Riding shoes. Boots. Whatever

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Riding shoes. Boots. Whatever

Post by Xdot »

Problem: protect feet while riding and in the event of an accident. :smt107
Problem: look presentable and be comfortable working in the office ](*,)

These problems have competing requirements. :smt071 :smt072 One asks for safety and over-the-ankle height. The other suggests some level of all day comfort and professionalism. Is there anything out there that is a reasonable compromise? No, I don't need race level protection, nor am I going to a board meeting.

What have you more experienced riders found that works reasonably well for this broad requirement. :smt102
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Riding shoes. Boots. Whatever

Post by Keppelj »

Hmmm, some taste issues as well as practical ones. I teach at a university and ride to work. I've thought real MC boots would be odd and for full days too hot in a heated building. I ended up with Ecco Tack 2 which are comfortable, cover the ankles (in the taller version), are waterproof and can be shined. I have both brown and black and I do hit them with polish and a brush now and then. You can hike in them all day long too, if you want - their intended use. But in a formal office they wouldn't do. An engineer, doc or teacher yes, stockbroker, no.
Rider Rick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 934

Post by Rider Rick »

Not a difficult fix :). Buy a pair to wear around the office and leave them there.
2004 Red R1150R
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Depends on your job, what is acceptable. There are lots of zippered boots out there with some protection and the only indication they are for riding is the toe reinforcement for the shifter.

I used a pair of Sidi On-Roads for years and was very happy with the comfort and waterproofness. After a long and happy life, they were replaced with TCX Infinities and I am less than happy with both comfort and waterproofness!

The On-Roads will go under pants with not much showing to give you away!

Keppelj - ironically, I wear the Ecco Track 2 boots every day to work. Unless I am riding, when I switch to MC boots! :lol: They are great for everything else though. I just don't like laces on footwear when riding.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I ride in Combat Lite's year round and keep a pair of shoes under my desk to wear at work. This affords me protection on the bike, comfort at work and saves the soles on the boots. You can have something that does an okay job at both or one each that do a great job for the intended task.
2004 Roc.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I have gotten laces caught on pegs more than once and gone down BOOM! Not on a road bike. I learned that lesson off road and always tuck loops under the laces. Good thing. An R1150R would be a bit more to fall on me than a WR250F!

You know, those Combat Lites are just the old HiPoint ProGP motocross boots. I have a pair that I wear when riding trials. I love them. Best boots ever. They are still sold by Alpinestars as the SuperVictory. Still have the awesome metal shin guard.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
aja1739
Basic User
Donating Member #: 858

Post by aja1739 »

I do consulting work, and when I have the opportunity to ride the bike to a client I just carry a pair of shoes in my topcase along with my laptop. I just stash my boots along with my pants, jacket, and helmet somewhere out of the way in my office or an empty conference room.

The bigger challenge for me is not looking like I slept in my friggin' clothes when I get out of my gear! A one-hour ride will turn a starched oxford shirt into a wrinkled mess! Oh well.... guess that's why they invented 'no-iron' shirts and pants. :D

Good luck,
Andrew
JML
Basic User

Post by JML »

I wear these Red Wing boots. They're marketed as motorcycle boots, have worn well over 5 years, are comfortable enough to wear all day, were cheap compared to other motorcycle boots, and appear to be just black hiking or work boots. Hiking or work boots might not be acceptable in all places of work, but they are much more mundane than many motorcycle boots.

Their main drawback is that they do have laces.

bigjnsa
Basic User

Post by bigjnsa »

I wear a pair of Wolverine lace up style boots. Perfect for the bike and work!
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

Xdot wrote:Problem: protect feet while riding and in the event of an accident. :smt107
Problem: look presentable and be comfortable working in the office ](*,)

