2nd Spring Ride - Salt Lake City, Utah

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

angellr
Donating Member #: 860

2nd Spring Ride - Salt Lake City, Utah

Post by angellr »

Went for my second ride in the past couple of days. Did this loop with my son's friend Richard on Sunday and then I just finished up with this ride this afternoon going in the opposite direction. This ride takes you right below the snow line around the Salt Lake Valley perimeter. Salt Lake City is basically a "bowl" - Mountains surround it ... and from snow line to snow line (east to west across the valley is approximately 20-25 miles depending on certain points) one can circle the Salt Lake Valley as shown on the Google map below. Temps were in the mid 50's both days - today was a bit windy and even used my Balaclava for part of the rides. Heated grips were used on low ... but were very helpful.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 36084&z=10

Kennecott Copper Mine (largest open-pit Copper mine in the world [not to be confused with the largest PRODUCING Copper mine in Chuquicamata, Chile])

Kennecott Copper Mine - looking to Left of Mine (almost due South)

Kennecott Copper Mine - looking to Right of Mine (almost due West)

Mountains on the OPPOSITE side of the mine approximately 20 miles away.

More of the same but looking NORTH towards the city

More of the same but looking NORTH-WEST across the valley (SLC is on the R of the pic) approximate distance to the other mountains would be roughly 30 or so miles.

Looking back towards Kennecott Copper Mine from the OPPOSITE side of the valley approximately 20 miles from where I was parked.

Staying out of the canyons until the snow is gone ... a bit higher and the snow is still melting on/over the roads. Feels good to be able to get out and ride for a few hours these past few days. Cannot believe how sore I am and how snug the gear is right now ... funny, don't remember having it laundered, but maybe I did and cannot remember. :lol:

Horrible weather in the forecast over the next few days ... so will be awaiting another good day.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD