Which tankbag for new R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lindeberg
Basic User

Which tankbag for new R1200R

Post by Lindeberg »

I´ve learned to drive with a tankbag, and I will buy one for my new R1200R (arriving in three weeks...)

To other bikes I have used Touratech and Wunderlich. Not sure that my Wunderlich for F800GS will work for my R...

Anyone got pros and cons of the above mentioned bags? How about the OEM BMW bag? It would be nice with a bag attachment that is discreet when the bag is off.
Jed
Basic User

Re: Which tankbag for new R1200R

Post by Jed »

I'm loving my TouraTech tank bag. The zippers aren't wearing as well as I'd like but such is life. The mounting system is slick and unobtrusive when the bag os off the bike (not common for me as I always use the bag while riding).

cheers,
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Assuming BMW continues with the bag used on the '07-'10 bikes for '11.. (and assuming you're getting a '11 bike) - I'm not a huge fan of their bag. It hooks up front under the VIN number plate, and isn't all that easy to get into position or off. The rear - I seem to recall it going down to a velcro'd zipper fastener, but that might have been an earlier BMW bag on my old R1150RS..

What I didn't like about it (and I had one for a short while):

- It has no organization to it. In order to make it waterproof, BMW put a Goretex treated liner inside it with a draw-string top. It's basically a black hole that you can dump things into and hope to dig them out sometime in the future. I also question how well the Goretex will hold up to hard things rubbing on the lined fabric liner..

- It blocks the view of the BMW Navigator series GPS's if they're mounted with BMW's mounts. 'duh! A basic incompatibility between two expensive accessories.

I'm using a strap fastened RKA bag. It's always on my bike.. it's compartmentalized, easy to organize stuff, uses an outside rain-cover (which has it's own little flaws), cheap, and easy to attach to the bike. It's also very easy to unclip the front of it and flip it over on the seat when filling up with gas. It's also expandable (but I've never bothered) and has a removable map pocket that will fit a US folded map in it with two folds fully showing (something the BMW bag can't do..)

There are a few minor improvements I'd make to the RKA bag if I could get Robert to listen.. :) But - overall, for the $$ it fits and works well for me.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

+1 on the RKA Tank Bag.

I have the 19 liter Expandable Shiloh Road, 3 Point Front Attachment, Wedge, Cod 193Y. Very thoughtful layout, and plenty o' room. Conveniently holds my DSLR camera ready for quick use. Mine was the only piece on my last roadster which escaped unharmed when the bike was totalled last fall.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Lindeberg
Basic User

Post by Lindeberg »

Jed wrote:I'm loving my TouraTech tank bag. The zippers aren't wearing as well as I'd like but such is life. The mounting system is slick and unobtrusive when the bag os off the bike (not common for me as I always use the bag while riding).

cheers,
Please, are you able to take a picture of the mounting system when the bag is off? As far as I´ve understood you have to fasten the fasteners on the bike with velcro, correct? How much is it visible with bag off?

Thanks for the replys.
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

Lindeberg wrote:
Jed wrote:I'm loving my TouraTech tank bag. The zippers aren't wearing as well as I'd like but such is life. The mounting system is slick and unobtrusive when the bag os off the bike (not common for me as I always use the bag while riding).
Please, are you able to take a picture of the mounting system when the bag is off? As far as I´ve understood you have to fasten the fasteners on the bike with velcro, correct? How much is it visible with bag off?
I'll happily send pictures but someone else will need to post them since I don't have an account at an appropriate image sharing site. If someone wants to PM an email address I can take and send pictures. I know a text description is worthless without pictures but:

At the front there is a short 3" wide strap held to the tank with velcro on the business end and held to the VIN Number plate on the ancho-side with a sturdy angle bracket. I use cable ties so that the anchor never comes off or rattles around (as it would without a bag mounted). At the back, there is a longer 3" wide velcro strap held to the tank with velcro on the business end and held to a screw mount on the battery holder (beneath the front of the seat) on the anchor side.

