... interesting!

Thanks!

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Back in the saddle again after a family road trip, I installed Tom's O-rings on the stock R12R grips.

They are a definite improvement over stock, both because they're larger and provide better grip on the palm. I haven't done more than a little in-town riding, but I expect that the greater grip will result in my not having to constantly readjust my hand position. They're way better than Grip Puppies.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Jaguar
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Jaguar »

What an great idea. I've never been pleased with BMW grips. But, have always shyed away from foam type covers fearing interferance with the heated grips. I would think the O-ring system would increase the diameter, have good grip with bare hands or gloves and allow heat to pass threw. I'm sold. I contacted Excel Cycle Werkes earlier to order a set for my 2007 R1200R. Once installed, I'll pass on a review.

Russ
N.E. Florida
2007 R1200R
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Post by waynemathews »

lewellen wrote:
dbrick wrote:I'm not talking about the Puppies rotating around the grip; they don't do that. I'm finding that it takes a tighter grip than I'm used to or want to employ to keep the throttle open. That is, the glove/Grip Puppy interface has less friction than the glove/original grip does.
The Grip Puppies do significantly increase the grip's diameter. All else being equal, that will make them harder to hang on to ... or at least that's what I found the case to be.

In years and on bikes past, I've been a huge fan of Pro Grips. They held up extremely well, were very "tacky" without being sticky (kind of like the pads you can put on your car's dash to keep your GPS from sliding).

However ... my R12R has heated grips, so removing the stock grips seemed like a non-starter.

Good roads,

- Lewellen
I tried the Grip Puppies, and found them a bit too big around for comfort. I looked back to the BMW grips on my R100S which are tapered with the inside (thumb side) the smaller diameter. I cut a grip puppy in half and installed one half on each grip, and have been very pleased.
09 R1200R