Tire milage for Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Tire milage for Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires

Post by roger l »

My R1200R came with Continental Attack tires on it and I now have over 6000 miles on the bike and the rear tire is close to needing to be changed. I put most of my miles on the bike riding back and forth to work. Most of the miles are freeway. I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires but I am interested in how long they will last. I would hope to get about 10,000-12,000 from the tires. Am I hoping for too much. Any information would be great.

Roger L
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Tire milage for Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires

Post by mogu83 »

Just put a pair of PR-3s on and I'm expecting 10K out of them. Got about that on the PR-2s with normal riding.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I have about 3k on my PR3's - and they still pretty much look like new. PR2's were 12k tires for me, I expect the same from the PR3's.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Have about 4000 miles on my PR3's now and they still look brand new. Great tires !
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

+1

I am a fan of the PR2s for both mileage and handling (not so the PR1s), and I like the PR3s better so far. They feel better in all regards. I have about 3k on them now on slab, twisties, dirt, big and small gravel, "blow sand." rain, mist, hot and cold.

They have a very comfortable ride in that they seem to help with absorption of road roughness creating a more tactile yet (for lack of a better word) softer ride. Not soft like a big American sedan that might handle like a pig, but more like improved shocks.

I may be making myself unclear, but the takeawy message is that they handle and ride better than the PR2s--and PR1s, and Diablo Stradas, and Metzler 880s. I cannot compare to the Z6s, never rode them.
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:+1

I am a fan of the PR2s for both mileage and handling (not so the PR1s), and I like the PR3s better so far. They feel better in all regards. I have about 3k on them now on slab, twisties, dirt, big and small gravel, "blow sand." rain, mist, hot and cold.

They have a very comfortable ride in that they seem to help with absorption of road roughness creating a more tactile yet (for lack of a better word) softer ride. Not soft like a big American sedan that might handle like a pig, but more like improved shocks.
+2 - What John said ... they even handled the dirt/gravel mix for almost 10 miles I threw at them on Saturday. Also, really handle well in the twisties. Prior tires were Pirelli Scorpions (good tire), however, believe I like these a bit better.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

I got PR2s ....and have about 6000 miles on them. I think maybe another 4000 miles before I have to replace them. I did experience the ridges from the middle wearing and highway miles.... but most of the ridges have almost disappeared. I like currvvey roads. I like em. =D>

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi folks.

I came across the following comment about PR3s in a FZ-6 forum, it was copied across to a Triumph forum.

Now I dunno about the local conditions and geography of the US, so the place names mean little to me, but the idea of the tyres (sorry, tires) falling apart in hot conditions, I find a bit of a worry, since I live in Australia.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-gene ... post410571

BTW, I have been extremely happy with the PR2s on my BM.

regards,CrazyCam
xfjr

Post by xfjr »

I typically get poor tire life due to our very abrasive roads (chip & seal, Ark), so anything over 6K miles on tires is good for me. I've gone through 3 sets of PR2s on an FJR 1300 and know they stick very well so I was hoping for more milage on the R1200R. The bike came with PR2s and I got 6600 miles on them. I now have 5000 miles on the PR3s and they probably have another 2k on them. They're scuffed to the edge and still rounded. I consider this very good. I have a good balance of twisties to Interstate miles, ie. 3000 twisties to 2000 straight stuff so I think they are very good and a slight improvement over the PR2s which came on the bike. The handling with the PR3s on the R1200R is excellent. They are a bit more pricy than some of the others but I intend to stick with them. I'll post a final mileage when they come off just to document how well the actually did. So far, so good.

Ed
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

CRazyCam wrote:Hi folks.

I came across the following comment about PR3s in a FZ-6 forum, it was copied across to a Triumph forum.

Now I dunno about the local conditions and geography of the US, so the place names mean little to me, but the idea of the tyres (sorry, tires) falling apart in hot conditions, I find a bit of a worry, since I live in Australia.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-gene ... post410571

BTW, I have been extremely happy with the PR2s on my BM.

regards,CrazyCam
Gulfport, Ms is about 75 miles east of New Orleans, on the Gulf of Mexico. Slidell is between NO and G'port on Interstate 10, a high speed limited access highway. A miserable road. It gets very hot down here and this summer has seen repeated temps in the high 90s F daily. Concrete roads buckle in this heat.

There is some serious criticism of this guy's account of what happened. And there have been no other accounts of such a failure. I am riding PR3s in the same weather. I love them.
But, prudence dictates to be wary.
If you go to the link, make sure you read it to the end. Suffice it to say, not everyone is buying his story, true though it may be.

