Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

New /Old Lurker

Post by Guest »

Hello!

I've re-registered after lapsing for awhile. Love the new look!

I've got a 2004 Silver bike.
From New York. Live in Michigan.
Also have an '89 Honda Hawk and a '76 (sort of) Yamaha XS650.

Hiker
hooligan
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hooligan »

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2004 R1150R, so I figured it was about time to post. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I went to one of the local bike shops to LOOK at a Yamaha FZ1. I sat on the bike, and it felt like the seat was a little too high (I'm only 5'6). So I noticed the BMW over in the back of the shop. Now, I've wanted a BMW for as long as I've wanted a motorcycle. I went over and sat on it and fell in love. Needless to say, a few hours later I was ridding it away. And if the 1600 miles I’ve put on it in the last 2 weeks are any indication, I'm sure I'll continue to love it. BTW, it has a windscreen, clear turn signals, ABS, and some new saddlebags.
2004 BMW R1150R Silver, Clear Turn Signals, Windscreen
Taipan
Basic User

Greetings

Post by Taipan »

Hi All!

I'm Dave. I hail from a place called Basildon in the county of Essex in England. Which probably means zero to most of you, so if I say it’s about 30 miles to the east of London that should give you an idea.:)

I've owned many bikes, but BMW wise I had a k100Rs 16v a few years back and more recently a R1100GS. I bought the bike for practical reasons and after a recent spate of supermotos, I didn’t like it! But eventually it won be over.

I decided to upgrade it as it was a 94 bike. But GSs here command a premium and seem vastly over priced. I saw a Rockster and couldn't believe what good value they were compared to a GS. I was getting a 03 Rockster for the same price I'd have to pay for a 00 GS!

I found a bike local, (in the street next to where I work!) and bought it. I am now a happy Rockster owner. 8)

Best,

Dave
BreadMan
Basic User

Post by BreadMan »

Dan Scott here from the Washington, DC area. Just bought my first BMW, a 2000 R1100R with 24K on the clock.
1999 R1100RA
2005 DL-1000
2003 Stella Malossi 166
2003 Vespa ET-4
1978 Vespa Sport Fiddy

Greetings, I'm New

Post by Guest »

New to the board and wanted to say hello. I am currently on an '02 GS Adventure and though this is an R board, I hope you'll let me stay. The topics are slightly more stimulating here versus the sometimes complaining Adv. Rider board. Plus, my cousin has an R so you have to take me! Anyways, Good day to you. -Mike
alkaloid
Basic User

Post by alkaloid »

BTW, That's me on the above posting. I swore I logged in before replying the first time. Oh well...
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Re-introduction

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Hello old friends - and everyone new to this great site over the past couple of years that I don't know yet. I was/am original member #37 on the old board but have had little time to lurk, let alone post, over the past couple of years. I have checked in once in a blue moon but even now don't have time for the kind of posting I used to do. But some major events have drawn me back and let me say it's great to see so many of my fellow stalwart roadster fans still around. I have fond memories of a long list of you characters. I'm tempted to start naming names, but in the interest of time and not offending anyone will leave it at the Usual Suspects. Even the newer members will understand the lasting appreciation that develops for those anchors of this special piece of cyberspace that can become your favorite club. There is a big temptation to use the word Family, and in many respects it's true. I had to really laugh the other day while lurking when when saw the old issue of the Kill Switch -Key controversy raise its ugly head. I maybe shouldn't admit it, but I was the original asker of that infamous question -- and I'll be damned if I'm saying what I do now. Anyhow... my brief reintroduction:

Currently an active duty Captain in the U.S. Navy, Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. At the mid-point of a four-year evening law school program at American University's Washington College of Law - the big reason for my lack of posts. Husband of Melissa, who has been my best friend since the sixth grade - even through the 22 years of our marriage; father of two boys in college who also happen to be my best friends - which despite the grammatical inaccuracy is entirely possible.

Bought the first R1150R sold by Battley's in Rockville in June 2001 as my first bike ever (after 18 years of persistent diplomatic negotiation with my best friend, Melissa). After 30,000 fantastic miles on the best naked bike on the planet - if not THE best bike according to CYCLEROB - last week bought the first K1200R sold by Battley's. The KR is the ONLY bike that could have lured me away from my RR. I'll find the appropriate place to give you some reports, but for now let's just say that it's probably everything you might imagine, because it's more bike than I imagined.

The other big events for me relevant to this board are that one of my sons and my brother just got motorcycles. My brother saw how much fun I was having that he bought a 2004 Red RR just last month. My son had to keep up with all of his 20- something buddies so, despite my trying to convince him of the beemer way, got a Honda 600RR. And finally perhaps the most dramatic event is that Melissa now loves to ride with me. We did a 330 mile day from Washington to Pittsburgh the long way a couple of weeks ago and plan to ride to the outer banks of North Carolina in a couple of weeks. So I have a darn lot of great stuff to talk about here and will try to check in and post as much as I can. But unless I want to flunk my summerschool class on Evidence, I have to get back to the books.

