Potential problem

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

CapeBeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Potential problem

Post by CapeBeemer »

I noticed last fall that I was having an issue with water building up in the well under the gas cap on my 07 R. I would see water there after I rode in the rain or after I washed the bike, my fix at the time was to mop up the water with a rag or paper towel which would remove all the water you could see. I finally got around to dealing with it and pulled the gas cap and the filler tube off, figuring there was a drain hole that was plugged. The hole was plugged and hopefully it seems I was able to free it up so water will be able to drain from that little well. However I was pretty disturbed to find that water seems to be making its way down the outside of the filler tube where it has no place to drain. This has caused quite a bit of corrosion of the tank below the base of the filler tube, the paint is gone there and the metal is flaking. I think the problem may be a design issue as there is no gasket around the cap where it meets the tank and there is no place for the water to drain after it makes its way in there. Has anyone else had this issue, and does anyone know if there was a design change after 07? Thanks for your input.
Brian
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Potential problem

Post by dbrick »

Interesting. I haven't read about this before. Would you take some pics and show us what you found?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
creamora
Basic User
Donating Member #: 964

Post by creamora »

OK Brian, I'll add this as item #582 on my list of things to freak out about. #-o

I'd like to think that your coastal Atlantic climate has something to do with it. I believe there was a thread on the steering dampner corrosion being climate and maintenance related.

I'll sit back and let the forum elders speak on this. 8-[
2009 R1200R Black
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

I will try to get a pic this week. I don't think it is climate related, (I moved to the Hudson valley two years ago, got to update my profile)I think it is because the water gets in there and has nowhere to go.
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

This thread reminded me that water collects under my (2010) gas cap as well. So it looks like they haven't come up with a fix as of my production date.

cheers,
jed1
Basic User

Post by jed1 »

G'day Brian,

I while ago, I posted a subject about the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19074

I still have water that builds up around the fill cap that I dry out with a paper towel etc too. Was it a hard problem to fix at all?

Thanks,

Jed.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Have to look at mine - but I know on my R1150RS - the drain around the cap went down through a long spiral metal tube that was soldered to the outside of the filler assembly... and eventually connected to a rubber hose in the tank that then went to an outlet fitting on the tank bottom. My was badly corroded - but I was able to free it up with an air-gun with a needle tip, and by wiggling weed-wacker plastic string through it.

As far as our caps - I've experienced no problems, but mine has also been covered by a tank bag except when the bike is parked overnight outside - then it usually has my Kwikover over it. It might see some wet when I wash the bike..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

I think there are two issues here. One is the plugged drain that captures water that makes its way inside the cap and then into your tank if the drain is plugged. The second is water getting between the tank and tube, there is no drain at that point and the water just sits there. In my case it rusted the tank pretty badly in that area. Don, It would be great if you pulled your cap and tube off and took a look.
Brian
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

I finally got a photo of the rust problem below the filler tube on the tank.https://picasaweb.google.com/1090517752 ... LuJx9X2fQ# Hopefully my experiment with pasting it in works, if not you should be able to go to the URL. This photo is taken after I scraped the flaking paint and rust away. The ring of paint remaining is on the inside of the gasket of the filler tube The rusted area is from water getting in around the outside of the filler tube which it will do any time it rains or you wash your bike, there is no drain in that area so the water just sits there doing its thing.
When I preview this reply I get a message after inserting with the img button saying "it is not possible to determine the dimensions of the image", I must be doing something wrong I guess.
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

Capebeemer the photo came out ok.
I can see what you mean. I havent taken delivery of my bike yet, so therefore cant really comment with much detail, however looking at the parts fiche, it also doesnt indicate any drain tube or similar in this area. I might consider coating this section with 'fish oil' or similar coating to inhibit rust formation, as I know my bike will be out in the weather given that I intend to ride it everyday.
2011 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Wow.

Guess I have to look at mine. I think(!) mine should be OK since the bike never is without the tank bag (except parked overnight sometimes outside, and then it has a cover over it..) but that IS scary. I would be looking for some sort of seal that could fit around the outside of the lip on the filler neck.

