Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by OU812 »

Nice! My good old friend just bought a ST1100. He felt it was THE bike he had to have. Did your bags also shake as you drove down the road on your ST? :lol: I think you made a GREAT upgrade! :D And You are certainly welcome. 8)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
dtshaw
Basic User

Post by dtshaw »

Hello: Newbie here, just looking around. I hope to post more in the future.
'97 R1100R das grüne Ungeheuer
Trainmaster
Basic User

Introduction

Post by Trainmaster »

My name is Mike (Trainmaster) and I currently reside in Westminster, Maryland. I'm a young 58 (at least I think so), married for 36 years (same woman, by the way), father of 2 grown children, and grandfather of 5 little ones.

My '04 R1150R is my newest acquisition (May 2007) and I love it. I have owned 6 different bikes over the years and have jumped in and out of motorcycling since the age of 21. But I'm back in now! I have had a Honda CB350, a Honda XL350, a Yamaha XS650, and in 1995 I broke down and bought a BMW K75. Sold it a few years later - kids needed something so the bike went. A couple of years later I bought a 1989 R100RT. Same thing happened - kids needed something AGAIN! Now I'm just a year and a half away from retiring from the railroad (hence Trainmaster) and I bought the roadster. I'm planning to hold on to it until I'm too old to kick my leg over it any more.

I do get out about one time per week to ride and after retirement I hope to put some serious miles under my butt. If you're in the area, give me a shout. :)[/img]
Last edited by Trainmaster on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TM
'04 R1150R
Member #544
biker74
Basic User

Post by biker74 »

Hello All. Craig here from Dundee in Scotland. Great site, glad I found it.

Had an R850R Classic until recently when a car drove into my lane while turning - his fault, didn't see me, bike written off. Incidentally, found out today he is now denying liability - seriously hacked off. Solicitor is dealing, and police report being sent for - hopefully it all works out.

Anyway, bought the Rockster today, ideally wanted the bronze colour scheme but couldn't get hold of, have gone for the citrus. Should hopefully get delivered next Wednesday \:D/

Only been riding for about 2 years so still learning alot. Was meant to be doing a North West tour of Scotland of Friday, but what with a mere Honda CBF600 as a hire bike, decided against it. And summer hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it will next Wednesday.

Well, thats me.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Well, hello - I'm Bill.
I live by Sydney Harbour, which is fabulous even right now in mid-winter.

The R1200R I have on order will be my 9th BMW and 5th boxer.
I'm on the underside of middle age (mid 40's) and have been riding 25 of the past 28 years.
My current ride - which I'll keep - is a twin-spark F650CS kitted out for light touring
(had a fabricator make frames to take the F650GS luggage).
The CS is a sweet little bike and almost capable enough not to need another bike.

I was shopping for a light-sports, light-tourer that would be heavy enough
to give a decent ride on rough Australian roads (the F-CS is too light)
and easy enough to manage out of and back into the city.
I know from my years with K100Rt and K1100LT that I no longer wish to manage
a bike of that bulk around my steep, awkward harbourside streets.

I don't know if I've finally found my one true niche in Roadsters
- I'd sort of like an RT-lite, really -
but the R1200R is the bike that suits me best right now.
I think I would've had (and kept) an R1150R, had I bought one instead of the R1150RS
- but after selling the 246kg RS, I still didn't want a 238kg bike.

The R-R and the F-CS share BMW's best ride position,
and a nice balance between versatility and sport or touring competence.
Not being the most physical dexterous or fluid (or big) guy,
I find the tourers to cumbersome in town and the sportbikes too demanding and uncomfortable.
The roadsters may be a bit like Goldilocks, but I think they're just right.

My car is usually a light 4WD of some sort, but at the moment it's a sweet BMW 528i (E39, built 2000).
Otherwise, I can be found in a sea kayak, on cross country skis,
on my bicycle (and, boy, these streets are steep!),
or plunking on guitar, mandolin or bouzuki.

9 to 5 and a bit beyond, I'm an economist.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
nonskid
Basic User

Post by nonskid »

I'm another new guy to this site. I have an 04 R1150RT and I'm selling it so I can get an R1150R! The RT is a good bike but for the riding I'm doing the R is what I need. I've owned 2 other BMW's and many other brands too. There was a 10 year span when I didn't ride :cry: and now I'm back. :D
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Post by mcooperstein »

Greetings all you new board members!! Great to have you here...post lots of pictures of your rides!!!

