2004 R1150R - Update for better understanding of issue

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwgsrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

2004 R1150R - Update for better understanding of issue

Post by bmwgsrider »

I am wondering if anyone knows a place that will test the computer board on a 2004 R1150R to be able to tell if the computer board is good or bad?

Or does someone know how to be able to tell if it is good or bad before putting the bike back together as the bike is apart right now.

Thanks so much in advance.
Last edited by bmwgsrider on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: 2004 R1150R

Post by towerworker »

First time I've heard that question. Probably need to ask that question of a service dept.

The motronic computer is easy to access after bike is assembled though. It sits right below the fuel tank. Do you have reason to suspect it may have troubles?

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

The motronic very rarely goes south. The only way to fry the board is either a short-circuit or false polarity. Do you have any reason to suspect that yours is damaged? If not I would just install ... And in any case the motronic is easily accessible as already mentioned by Wayne.

Brgds
Oliver
bmwgsrider
Basic User

Post by bmwgsrider »

My dad is thinking the computer is bad. He replaced the battery and after replacing the battery the bike wouldn't start with a new battery. He got the key stuck in the ignition switch and finally got that out and replaced the ignition switch. He did testing and think the fuel pump was not working... when testing the fuel pump and etc. from suggestions from a different post it all tested out properly. He thought the side stand switch was bad and replaced it. The bike has been apart for several years as he has not had time to put the bike back together as he been busy with this job. My dad after testing things thinks and feels its the computer that went bad that is causing the bike not to start. My brother currently has the bike and doesn't want to put the bike back together without having the computer tested to see if it is good or bad.

I guess its best to get everything back together and than start over from scratch on figuring out the problem with the bike? My brother was wanting to eliminate the computer before putting all back together.

Thanks.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Well, just from changing the battery the motronic certainly has not gone south. Neither the ignition nor the side-stand switch. Hence to change part after part without analyzing the cause or measuring the circuits with a good voltmeter is not the right approach. The motronic is rather robust.

As said, the motronic is easily accessible under the tank hence if I was you or your brother I'd put this baby together again and then analyze the circuits and if need be see the dealer and let them find out. If it then turns out that the motronic is fried you can get same on *-bay from any 1150 model (needs to be programmed for your bike by the dealer).

Brgds
Oliver
bmwgsrider
Basic User

Post by bmwgsrider »

omg1010 wrote:Well, just from changing the battery the motronic certainly has not gone south. Neither the ignition nor the side-stand switch. Hence to change part after part without analyzing the cause or measuring the circuits with a good voltmeter is not the right approach. The motronic is rather robust.

As said, the motronic is easily accessible under the tank hence if I was you or your brother I'd put this baby together again and then analyze the circuits and if need be see the dealer and let them find out. If it then turns out that the motronic is fried you can get same on *-bay from any 1150 model (needs to be programmed for your bike by the dealer).

Brgds
Oliver
I do know circuits have been tested via a good voltmeter and I don't recall all the details of testing which is why leaning towards the computer but I feel its not. I am going to call my brother and discuss the situation with him and hopefully will get the bike back up and running.

Thanks for the insights.
bmwgsrider
Basic User

Re: 2004 R1150R - Update for better understanding of issue

Post by bmwgsrider »

The problems is the fuel pump...

When you hook the fuel pump wires up with the wires on the bike, the fuel pump doesn't work. The fuel pump will work when by pass the wires on the bike. Trying to figure out the cause to the problem... which is why thinking the computer is the problem.

I would appreciate insight to what maybe causing the problem to where the fuel pump will not work.

Thanks.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

This could be a fuel pump relay problem. Try swapping relays in the fuse box to see if it'll work. I assume you know the relay is only actuated for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition on, and then very briefly at every half revolution of the crankshaft (if the Hall Effect Sensor is working) until the engine's running.

Good luck
Rich
ADIOS!
bmwgsrider
Basic User

Post by bmwgsrider »

Sunbeemer wrote:This could be a fuel pump relay problem. Try swapping relays in the fuse box to see if it'll work. I assume you know the relay is only actuated for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition on, and then very briefly at every half revolution of the crankshaft (if the Hall Effect Sensor is working) until the engine's running.

Good luck
Thanks for the information.

The bike wouldn't start. I failed to state this part.