My Cross Country Ride Last June

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: My Cross Country Ride Last June

Post by Airman »

GypsyRR wrote:I don't intend to hijack Boxer's thread, so I'll offer this info to him and others who might be interested in long distance motorcycle/camping info:

If you have a smartphone, there is an app called Campwhere by Big Nerd Ranch. It's been invaluable to me. If I have 3G or edge or wifi, I simply let it locate me and then it shows me campgrounds near me. You choose the distance out you want to see. Or, I can choose an area I plan to be in that afternoon and look ahead for campgrounds. It hasn't failed me yet! And if you don't have wifi/3G/Edge available the site says:

The entire campground database is resident on Campwhere, it does not come from the internet. The maps and directions, however, DO come from the internet. You can see the campgrounds and the basic info (latitude, longitude, phone numbers, etc) and see some of the underlying map depending on what is in the memory of the device. You could possibly phone ahead and use your GPS for directions to get there even without an Internet connection.
Just as a sub-hijack, is there and Android app ? I don't see it on the marketplace.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Airman wrote:
Just as a sub-hijack, is there and Android app ? I don't see it on the marketplace.
Just a sub-hijack reply: If you go to the market for Android, just do a search on camping. There is an app called Camp and RV that is similar to Campwhere, but there might be others just as appealing.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I saw several, what appeared to be Androids, along the beach in California....mostly near San Francisco.....then when I stopped to ogle the beach babes...I'm like, "Camp where?!?"
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I hear that Cali sun is pretty strong, you betcha.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates