Headlight bulb upgrade?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

VerneB
Basic User

Headlight bulb upgrade?

Post by VerneB »

I bought a 2000 R1100R about four weeks ago. Wonderful motorcycle, and great to be riding again after a hiatus of about 20 years. I wonder what I was thinking?

Low beam filament burned out the other day, so I need a new headlight bulb. I have a friend who upgraded his GS bike's bulb to something with higher wattage and burned out his switch as a result. I don't know how much higher the wattage was over stock, but I'd very much like to avoid cooking a switch at the same time as I'd like the best light performance possible.

My bulb options are 55w/60w (which I believe matches the stock bulb -- does it?), or a higher-zoot bulb that's 60w/67w. Will the stronger bulb cause me any issues?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks,

VerneB
The Meromorph
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Headlight bulb upgrade?

Post by The Meromorph »

You need a relay wiring harness for the headlight, and then a Hella 80W/100W H4 headlight bulb from Amazon. Eastern Beaver does a really good harness.
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
VerneB
Basic User

Re: Headlight bulb upgrade?

Post by VerneB »

In the long run, I think you're probably right. I looked on the Eastern Beaver website and it all looks pretty straightforward. In the short term, though, I'm just going to get a new bulb and go riding.

Thanks.

VerneB