Will Vario risers deal with wrist pain?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwk100
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Will Vario risers deal with wrist pain?

Post by bmwk100 »

I have owned my 2010 R12 for six months now and am approaching 6K on the bike. I love the bike and have only one remaining issue which deals with pain on my left wrist. It appears the Triquetrum or Pisiform bone area (outside area of the left wrist) are being irritated even during short rides. It appears the position of the bars are causing the pain. I am considering the Wunderlich Vario risers and am wondering if purchasing the risers would address this pain? Do the risers change the angle/position of the wrist? Any input would be appreciated.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Will Vario risers deal with wrist pain?

Post by dbrick »

Risers will move the bars upward and/or back, but won't directly change the angle of the grips relative to the bike. However, moving the bars will *sightly* change the perceived grip angle, as moving the bars closer to your shoulders will every so slightly change the angle at which the grips are presented to the rider. It's a small change compared to a real pivoting at the grip end.

I have this challenge as well. I'd like the grips to be closer to parallel to the bike's centerline; my previous Oilhead RS would adjust this way. The R is less good: more pivoting isn't available (the bars are fixed); if they did pivot, the grips would run into the tank.

With a riser (I chose the Wunderlich), it's a bit more comfortable, and I find it tolerable. The improvement may come from the bars being closer, rather than the change in perceived angle.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jess
Basic User

Post by jess »

My particular problem was hand pain, not wrist pain -- putting weight on the palms of my hands.

That said, the risers I put on (which moved the bars up and back a bit) helped some. I'd still like to be a bit more upright, but the risers were definitely an improvement. I wasn't able to move the bars any farther back because of brake line issues (specifically the front) and I was too lazy to go to the trouble of getting longer lines fitted.

So overall an improvement for me, even if it wasn't 100%.
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried simply loosening the screws and tilting the bars further back?
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

Maybe you have injurd your wrist (without knowing it) and simply need to let it heal by staying off the bike for a week. Maybe take an anti-inflamitory for a week. ....just a thought.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

rockbottom wrote:This may be a dumb question, but have you tried simply loosening the screws and tilting the bars further back?
Sure, I tried that first. I rotated the bars as much as possible towards me - which wasn't much: the turn signal switches hit the tank pretty quickly. I couldn't feel the difference in wrist position.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Yes, bar backs took care of the soreness I was getting in my wrists from the slightly more forward lean riding stance the bike has without them. I assumed it was because it made the stance more upright, and therefore took weight off the wrists.
YRMV :D
Get Lost!
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

I imagine that, once I get my Scout fairing installed, I'll want barbacks. Right now, with the wind in my chest, I like leaning forward. That will probably get old without the wind support.
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
bicyclist
Basic User

Post by bicyclist »

You might consider a set of bars with a different bend. It has worked for me. I use K75 bars on a couple of my bikes. They have a bit more bend. Of course, you'll be setting yourself up to solve the usual cable length problems and how to attach bar end weights, but for me, it was worth it.
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

Thanks for the replies! I sometimes go a week without riding the bike and the pain comes back when I ride. Thus, I'm pretty sure the pain is caused by the angle of the handlebars. I contacted Wunderlich and the representative responded immediately and advised this is a common problem with this bike. He suggested the touring bars, but I'm not sure I want to go that route because of the cable issues. I came off sport-tourers (BMW K1200RS and Triumph Sprint ST) and never had this problem. If my dealer can install the touring bars at my upcoming 6K service, I may choose that route.
Blue 10' R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

bmwk100 wrote: If my dealer can install the touring bars at my upcoming 6K service, I may choose that route.
Are these Wunderlich touring bars? AFAIK - BMW only has the standard bars available for the R12R.. (and GS bars won't work since they change diameter between the clamps and the bar ends..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

Yes, I would purchase the Wunderlich touring bars if not the risers.
Blue 10' R1200R
ErikM
Basic User

Post by ErikM »

If you had no issues with a Sprint ST or the K12RS then the problem is most certainly not that the bars are to far forward or down but rather the angle of the bars, since both the Triumph and RS have way more forward and lower bars. I've owned all three bikes and I doubt that bar backs are the answer a different shape bar I suspect will be the solution, although it may be cheaper to first try bar backs.
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

EricM- I agree that the angle of the bars must be the issue. I spoke with my dealer today and it appears it will be 1 1/2 to 2 hour labor charge to install the touring bars. I'm leaning that way and am trying to research if the touring bars will change the dynamics of the bike.
Blue 10' R1200R
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

bmwk100, if you do install the touring bars (or something else), report back and let us know about how it changes things and how it feels.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Everyone is a different shape & size. My hands rest easily on the standard R1150 bars without any risers or whatever and my rear end is now happy with the standard seat. The pain went after some use. I've rheumatoid arthritis and my clutch hand gives me gip after a few hours. OK on Monday for the first ride out though.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

dbrick wrote:bmwk100, if you do install the touring bars (or something else), report back and let us know about how it changes things and how it feels.
Will do!
Blue 10' R1200R
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

Update- I received the Wunderlich Touring bars (much thinner than the stock bars) and took it to my dealer to install at my 6K service. I was contacted by the dealer that the bars do not fit (would have to drill holes and extend throttle cable). The dealer looked at the Wunderlich site and could not figure out how to install them without the aforementioned actions. Wunderlich was closed today so I will send the bars back and exchange them for the risers to see if that works for my wrist pain. Bummer!
Blue 10' R1200R
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

bmwk100 wrote:I have owned my 2010 R12 for six months now and am approaching 6K on the bike. I love the bike and have only one remaining issue which deals with pain on my left wrist. It appears the Triquetrum or Pisiform bone area (outside area of the left wrist) are being irritated even during short rides. It appears the position of the bars are causing the pain. I am considering the Wunderlich Vario risers and am wondering if purchasing the risers would address this pain? Do the risers change the angle/position of the wrist? Any input would be appreciated.
The risers did away with my almost unbearable wrist pain totally. They made the whole riding experience more pleasurable. I hope they work for you.

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

I hope it works for me! I sent back the bars back today and requested an exchange for the risers.
Blue 10' R1200R