:smt102
Very good question.
For many years I had Sidi On-Road Sympatex. Very nice boots. Sometimes I would change them in the office and sometimes I would wear them all day long. Under the jeans they sure do look like a regular shoes (almost). :-k
Recently I got the new Sidi Adventure Rain boots. Excellent boots with the best protection money can buy. I was trying to convince my son to get them too, but he opted for the Sidi BT2 racing boots. I don't think he is very happy with them. He did spent 100 bucks less than me, but he got what he paid for. I do like SIDI line, but I think that racing boots are not for walking. My riding buddy went down with his K1200 LT, wearing boots with the laces. He sure did have good laces. Lace got cot by the shifter and he was dragged by the bike about 15 feet. Turns out those laces are much stronger than his leg, which ended up to be broken in two places. :cry:
For the best protection, good looks and comfort, I would go for SIDI Adventure Rain. $375.00 with 10% OFF ;)
Excellent choice for what you looking for.
Good Luck.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Xdot wrote:You know, those Combat Lites are just the old HiPoint ProGP motocross boots. I have a pair that I wear when riding trials. I love them. Best boots ever. They are still sold by Alpinestars as the SuperVictory. Still have the awesome metal shin guard.
I cannot speak for the Aerostich Combat Lites built prior to 2005, but mine are made by Sidi and have no metal shin protection. Although it does appear the basic design has been used.
2004 Roc.
MoraleHazard
Basic User

Post by MoraleHazard »

I wear m/c boots to work and change in my office. If I had a plant or engineering job where boots were acceptable footwear, I'd do something w/ Redwings or Wolverwines or what-have-you
2004 R1150R Rockster
1991 EX500
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I have a pair of 8 year old BMW "Summer Boots" I got at a discount at dealer open house.

They wear like sneakers and I love 'em.
Fit for the dress code at work. Black, Leather, comfortable.
(I'm a cube rat with a casual dress code.)

I am ready for a replacement boot and will be looking to try on a pair of Sneaker 3's at the next BMW rally with vendors.
I got wide feet and the summer boots I have actually fit fat Americans, unlike all other Euro based apparel.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ker-boots/

Can't get a riding boot (without a Harley logo on it) to fit so I wear my no slip sole, steel toed Wolverines as a heavy boot.

I hope BMW kept the sizing metrics on the Sneaker 3 the same as my old summer boots.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Don't know how you folks can ride in heavy hiking/work/Harley-esque boots. A few years back I tried to maximize riding time via customer trips using R1150R, and to accomodate needs for PPE at industrial facility, I used my steel toe boots while riding... hated the lack of feeling for pegs, shift and brake levers! It's surely an acquired taste.

My long-time current favorite boots are Oxtar/TCX Jupiter Gore-Tex. I'm still using an original Oxtar pair of Jupiter 1s, but have new Jupiter 2s in a box awaiting the time for a fresh pair. Very comfortable while riding and walking, lightweight but with some moto-specific protection. Mostly waterproof if you don't allow water in the top.

Given the opportunity to commute by bike, I would wear the Jupiters, but still likely change into appopriate work shoes or loafers in the office, just to keep feet cool and happy.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

sweatmark wrote:... and to accomodate needs for PPE at industrial facility, I used my steel toe boots while riding...
There are tales of folks losing toes to the back edge of the steel cap :shock: during a spill from the bike so just for your interest the use of PPE boots for riding is generally considered a No Go in the UK.

I can see why you wouldn't want to have to carry two pairs on the bike though.

I've used a pair of these Alt-Berg boots for about 6 years and they still polish up pretty well. I know they are not cheap and shipping to the US would hike the price up but when you decide they are getting a bit rough, Alt Berg will totally refurbish them for you for less than 50% of the new price.

I used to travel to meetings and sit there in my riding trousers and boots (but those guys knew me pretty well so made allowances :) )
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

Great replies. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I know the problem now: I have kids heading to college and can't afford what I want! Looks like it's hiking boots for the foreseeable future.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

cruiserworks.com Very comfortable. I've had mine eight years and one resole--still going strong.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I like that cruiserworks. Wonder if they'll start production back up?
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

If you're a size 12 or 13 I've got a set of harness boots that have 'street cred' that you can have for the cost of shipping from 13165.
Used to wear them to / from work & while I was there. Adjusted to 'perfect fit / comfort' with old Birkenstock footbeds (sole removed) stuck inside.
Ask for a nice pair of Combat Lites for Christmas; you'll love em (once their broken in).
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I found my new boots.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpi ... s-closeout

Alpinestars.

I went to Revzilla in Philly and tried these on, as Euro sizing is for skinny feet. These things are comfy, made for the "US market", translation, fat feet!

79.95, free shipping, and they look as good and as ordinary as any black shoe.

Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.