I have a can of BoeShield (http://boeshield.com/) that I think is going to be used in this location (BTW - Peter, president of the company that packages/markets the product is a BMW owner - 4 wheeled ones - but he is an enthusiast..)

Scary. Wonder if the paint never made it there or something odd..
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

Don,
It is interesting that there is actually a second drain at the bottom of the filler tube, but it is seperated from where the water sits by the gasket.
If you take yours off you will see what I mean, I am looking forward to hearing what kind of condition yours is in. I think the engineers fell asleep on this one.
Brian
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

I have not taken the ring and cap off the bike but removing two screws revealed an unmistakable rust color on the screws. My bike is garaged at home but getting caught in the rain happens (and washing too).
At first thought a combination of a sealant and a gasket material might fit the bill. I am wondering about how to remove the ring and clean any eventual rust out without allowing whatever is underneath to crumble into the tank in the process.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

This is a great example of "if I didn't mess with it, it would not matter"......
I see NO problem with your situation, given that the space directly around the "seal" of the tank is not compromised, as clearly seen in the photo.

Mine might have looked like that when I installed the new SW-Motech gas cap two years ago.....

Just go frikin' ride the thing and quit worrying about "what if".... so what if it's all rusted.... you shouldn't have messed with it in the first place.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Joe - this from another post::
mogu83 wrote: All this endless conversation about windshields, switchgear and endless second guessing the people that made the bike,at best entertaining. I know people that spend more time reading about, talking about and dicking with the bike than they do riding the damn thing. I figure just ride it till it breaks, if you can't fix it -get a new one.
Not all us old guys spend the day looking for something wrong (perceived wrong) so we can sit in the garage and di-k with it. Some of us ride - not as fast as we used to but were still out there. I do try to keep my bike clean but a small dent or scratch doesn't send me to the dealer for a new one.

BTW: It's none on my business what someone does with their bike and if I don't want to read about rust or switch gear I don't have to. But it is usually, if not educational, entertaining and being an old retired guy I have time to read it. At least when the temps are in the 20's or when the roads are covered in crap.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
creamora
Basic User
Donating Member #: 964

Post by creamora »

ChiTown wrote:Just go frikin' ride the thing and quit worrying about "what if".... so what if it's all rusted.... you shouldn't have messed with it in the first place.
I'm waiting for them to come out with a 'quit worrying patch' 8-[

"so what if it's rusted...." BLASPHEMY Sir, don't speak of such things. #-o
2009 R1200R Black
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

CapeBeemer wrote:Don,
It is interesting that there is actually a second drain at the bottom of the filler tube, but it is seperated from where the water sits by the gasket.
If you take yours off you will see what I mean, I am looking forward to hearing what kind of condition yours is in. I think the engineers fell asleep on this one.
Brian
It won't be until at least the weekend.. (cold in NJ, and for another 13 days, 7.5 hours I'm still employed.. WHEEE!!)
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

creamora wrote: I'm waiting for them to come out with a 'quit worrying patch' 8-[

Those would sell very, very well around here. :lol:

Good morning Harry! \:D/

Congrats Don!

So retirement is coming soon?....

what on earth are you going to do with yourself?
Get Lost!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

ChiTown wrote:
creamora wrote: I'm waiting for them to come out with a 'quit worrying patch' 8-[
Those would sell very, very well around here. :lol:

Good morning Harry! \:D/
They'd be marketed right next to the "don't bitch about.." patches. (HINT!)

Good morning Joe! \:D/
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

ChiTown wrote: Congrats Don!

So retirement is coming soon?....

what on earth are you going to do with yourself?
April 15th (I try to use memorable dates..) Hey - only been working for about 47 years..

And I plan on riding a bit more (hoping to win the club mileage contest sooner or later, which isn't easy since John Ryan is in our club..) Past 4 years it's been about 11k per year for me, I'm hoping to double that. Won't beat John (who doesn't own a car, and is an endurance rider,) but should be a respectable 2nd place.. :)