As Andy from Poland or Brit in Heaven might say, Cheers!
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
Lisa
Basic User

Greetings

Post by Lisa »

Hello All,

My name is Lisa. I live in Southern Maryland, where the deer are plentiful, the bugs are large, but still nervous, and the soccer moms try very hard to rule the roads.

I purchased a Black '04 R1150R (26K) in June '05, and am enjoying it every chance I get.

Just thought I'd say Hi.

All for now,

Lisa
pinecone
Basic User

Post by pinecone »

Hey, everyone -

My name is Kari and I ride a 1997 Ascot Green R850R that I purchased from the original owner just over a year ago. Been riding since my early 20s (10+ yrs ago) and this is my first, long-awaited BMW. The 850 was not necessarily my first choice, but I got a great deal on it and it won't be my last R bike. Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to post after noticing I wasn't the only 850 owner here (thanks, jonothan).

Currently, most of my riding involves commuting up to 50 miles/day, but I hope to do more touring in the future. I am proud to say that I managed an occasional ride through much of this past Minnesota winter as we had less snow than usual.

This is a great board - thank you to the sponsor!

Kari
wvmark
Basic User

Post by wvmark »

Hey there from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia!

I've been lurking since I bought my '02 R1150R back in May. Been riding a series of Kawasaki cruisers for the past 19 years (100,000+ miles), and always wanted a BMW. Folks thought I spent too much time riding before the BMW - I can't keep off this bike! I never paid attention to the "sport" part of sport/touring and what an eye opener it's been. I've already added 3,000 miles in about 7 weeks.

I commute to work everyday except when we have snow or ice on the roads (or on my forrested lane). So around here, January and February are the evil months. I also spend time zipping around the applachians, or the occassional tour to Maryland's eastern shore, where I was raised.

This is a great group! Thanks to the sponsors and moderators.
KaneToad
Basic User

Post by KaneToad »

Hi there, Steve from down under in sunny Brisbane.

Having completed my Q-Ride (MSF) training on BMW's a few months back, I was able to ride the f650gs and r850r and get a feel for these bikes. I found my fit on the r850r to be more compatible with my height and girth (6'5, scales cry when I enter the room). The size of this bike didn't make me look like a gorilla on a tiny bike, just a gorilla on a large bike =)

After looking further into getting an r850r, I went to Morgan & Wacker here in Brisbane to price one for myself. I had also looked at the Yamaha Warrior, but pushy salesman (hate that!) and wasn't as comforatable as the r850r. The r850r's seem to be more rare than hen's teeth here, but they had an r1150r there which I was able to take for a test ride (after considering the GS range somewhat). I didn't feel as overwhelmed with the larger engine capacity, felt a lot more comforatable than other bikes I had sat on, and signed up to but one that day. A week later, a nice new shiny silver r1150r was picked up. Chose the silver because I really don't want to keep the bike shiney, and the silver/gray would be least noticable that its dirty =)

After a week of owning this bike its in today for the first (1000k) service. The break in period finally over was able to start seeing more of the bikes potential.

So far have been mainly riding through back roads through Dayboro (80-100 zones) and have been for a ride up Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious, some fantastic twisties, but taken very gently getting used to the bike and road (was also raining which reduced confidence). Heated handgrips which I thought I would never use have come in very handy so far, as it's still winter here. Also have been commuting this week into University (Bach. Sec. Education), parking soooooo much easier than by car.

Looking forward to discussing more about this wonderful machine with everyone.

--Steve
xaque
Lifer

Whoopee!!!

Post by xaque »

Hello everyone!

Well, I did it. I finally got the R1150 R that I’ve always wanted!

I traded in my F650 CS and got one hell of a deal… one I couldn’t pass up!

I’m looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing some stories and know-how.

A little about me:

My Xaque and I currently reside in Western Massachusetts. I work full time in the public safety field and play the drums.

Ciao!
Last edited by xaque on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided."

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, I just registered. I bought a red 2003 R1150R from Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA in March. I live near Reading, PA.

I am a music teacher and tuba/trombone player, I have 2 teen agers a boy Karl and daughter Kate, and a lovely wife Kristel. (afterall she let me get the BMW!)