When there's no bag on the bike, the velcro straps are solidly against the tank (similar to a tank protector) and do not shift or make any noise at all. Attaching the bag involves placing the front oval eyelets through the turn-buttons (90° turn to lock in the front of the bag) and pulling the short velcro strap attached to the bag such that it connects with the tank-mounted velcro - 5 second or so to mount.

A couple for caveats about the bag. The main compartment is wide open, those use to using ditty bags to keep daypacks organized with know what to do. The other issue is that the handle for carrying the bag is at the front-wheel side of the bag but the most natural closure for the zippers is at the seat-side of the bag during a handle carry. If the zippers even fail you'd have to carry the bag wrong-side up. Because if this I don't carry from the handle, I just carry the bag wrong-side up by leaving the zippers slightly open and grasping the seat-side of the bag with my fingerings inside the bag itself.

cheers,
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Someone please buy the Doken Hardshell and post a review. $280 :shock:
Bill
Lindeberg
Basic User

Post by Lindeberg »

Thanks. You can use tinypic for example.
Jed wrote:
Lindeberg wrote:
I'll happily send pictures but someone else will need to post them since I don't have an account at an appropriate image sharing site. If someone wants to PM an email address I can take and send pictures. I know a text description is worthless without pictures but:

At the front there is a short 3" wide strap held to the tank with velcro on the business end and held to the VIN Number plate on the ancho-side with a sturdy angle bracket. I use cable ties so that the anchor never comes off or rattles around (as it would without a bag mounted). At the back, there is a longer 3" wide velcro strap held to the tank with velcro on the business end and held to a screw mount on the battery holder (beneath the front of the seat) on the anchor side.

When there's no bag on the bike, the velcro straps are solidly against the tank (similar to a tank protector) and do not shift or make any noise at all. Attaching the bag involves placing the front oval eyelets through the turn-buttons (90° turn to lock in the front of the bag) and pulling the short velcro strap attached to the bag such that it connects with the tank-mounted velcro - 5 second or so to mount.

A couple for caveats about the bag. The main compartment is wide open, those use to using ditty bags to keep daypacks organized with know what to do. The other issue is that the handle for carrying the bag is at the front-wheel side of the bag but the most natural closure for the zippers is at the seat-side of the bag during a handle carry. If the zippers even fail you'd have to carry the bag wrong-side up. Because if this I don't carry from the handle, I just carry the bag wrong-side up by leaving the zippers slightly open and grasping the seat-side of the bag with my fingerings inside the bag itself.

cheers,
Lindeberg
Basic User

Post by Lindeberg »

Thanks. You can use tinypic for example.
Jed wrote:
Lindeberg wrote:

cheers,
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Does no one on the forum use magnetic tank bags? The R1200R has a steel tank, which provides plenty of adhesion for magnetic connection and does not require straps, connectors or other permanently emplaced attachment devices. You just lift the bag up to access the fuel filler cap and when you arrive at your destination, you just grab the bag and you are on your way.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted at the center of the fork tree, so I do not favor large tankbags that tend to obstruct my view of the GPS screen.

I have two magnetically attached tankbags that I use:

A MotoFizz Through bag, which is a small bag sold by Aerostich, which I use for short touring trips. It has plenty of zippered compartments, but no plastic (see through) viewing surface on top for maps, etc..

A RKA bag, with the plastic top for maps/driving directions, which I use for longer touring trips. It is a relatively flat bag, but it can be expanded. However, when expanded, it does block the GPS screen.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

fastdogs2 wrote:Does no one on the forum use magnetic tank bags? The R1200R has a steel tank, which provides plenty of adhesion for magnetic connection and does not require straps, connectors or other permanently emplaced attachment devices. You just lift the bag up to access the fuel filler cap and when you arrive at your destination, you just grab the bag and you are on your way.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted at the center of the fork tree, so I do not favor large tankbags that tend to obstruct my view of the GPS screen.