Mark
member #3
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Beemeridian wrote:Wonderful new folks from all over the world, great!
BMW brings it's own brand of environmentally friendly global warming :D
Dave, Nice twist! :twisted: :lol:
smckaynl
Basic User

Post by smckaynl »

Hi Everyone. I've been visiting this site for well over a year and it was big part of the reason
I bought the R. I live in Newfoundland Canada and flew to Montreal in June to get my BMW and ride it home, since
there is no dealer here on the island. I'll post a trip report soon with more pictures, but for now here is a pic of my Red R on the Rock.
It's a new 2006 R with ABS
1WhlDrv
Basic User

Re: Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

Post by 1WhlDrv »

Picked up my 2003 Roadster a few weeks ago after 3 yr on a K1100RS. What a sweetie, with only 10K on the clock. Stuck myself on the map in Long Beach.

I'll be around.
THN

Red 2003 R1150R (Maybe not the fastest, but certainly the best looking.)
erne
Basic User

Post by erne »

Hi!

I'm Marc, 34, coming from Ulm, Germany, riding this 2003 Rockster since last year.

And as the winter was such long, I'd a bit time to change some details...

Best wishes
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

erne,
What kind of taillight is that?
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
erne
Basic User

Post by erne »

Hey Biff,

sorry for late reply...

This is a taillight Kit bei HESA, a small german manufacturer...

It's the MV Agusta Brutale taillight with a GFK-fairing and another License-plate holder.

Greeting

Marc
PhilDinAZ
Basic User

Tempe, AZ - PhilDinAZ

Post by PhilDinAZ »

Been riding since 81. Started on a 500cc Yamaha, then 2 Honda CBX's, a Honda CX500TC and then my 1st BMW, a 1985 K100RS. Nothing but BMW ever since. Currently on a red 2004 R1150R w/ABS but will eventually have a GS of one configuration or another. Say hi or try to contact me if you're every going to be in, by or through Tempe, AZ!

http://picasaweb.google.com/PhilDinAZ/2 ... 8090746738
04 Roadster
Happy Rider
Basic User

Post by Happy Rider »

Hi everyone:
I just bought a 2004 RR with ABS. This is my 2nd BMW after 3 years on a F650GS. So far, I only drove it in a parking lot but since I'm reading the posts on this forum for a little while, I already knew better than applying the front brakes :biggrin: Anyway, I still have to register it (tomorrow) and then will pick it up on Wednesday. I can't wait and might take vacation on Thursday and Friday to get properly acquainted.... :lol:
I am looking forward to sharing the experience and tapping into the vast knowledge on this forum.
Martin
2004 R1150R ABS - silver
BMW MOA # 139330
hawkdad
Lifer
Donating Member #: 836

Post by hawkdad »

Hello All,

I'm Hawkdad... Dave Hawkins in Dubuque IA... since my motocross days and dreaming over Cycle magazine when I was 15... I knew that .... someday.... I would get a beemer...
that was a long time ago... and I've been riding my bicycle up and down the Missippi river roads and listening to the whrr of the BMW crowd go by... thinking... wow... that's just too cool for school.....
Someday finally came when I got to pick up an 03 red R1150R with 6300 miles for a damned reasonable price.... Man... it just doesn't get any better than this.... In my first month... I've put on about 1500 miles... and I feel like the cat that swallowed the canary.... :biggrin:

I'm really glad I found this site... cudo's for everyone on here helping the crowd out.... I didn't expect to find such a welcoming 'community'. Thanks for all your help... I look forward to meeting and chatting with you all in the future.

If you're up in the NE Iowa area... just give me a shout... I'll be glad to meet you or help out any way I can...

Thanks again,
Hawkdad
Dave
'03 Red R1150R
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Took a trip through MO and up to IA (Anamosa) last month. The museum is the sh*t! Will remember to ring you up next time.
Steve
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Welcome Everybody!
Member #1
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

Hi. I am still waiting for my R1200R to arrive (November 15th!) and slowly reassembling the rear end of my F650GS Dakar after replacing all the swingarm / linkage bearings. Definitely keeping the GS, as it is well farkled and close to how I want it now. My only gripe is with the suspension, and I've (longer-term) plans to fix that with a Wilbers shock at the rear and Racetech emulators in the forks. I can comfortably ride it all day, and I'm hoping the R1200R will be every bit as good a roadbike.

Here's a pic of the Dakar in super-retard trim with the crappy BMW screen on it -- I'd broken the excellent Wunderlich screen in an offroad incident and was waiting for a replacement:

'07 Dakar motard, '08 R1200R destroyed, and a gaggle of old Toyotas