Air filter and spark plug change recommendation

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Air filter and spark plug change recommendation

Post by hjsbmw »

Thought I might share my impressions:

I thought the 12k air filter change interval is a bit overly cautious. I changed mine recently and had all kinds of leaves, bugs, and road debris come out. Pulling the filter fans apart made sand and asphalt chips fall out. I know the filter was in there for 12k because I installed it myself. It seems a good interval.

I also changed the plugs. They were right at the wear limit of 1mm. I changed them at the recommended 24k mile mark, so this interval also seems to be spot on. The idle got noticeably smoother. Actually, the engine never idled so well. I did all other service points 2 weeks ago, so I can say with certainty that the improved idle is due to the new plugs. Strangely, I don't see any improvement in fuel mileage. YMMV.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: Air filter and spark plug change recommendation

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Harald, I wanted to adjust my valves for the first time last weekend. But got stuck with no way to remove the plugs. Got my bike used, and there was no plug wrench in the too kit. Can anyone advise of an easily sourced socket that will fit in there?

Thanks
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote:Harald, I wanted to adjust my valves for the first time last weekend. But got stuck with no way to remove the plugs. Got my bike used, and there was no plug wrench in the too kit. Can anyone advise of an easily sourced socket that will fit in there?
Thanks
I am using a generic Stanley plug wrench that came with a ratchet wrench kit. It has to be slim enough to fit. Mine looks similar to this one: http://www.tooltopia.com/k-tool-interna ... =nextag_r1 It's by no means a BMW-specific tool, and I have used it on other bikes and cars also. What you also need is an extension for your ratchet since the primary plugs are seated quite deeply. If memory serves I'd say the extension I use is about 8" long.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

Guys... try a pawn shop...go throgh there 3/8 drive sockets and extensions..less than $ 10.00 should get you in business. I found a S-K 4421 5/8 spark plug socket, it's 3 7/8 long and has a 7/8 outside diameter works great. Harbor freight sells wobble extensions,allowing for aprox. 8 t 10 degree deflection allowing you more hand/tool room making for fewer busted knuckles. When scrounging for the spark plug sockets always check to see if the rubber insert is inside the bore of the socket...it's the gizmo that catches the top of the spark plug so the plug lifts out of position with the socket preventing the plug from dropping onto the floor screwing up the visual inspection. Thinking outside of the box will reveal all kinds of neat tools... good hunting!
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Harald, I have a socket like in your picture. But a standard deep well socket (or plug socket) it too fat to fit in the hole. The Nippy Norman's looks like the trick, but I ain't goin across the pond just for this item. TinkerToy, A check of your 7/8" diameter spec with my socket shows that mine is slightly under 7/8 (a few thousandths), and it doesn't go in the hole. It does look like a thin wall might do the job though.

Has anyone bought a socket from Sears that they know works?
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

If you don't want to go through Nippy Normans, try Wunderlich

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 60234.html
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

I was told by a member here that he just used the socket listed below and it worked fine. He said that the outside diameter of the socket is .856". So if your socket is larger that that it might not work. My 5/8 socket from Seard was to large. It was .875" OD. I had to put it on the lathe and turn it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/extended-r ... 91705.html

Roger L
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Now we're talkin' Roger! I'll be right near a harbor freight store on Sunday. Will stop in and see if they have this. Thanks :D
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

tinkertoy apologizes to ya all, the socket I said works, S-K 4421 doesn't [It measures .874'' OD] The harbor Freight socket looks like it's the anwser
rokinrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by rokinrider »

I love harbor freight!!!! 8)
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
eduardobelmonte
Basic User

Post by eduardobelmonte »

Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote:Harald, I wanted to adjust my valves for the first time last weekend. But got stuck with no way to remove the plugs. Got my bike used, and there was no plug wrench in the too kit. Can anyone advise of an easily sourced socket that will fit in there?

Thanks
My friend, the cheapest, good and easy one is sold at the lawn and garden area in Walmart.
It works fine for primary spark plugs on my BMW R1150R, 2004.
For the secondary it is a bit too thick,
so I filed the outside corners of the hexagon in order for it to work.

This tool is sold for something like 5$ at Walmart. Inexpensive and effective.

If you want to use a torque wrench all you need is to use an epoxy to fix a long socket at the other end of the tool.
You can roughen the surfaces so the epoxy works better tying both parts.
The torque you need to apply to the spark plug is not that high, so the epoxy is more than capable.

Well that's all folks.

Eduardo.
Last edited by eduardobelmonte on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xfjr

Post by xfjr »

I hope I'm not overlooking the obvious, but to get to the plug you need a good stick coil puller, not that stupid plastic thing. I know people who removed the coil with a screwdriver and regretted it later. Just a thought.

Ed
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Thanks to the help from you fine people, I now have a plug socket that will work. Had a buddy turn down my socket form .873 to .856 inch and now it slips in the hole just fine! Thanks guys.