John

PS both tires have dates of 0811. The front was made in Thailand; the rear Spain. Both look good. I have put a lot of miles on them--a few hundred at least in temps 97 and greater, many of them fully loaded with luggage and cases and topcase
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Dr. Strangelove wrote: Gulfport, Ms is about 75 miles east of New Orleans, on the Gulf of Mexico. Slidell is between NO and G'port on Interstate 10, a high speed limited access highway. A miserable road. It gets very hot down here and this summer has seen repeated temps in the high 90s F daily. Concrete roads buckle in this heat.

There is some serious criticism of this guy's account of what happened. And there have been no other accounts of such a failure. I am riding PR3s in the same weather. I love them.
If you go to the link, make sure you read it to the end. Suffice it to say, not everyone is buying his story, true though it may be.
Hi John. Thanks for that, I had no idea of where the bloke was talking about.

It certainly seems odd, given all other stories are from happy users.

Basically, while there is a possibility of a bad batch of tyres, one single tyre being bad is fairly unlikely.

Frankly, the only time I have seen or heard of a tyre chunking even vaguely like that one has been caused by way too low pressure in the tyre causing extreme overheating.

Since I have only recently put a fresh set of PR2s on my BM, I won't have to worry about it for a while. :)

regards,CrazyCam
monstrous
Basic User

Post by monstrous »

I have 10k miles on a set right now, they are chopped a little but still have good tread depth, and they are not gassed/heat cycled out. They were getting a little flat in the center from commuter duty but a recent spirited 90 miles on the Tail of the Dragon seems to have rounded them off a little. I think another 2k or so and they will be totally shagged. I will be replacing them with another set of the same, very happy. Be sure to check the "born on date" on the sidewall when buying tires, it is easy to buy a set that is 2, or 4 years old and not know it, fresh tires work better and last longer.
R1200GS
2011 FLHTK
06 FLSTC
98 DR350SE
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

Wow, Continentals almost shot in 6,000 miles. :doubt:

Ive been getting 10+ from Pilot Roads...down here in Fla...including a track day and a Lee Parks Class.

But I have been thinking of upteching to Road Twos or Threes....but not if the mileage is not appreciablly more.
IBA #50026
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

maybe not appreciably more, but my PR1s sang--the PR2s and 3s do not. Love the handling on the 3s>2s>>1s.

just my experience
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Dr. Strangelove wrote: There is some serious criticism of this guy's account of what happened. And there have been no other accounts of such a failure. I am riding PR3s in the same weather. I love them.
John
I read the thread to the end and something (many things) don't seem right. I guess there could be a few bad tires out there but given that these are sport touring tires (tyres) I'm sure that a lot of guys are running them at high speeds on hot pavement. At least in the top part of the planet. If this gentleman's tire problem was commonplace their would be many more reports.
I recently rode home from the Guzzi Rally (I still go to them) in Iowa back to Jersey in one day, 1078 miles, high 90's touching into the low 100's and God only knows what the pavement temperature was, sunrise to well after sunset, 14+ hours and the tires performed perfectly. I have the greatest confidence in these tires.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi all
this tyre is on my wish list ,have read a few write ups and everyone is pleased with them , 7000 miles plus is a bonus with any tyre on a 1200 cc bike . :D
some days its not worth chewing through the straps and chains in the morning
monstrous
Basic User

Post by monstrous »

I changed the Pilot 3's with 16,500 on them. Switched to the new, and we will see if improved Pilots 2000 miles ago, so far so good.
R1200GS
2011 FLHTK
06 FLSTC
98 DR350SE
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

I have been running 2's for the past few years and like them a lot. I'm game to try the 3's but as long as the 2's are available cheaper I will probably stay with them as I seem to run through 2 sets a year. I always get 10K out of them. The front seems to start chapping up at about 6k despite trying all manner of shock adjustment and tire pressure. As for high temps I ran Nebraska and Wyoming last year with an outside temp of 106 deg @ approx 90mph. The only thing I noticed was some slight graining on them. They work well in the rain and even do Ok in mild snow (yes I got caught out and had to do about 40 mi in 2in of snow). My riding bro has switched to the 3's and he swears they perform better than the 2's but he only has about 1500 on them so far.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I used to love michelins, but after they ruined an expensive F-1 race weekend at Indy in 2005, I vowed never to buy another one again. I have always got decent life and performance out of many other brands. going to spoon on some stones BT-023's (GT version) in a thousand miles or so. Got about 10,000 miles out of one front and two rears of continental conti-motions.
ASK WHY
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

i found the pr 2's clearly superior to the pr 3's in every regard- will be going back to pr 2's.