I have two magnetically attached tankbags that I use:

A MotoFizz Through bag, which is a small bag sold by Aerostich, which I use for short touring trips. It has plenty of zippered compartments, but no plastic (see through) viewing surface on top for maps, etc..

A RKA bag, with the plastic top for maps/driving directions, which I use for longer touring trips. It is a relatively flat bag, but it can be expanded. However, when expanded, it does block the GPS screen.

Bill
Raising hand here - I use a Motofizz Through Bag [obligatory URL here - http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-in/ ... h-bag.html] and like it OK. It does not stick on the tank WHEN WET very well. Its small enough to not get in the way, but yet has LOTS of room for all kinds of stuff - Money Bag for tolls, can put cellphone where I can see it, map section and has some organization. Not too expensive, either.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Yeah Fastdogs, I have used magnetic tank bags for the last 20 years, one reason why I demand a bike with a steel tank. Very convenient for commuting to work and back. My current one is from Wolfman. Two caveats, though: you've got to be very careful the magnets don't pick up a paper clip, which will really scratch the paint, and my tankbag blows off the bike at 120mph, a speed I really shouldn't be going anyhow. I still buy magnetics just for the convenience.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

xprof wrote:...and my tankbag blows off the bike at 120mph, a speed I really shouldn't be going anyhow.
Have sport windscreen - maybe it will keep the bag on a bit longer - say, 130mph? BTW, whats up with these bikes, it seems to just get warmed up at 90-100 (had to go that speed yesterday to get around a big nasty truck #-o ). I can somewhat feel your pain here.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

TouraTech Tank Bag Pictures https://public.me.com/jluby8

** Edit - let's try that again. https://public.me.com/jluby8 Look in the folder named R12R_pictures **

Please excuse the doubles, I wanted to make sure the pictures were viewable so I took some extras.

IMG-0259 & 0260 - full bike shot (isn't she pretty?)
IMG-0261 & 0262 - side shot of tank showing unobtrusive hardware
IMG-0263 - rear shot of tank showing unobtrusive hardware

IMG-0264 - shot of front bag-mount hardware
IMG-0265 & 0266 - shot of front bag-mount z-clip attached to VIN plate w/ cable ties
** If I was to design this connection, I'd run the z-clip down behind the VIN plate so that the VIN number is not obstructed and so that zip-ties were not required **

IMG-0267 - side view of the bag mounted
IMG-0268 - detail of front bag mount to bag connection
IMG-0269 - detail of rear bag mount to bag connection

cheers,
Last edited by Jed on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dicebox
Basic User

Post by dicebox »

hi jed

any chance you could post those pics somewhere else, so that those of us that don't subscribe to the Steve Jobs lifestyle choice can see them?

Cheers
Lindeberg
Basic User

Post by Lindeberg »

I think the link is wrong. I use MobileMe, but the link only directs me to my own gallery.
Lindeberg
Basic User

Post by Lindeberg »

Thank you very much for the pics Jed. The TT bag is first on my list at the moment I think.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I'm getting a "Forbidden" error for the links.

Jed - I'd suggest creating a free Photobucket account. FREE, easy to use, and easy to paste the links into postings here so people can see the images without leaving this website.

Just a thought. And it's FREE! :)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

deilenberger wrote:I'm getting a "Forbidden" error for the links.

Jed - I'd suggest creating a free Photobucket account. FREE, easy to use, and easy to paste the links into postings here so people can see the images without leaving this website.

Just a thought. And it's FREE! :)
Point taken. It's just that I already have a web hosting service that I should be able to use and I already pay for that. I did notice that some of the links comeback with a "404 error" prolly due to a permissions problem that I don't have time to sort out right now. But I think most of the links work. Certainly the MobileMe public folder should work.

cheers,