Florida to Arkansas Trip advise

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

PrinceBooger
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Florida to Arkansas Trip advise

Post by PrinceBooger »

I'm in need of some local or experienced knowledge of the best secondary roads to make my way from North Florida to Paris, Arkansas. I'll have 4 days of travel to make my way there and I would really not like to ride any roads that are congested or boring. The more bends and beauty the better! Anybody able to give me some advise or suggestions? Jerry Heil with Hannigan fairings will be installing my new fairing and lowers on May 25th. This is the reason for our trip. I'll be taking the long way back and I will be happy to share my impressions and opinions of this modification, PrinceBooger
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Florida to Arkansas Trip advise

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

generally, look for the squiggliest lines across Ms and Al
Across N La, La 2 is a nice road, but nothing you come across will compare to Ar.
Paris is in a good location, but the best roads, the greatest numbers of them will be N of I 40.
FYI, Mt Nebo is VERY steep

A tip that works in Ar, though is look for green areas on the map suggesting forest or park, etc. Then look for the gray roads going through them. Never been burned on one of those yet
Russellvile has horrendous drivers. Of course you know about Turner's Bend and Oark, right? Two places to get decent food or a coke in the middle of riding. Very nice people also.

Write if you have any more questions.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
PrinceBooger
Basic User

Post by PrinceBooger »

Thanks Doc er...John, I have been "looking" over my AAA state maps and I have decided to come through Natchez on 84 and will peel off on 124N to 559 to 4 to 846 to Monroe. I was going to work my way to 15N to 558 to 7 and head into El Dorado, AK. How does that look so far? Local knowledge always beats guess-work.

We'll be departing from Madison ,Fla. and I expect to get to Natchez, Missisippi by days' end so that's where I will be coming into Louisiana from. Thanks, Marc er...PrinceBooger
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

I've been on 84 and it's just ok, If they are squiggky and you have the time go for it. You might also check ADVrider.com, regional forums for La and look around or ask.

I've found 7 to be better for traffic in the N rather than the south. Did you see my Arkansas ride report? It might be helpful???

I think it's here, too, but this is it in advrider
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573985
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I did an Arkansas trip a couple of times. Here's my report with some maps too.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11036
Duckdave from this forum is from AR. He can give you great local knowledge!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Paris itself is pretty nice---eat at the Grapevine Restaurant, just a block or two from Hannigan's. I'm sure Jerry can give you some good pointers, maybe he'll give you a loaner while he works on your bike? He's about got a museum of bikes at the shop. Couple of years ago we had an R1150R.net Fall Bash near there and toured Hannigan's---spent about 3 hours there.

Couple of destinations: Mt. Nebo State Park (near Dardanelle, dense hairpins on an 18% grade), Petit Jean State Park (ride across Petit Jean mtn). Visit Eureka Springs by going up Hwy 23 (aka The Pig Trail), stop at Turner's Bend, return via Hwy 21 thru Kingston, or vice versa. These two are great highways. From Turner's Bend, go a little bit north to Cass and pick up Hwy 215 E that runs along the Mulberry River, stop at The Oark Cafe for lunch. Take Hwy 103 S out of Oark for return.

Decent (that's an understatement!) east and west rides through the Ozarks include Hwy 16 and Hwy 74.

Highway 7 north of I-40 has great sweepers, but lotsa hogs going at parade speed on weekends. South of I-40 Hwy 7 is a real treat, especially between Ola and Hot Springs. Again, it can get crowded on weekends.

Highway 123 is jumping. Pick it up north of Lamar, stop at Haw Creek Falls (if the creek is low, it's an easy ford and just a short gravel road to the Falls, nice). Next 123 runs with Hwy 7 for just a few miles, then veers of to the right...after that, be sure to HANG ON!

Get a Arkansas State Highway map---great map and it's free. The state also has a pamphlet of motorcycle rides that's good. Jerry Heil will have a copy of "Arkansas Rider's Guide" by Mario Caruso. This is a great guidebook for motorcycle rides in AR. Highly recommended.

That ought to keep you busy for a few days.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
PrinceBooger
Basic User

Post by PrinceBooger »

Thanks, DuckDave! I can't say that I've seen an 18% grade. For sure, not in Florida! I will use your recommendations as I will be heading up to Omaha, AK. upon my Paris departure.