I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid and had a few Yamaha street bikes in my 20's. My wife even learned how to ride too after we were married. Then about 8 years ago when the kids were so young, I never was able to get out on the bike much so I sold it. Now that they are bit older I figure I could get out a bit more and even take them out for rides. So I started looking for a mid life crisis vehicle. I always loved BMW's so that was my first choice. I was origianlly looking for a late 80's early 90's R100 but I figured for only about $2000 more I could get the 2003, so I broke the bank and haven't looked back.

ken k
OneShot
Basic User

Post by OneShot »

Hi all. I have been lurking around for a few weeks and finally registered. Got my silver '04 R1150R two weeks ago and have been trying to get road time in between rain and school. I also play bass trombone/tuba and occasionally give lessons to beginning band students. I also moonlight as a math tutor. I served eight years in the Marines and am now a mechanical engineering major at Mercer University. Semper Fi!
-Nelson
Semper Fi!

'04 R1150R Titan Silver Non-ABS
Photo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 217

Post by Photo »

Hello there. I'm Nate from the Denver, CO and I've owned my '02 Red beak for nearly 2 years now. I've done a few long-distance trips on my beloved Frau Blucher (I like riding distance) and can safely say she's the most versatile and comfortable horse I've owned in the 26 years I've been riding. As a bonus, the other roadster riders I've met are some of the most sincere, helpful, and passionate folks I could ever hope to encounter on 2 wheels.

Like our esteemed and playful brother Patrick, I subscribe to the notion that it NEVER matters what brand or type of bike you ride, as long as you RIDE. It means one less cage on the road, and I'm all for that.

When I'm not putting miles on the Frau, I'm exploring the mountains and dirt roads on my new WeeStrom. It compliments the 1150R very well in purpose (serving as the poor-man's GS, and saving my $$$ for the miscellaneous Deutsche bits that I keep adding to the Frau).

Rubber side down, everyone. Ride fast and stay safe.
Photo
The EZ-board poster formerly known as "Photo82"
Beemer Ayuh
Basic User

Post by Beemer Ayuh »

Hi,

I'm Chris from Southern Maine, and I'm looking at buying a Rockster...

I have been riding on the street for 15 years, and in the dirt for 26 years...I've owned a few different bikes...I started out on a 73 Yamaha RD350, then went to a 77 Yamaha RD 400, then to an 86 Kawasaki Ninja ZX1000R, then to my current bike, an 00 Suzuki TL1000R.

I have began looking for another bike because my TLR is just not as comfortable as I'd like it to be, and I can't put the milage on in a day I would like to, and if my wife is riding on the back, she's only good for an hour before she needs to stop for a good rest...I love my bike, I love the V-Twin, I love the sound, and I love how loud it is, but I guess I'm getting older and want something more comfortable for myself and my wife, something that does not have as aggressive riding position, something without a full fairing, but has a personality. I like that my TLR has a personality and doesn't sound like every I4 sportbike out there.

So I'm here to find out as much as I can about the R1150R and the Rockster to make sure this is the perfect bike for me...I've been reading the posts for a week or so, and will probably have some questions...Thanks in advance!
00 Suzuki TL1000R, PCII & D&D Exhaust...
rock712
Lifer

Post by rock712 »

Hi, from Morristown, NJ

I bought my Rockster last NOV. I love it to death.

This site has been informative and helpful. Thanks
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays?
Yogi
Basic User

Newbie Alert!

Post by Yogi »

Hi all,

My name is Jonathan and I'm 35. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I'm married and have a 2 year old son, with a 2nd kid on the way. I am a chemical engineer.

I'm getting back into bike after an absence of a few years. I previously had a F650 GS-Dakar. I have just bought a 2004, black R1150R with 33,000 odd km's on it. I went to test ride a R1150GS and ended up with this bike instead :o

So far I am really enjoying this bike. It is a whole lot nicer to ride than the Dakar. It gives me a lot more confidence to push harder. I've developed a new mantra: "I will not ride like a hooligan - I will not ride like a hooligan!". Sometimes this even works :D

Hopefully I won't ask all the dumb questions that newbie's inevitably can, but apologies in advance if I do.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Jonathan Stones
2004 R1150R
imhalffull
Basic User

Post by imhalffull »

Hello, my name is Randy. Been reading this board for over a year, bought an 02 w/abs in July 04. I bought it at BMWOKC it was originally purchased in NC as a yellowjacket but was was painted by the dealer, black with no graphics.
I move oversize loads (truck driver) around the country so I don't get to ride nearly enough. Purchased with 1,400 miles on the clock currently have 3k+ so you can see I really don't get home often enough. Have only owned Yamahas (4) anticipate this to be my last or next to last motorcycle, things could change though, I'm no seer. Anyway, hello.
drifter
Basic User

Re: Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

Post by drifter »

Hi,
i'm Alexandre from Vancouver, Canada.
Well, i'm from Russia originally but have lived in Canada for the last 14 years. I fix cars for living if it matters :)
I'm riding 2005 Yamaha FZ6 and just got '04 Rockster in need of repair.
Oh, and i just turned 50 and still not sure if it's a lot :?