R1100RL Resources

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

TwinRider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 830

R1100RL Resources

Post by TwinRider »

Haven't been active on this board but mainly because I was riding an F650GS Twin. I'm having to change/slow down my riding style a bit and have purchased a 2001 R1100RL to keep me in the game. I really enjoyed making my F650gs "my own" and now will do a little of the same to this bike (I've made promises that this bike won't be quite as much "me" this time ;) ).

My first big question is in regards to what other models/years have parts and accessories that will be compatible with this bike. Is there a single resource that I can go to that is a cross reference? Can anybody point me to a place where I can get started. I will probably be looking at seats and windscreens first (based on my F650gs experience).

Any and all all will be appreciated!

Thank you!

T...
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1100RL Resources

Post by omg1010 »

Hi T...

unfortunately the R-Models are not compatible to any other model series or generation. At least when concerning any seat options or fairings/windscreens ... Engine and other technology is a different issue. Here the 1100 models (R/GS/RT/RS) share pretty much the same stuff.

I am afraid you will have to search for aftermarket seats and windshields by entering those parameters (like "R1100R seat") in a search engine of your choice and see what is coming up. But probably some of the other members here will come up with some references for you.

Brgds and enjoy the ride with your fine bike!
Oliver
TwinRider
Basic User

Post by TwinRider »

Thank you for responding! Even if I'm not real happy hearing how "Special" my bike is, at least I won't be wasting a lot of time looking in the wrong places. My main concern has been about the comfort of the seat because of my previous experience with my F650gs Twin, but I have since found out I am comparing apples to oranges, and that the stock seat on the RL is much more comfortable than the same on the F650gs.

I'm jumping the gun a bit on making any changes cause I haven't even seen the bike in person yet. A friend of mine is riding it over a 1000 miles to get it to me in Minneapolis, and will have it to me by tomorrow. I do know that if the seat isn't quite to my liking (I'm 6'2", 260+), Spencers in Florida is very reasonable and does great work. The bike has less the 20K miles on it, and overall, really looks great, according to my friend. There are no current issues, but I really want to be prepared so that I don't have a piece of "garage sculpture" that I won't be able to ride.

Thanks again, and here are a couple of pics that the previous owner sent me:

Tom ...

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi TwinRider.

Thanks for posting the pictures, I was wondering what an R1100RL looked like.

I have the R850R, a very similar model, and, from the pics, it see that your new bike seems to have what looks like a non-standard exhaust system fitted, with the muffler riding low, so that you can have two decent sized panniers.

About the seat, if it is the same as mine, there are three positions that the seat can be mounted in.... hi, medium and lo.

If you lift the front seat, you should find an allen wrench/key clipped to the under side of the seat, and the two obvious seat supports, can be unbolted from their current position and moved to be higher or lower.

It certainly looks good with the black and white stripe business, and, you should get plenty more miles out of it.....20 grand is hardly run in.

I wish you very much joy of the bike.

regards,CrazyCam
TwinRider
Basic User

Post by TwinRider »

Thanks for the tip about moving the seat support! I moved it as far back as I could.

I have found a significant change in my riding position, but still not quite enough to deal with my large size. If I worked with a custom seat guy I could probably get it to a point where it would be acceptable, but I'm not sure if I want to go there. I spend on spending some time riding it tomorrow in the new position to see how it works over a few miles or maybe about an hour of riding. I really do love everything else about the bike! It has great looks and is in excellent condition. With the Two Brothers exhaust, it has more than enough power and sounds like a bike to be reckoned with! Someone told me it is the first BMW that I have owned that actually sounds like a motorcycle.

But right now I am leaning towards selling it before I get too attached. I've added a few extra pics to see via my SMUGMUG Account.

This is the support bracket that I moved:

Thanks for your help - it really has made a difference!

Tom ...