I have spent several thousand miles up in the Smokies on my prior, 02', RT, 2-up. I expect typical BMW brake performance, hotter brakes= more power and no fade. I will be putting my new Roadster to the test on this trip. My RT NEVER disappointed us in the mountains! I will be measured in what I ask of the Metzeler Z-6's, however. I've rode the mountains on Dunlop 205's and 220's, Metzeler Z-6's, and, my favorite, Conti Road Attacks. Unfortunately, my Roadster came with the Z-6's and I have to spoon on my second rear tire for this trip. The Z-6 front has left me disappointed with its' "hold" and feedback. It pushes more on the lighter Roadster than it did on my heavier RT! Does anyone have a recommendation on other brands of sport-touring tires? I ride fairly aggressively and I seem to be getting only 6-7K out of my rear tires. I've yet to mount a multi-compound on. Michelin Pilot Road 3 and Dunlop RoadSmart lead in my interest so far. Thanks for the help, PrinceBooger
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have the Pilot Road 2 on right now, but my favorite tire on the 1150R is the Pilot Road 1. It has been the best rain tire by far that I have had on the bike, and has performed well in the dry. Good milage too. The Bridgestone 021's werre sticky, but only lasted about 60% of the Michelins, and Metzelers that I have had.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Going to respectfully disagree w Jeff.
I found the PR2s better than the PR1s and they don't sing like the PR1s did.
I took delivery of a pair of PR3s that will go on in the next few days

John
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Oh I need tires. If only I knew for sure and for certain that PR 2s or PR 3a were as sticky as my z6's. PR1's were dismal for me! Must decide soon
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Love my Z-6s.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

GypsyRR wrote:Oh I need tires. If only I knew for sure and for certain that PR 2s or PR 3a were as sticky as my z6's. PR1's were dismal for me! Must decide soon
PR3 are sticky and love mine. Cant compare with Z-6's however.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
PrinceBooger
Basic User

Post by PrinceBooger »

As you can see by my # of posts', I am not as hard wired into this stuff as others. I am surprised that I have not heard any Conti Road Attack input. I put 68,800 on my 02', RT, and found that bike an amazing mount! I've rode quite a few "Smokies" miles and have multiple "KillBoy" photos of my wench and I dragging parts on this great machine, 2-up (if I could figure out how to include them on this forum I would like to share these).

A buddy of mine came by to see if my power brake issue on my 02', RT, had resolved itself by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, it did. He watched as I rode 45mph, down my street, and I grabbed all the front brake I could, and the "old" RT picked up the rear wheel 4", 6", and 12" on the last "brake test". That was with the Conti Road Attacks mounted. That is another area where the Z-6's have not matched, braking performance. I can say that the Conti have the "oats" for hauling it down. They have also never pushed or telegraphed anything but "confidence" while pursuing the additional chamfering of my centerstand legs on my "old" RT. The best mileage I got from the Conti's in Florida, however, was only 7K from the rear. The front and rear got changed at the next tire service interval.

I found with this new (and 150lbs. lighter) bike, I need to lower my tire pressures 4-5 lbs. from what the RT did best with. It is much better at these lower pressures, but, at the increased lean angles, it runs wide from the line I pick. I will be mounting a new 'set" upon my next tire sevice and I will move to another brand other than Metzeler the next time it needs shoes. I look forward to help on this matter, PrinceBooger
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Stella! got new shoes today.
I mounted a pair of PR3s--man that is work.

Just to be certain I called Michelin to be sure there is no light side to the tires--no dot. There is none. Well, maybe there is though. Balancing them required 1.5 oz in the front and 2 oz in the rear. I do have the metal valve stems though..still.

ON my first set of PR2s I got nearly 12k, on this set I prob could get a couple k more, but getting ready for a trip so thought it best to change them at 9k. They are a helluva lot easier to put on a rim than a z6. I've been very pleased with their performance.

John
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Switched to PR2s of necessity on trip back from Pinehurst to Little Rock. Love them too!!! Never would have believed it. Milage dependent, I may be a convert.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580