dead R850R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

cristofa
Basic User

dead R850R

Post by cristofa »

Rode to an event 40 miles away and bike behaved normally.

Got on to return home - raised the side stand - turned on the ignition - no whirring from the petrol pump and the starter button did nothing. Headlight bright, so battery good.

Wondered if side stand kill switch was sticking, so took the stand off and WD40ed and jiggled the switch - no change.

The bike is '98, 58K and in good generally health.

Am completely mystified but reckon/hope someone here will know what's going on ...

Chris
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: dead R850R

Post by boxermoose »

If it's not a safety interlock issue (there is also a switch on the clutch), kill switch left on, or the normal corroded battery post my next check would be the hall sensor
TANSTAAFL
cristofa
Basic User

Post by cristofa »

boxermoose wrote:If it's not a safety interlock issue (there is also a switch on the clutch), kill switch left on, or the normal corroded battery post my next check would be the hall sensor
oh dear! :oops: had the bike a year and never used, nor registered the existence of the killer switch (I know, I know)! Someone at the classic car event must have fiddled and switched it on and I didn't notice - so problem solved, thank you very much boxermoose!
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

BTW, and just for the record, from my experience with a failed hall sensor, the starter motor will merrily turn over the engine, but nothing happens.

Occasionally, the engine may fire up, but only runs for a few seconds...... but the starter does turn the engine.

regards,CrazyCam
Beedee
Basic User

Post by Beedee »

What do you mean with kill switch?
The red lever left of the throttle?
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Easy enough done cristofa

I once went to start the bike, electrics on dash fired up, fuel pump cycled but when I hit the starter - NOTHING!
Checked the kill switch, checked the sidestand, both OK.
Baffled and a bit flustered I went inside and rang to cancel the appointment I was trying to get to.
Turned out I'd been trying to start the bike in gear!

On another occasion - after owning the bike for a couple of years - I looked down at the dash to see a green warning light on. I'd never noticed it on before. Rode home, consulted my riders booklet to find out it was the the low beam on warning light. In NSW Australia our legislation means low beam is hard wired on. That warning light had been on all the time (I mean for 2 years) - I just hadn't noticed/hadn't registered/had forgotten/had a brain explosion.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing